Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old

Default NetbookInstaller kills bcdedit bootloader - 09-28-2009, 02:58 AM

Hi folks -

I might just be missing something obvious here, but every time I've updated and run NetbookInstaller on my Dell 9 it causes my custom bootloader (via bcdedit) to break. Specifically, it causes both the Windows 7 and Mac OS X partitions to return that the boot device cannot be found.

I've found fixes for this online, but it's a huge PITA to fix this every time I rereun NetbookInstaller. Is this a known issue, or is there a way to work around this so my setup doesn't break?

Dell Mini 9
Two partitions: Windows7 on one, Mac OS X 10.6 on the other.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-28-2009, 03:33 AM

Known issue; the work around is to uncheck 'install chameleon boot loader' unless there is an actual update to it (which is seemingly rare compared to the rest of the package). I think meklort said something about fixing this in the next RC of netbook installer, but don't quote me on that.

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7
  (#3) Old

Default 09-28-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shines on View Post
Known issue; the work around is to uncheck 'install chameleon boot loader' unless there is an actual update to it (which is seemingly rare compared to the rest of the package). I think meklort said something about fixing this in the next RC of netbook installer, but don't quote me on that.
Oh, makes sense. Thanks for the heads-up!
  (#4) Old

Default 09-29-2009, 01:10 AM

What are you doing to fix it? I can get my dual boot setup to load into Win7 but it gets stuck at Darwin/x86 whenever I try to get into SL. I'm using EasyBCD 2.0 beta but I'm not positive that I have it configured correctly. I can get into SL just fine booting from my USB but the EasyBCD loader doesn't do it.

Thanks.

-=|| Mini10v | 2GB | 120GB | BT | Win7 Pro | OSX 10.6.2 ||=-
  (#5) Old

Default 09-29-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
What are you doing to fix it?
I tried using the steps outlined in this post but I was getting an error when I ran step two. So what I did was:

1. Boot into my Windows 7 USB flash install image.
2. Run the "fix startup" process to fix Windows 7.
3. Boot back into the installed (and now fixed) Windows 7
4. Delete the Mac OS X listing in bcdedit - note that I was using the release version of bcdedit, and not the beta.
5. Quit bcdedit, and then relaunch it and re-add the mac partition.

I've had the bootloader broken issue three times now, and all three times this process worked to fix it.