Dell Latitude 2100 Discussion on the Dell Latitude 2100, a rugged 10-inch netbook released to the educational market.

(#1) Old

Unhappy Windows 7 Upgrade for XP Latitude 2100's? - 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM

I ordered one of the refurbished Latitude 2100's off of the Dell Outlet on 8.28.09 with the XP operating system. I seem to very specifically remember during the ordering process that it said I qualified for a Windows 7 upgrade (and boy do i wish i had a screenshot). When the computer arrived I didn't get anything indicating the availability of an upgrade either way.

I called today 9.29.09 and after getting transfered all around Dell's call centers I got a person who was willing to commit an answer to my question... Do I qualify for the upgrade and if not why did it say Windows 7 upgrade during the ordering process of my preconfigured XP machine? I was told "No you don't" and then was talked down to by someone who seemed to get awfully rude when I mentioned I was quite positive I saw it during the ordering process where it listed what was included as part of the machine. Long story short I was told I didn't know what XP was vs. Vista, that I ordered it a long time ago even though i didn't say anything about wanting to return it(I bought it one month, one day ago) and some other humerious things by the person on the other end of them phone.

This isn't as much of a complaint as I don't expect much from computer company call centers (and while i hate saying this, judging from the accent and rude demeanor of those who i talked to, they weren't anywhere in the continental United States), but more of a question... Did those of you with an XP machine get anything regarding a Windows 7 upgrade?. I seem to remember some people saying with their XP machines that they were sent Vista upgrade disks in addition to the XP ones, which i assume gets you to the point where you can run the Win 7 upgrade.
  (#2) Old

Default Upgrade? - 09-30-2009, 01:04 AM

The only Lat 2100 that qualifies for the upgrade is the XP Pro with Vista Business. You are probably referring to the Windows 7 box on the left of your cart when you were buying it. That shows up in everybody's cart no matter what you are buying. It is a dropdown with more info on what models qualify. A little misleading. I've never experienced any that were rude, exasperating YES.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM

Don't get your hopes up...but you might try this link and see what kind of results you get.

Dell Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program

A+ Certified,
Tech wannabee!
  (#4) Old

Default Windows 7 - 30 bucks - 10-01-2009, 12:35 AM

If you happen to know a student or have a student email address, try www.win741.com, students get a copy for 30 bones.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-01-2009, 03:59 AM

I just registered my 2100 on the Dell Win7 upgrade site and it said it is eligible to receive the upgrade. My 2100 came with XP Pro installed but has the Vista Business DVD and COA. Thanks for the link to the upgrade page, mileslb56.
  (#6) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 06:12 AM

Well I have one computer that qualifies for an upgrade so I'll see how much I enjoy it on that computer. Although if I upgrade the 2100, I think i'll need to take a hard look at upgrading the 16gb ssd... I'd love a larger SSD but the price of regular 2.5 HDD's are clearly more attractive.

I tried registering for the Dallas Win7 launch party and overview event. I got waitlisted because it was already filled. I was hoping for a copy via that event.
  (#7) Old

Default 11-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Just got an email from Dell saying that the free Win7 upgrade for my 2100 is available and completed the order process.
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-11-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4crs View Post
Just got an email from Dell saying that the free Win7 upgrade for my 2100 is available and completed the order process.
Did you get yours through Outlet?
I'd be surprised if any Outlet computer qualified for the upgrade.
Is the upgrade just starter edition?
If so nerts to that.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#9) Old

Default 11-12-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Did you get yours through Outlet?
I'd be surprised if any Outlet computer qualified for the upgrade.
Is the upgrade just starter edition?
If so nerts to that.
Yes got it through the outlet. It had XP Pro with the Vista Business License. I went to the upgrade site and registered it and the site said it was qualified for the free Win 7 Professional upgrade. If they are giving it away, I'm taking it!
  (#10) Old

Default 11-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4crs View Post
Yes got it through the outlet. It had XP Pro with the Vista Business License. I went to the upgrade site and registered it and the site said it was qualified for the free Win 7 Professional upgrade. If they are giving it away, I'm taking it!
Yeah, that's got me looking hard at getting a 2100 just to noodle with. Touchscreen AND free win 7? No brainer (just need a coupon to roll around...) .