Dell Streak Support Forum for Dell Streak owners to get help and support for their Streak.

(#1) Old

Default android.process.acore constantly force closing. Froyo - 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Hi all. As of yesterday I have a problem which is stopping me from using my Streak. When I start up, I get the lock screen as normal, but when I unlock it I immediately (< 1s) get android.process.acore force closing on me. When I choose Quit, it refreshes the screen icons and widgets briefly then force closes again, etc. etc. I have taken the battery out and put back in with no difference. I'm running the official Froyo 2.2 update. Phone bought outright from Optus here in Australia.

I'm guessing a factory reset would do the job, but I see that as a last ditch solution. I have not backed up unfortunately.

I did update a few apps yesterday.

Also, my phone turned off overnight. I found that the back cover was loose and replaced it.

Thanks for any help.

Edit:

Slight update. I have found a way to get some access to the device. I have Advanced Task Manager (ATM) running, and if I'm quick to pull down the notification bar I can tap on ATM and can get into its 'kill selected tasks' menu. I can also get to its uninstall menu. While I'm in that menu the force closes slow down a lot, but happen maybe once a minute. I have uninstalled quite a few apps that run in the background, but still get force closes. I can't access the home screen at all, e.g. to swipe to another home screen.

I did notice one thing. The main home screen seems to load fine, and the one to the left (which for me the the web bookmarks stage widget). On the 'right' I have the Contacts stage widget, which doesn't seem to get drawn at all (that is, widget background does but the contact icons don't come up). Could it be something to do with the contacts widget? I've never had a problem with contacts before. Is there any way I can remove widgets from my home screens without having access to the home screens, e.g. via an app? Thanks.
  (#2) Old

Default 01-19-2011, 11:19 PM

I have also experienced the same issue and mine is also an Optus Dell Streak.

I constantly get the process.acore crashing as soon as you swipe to unlock the streak.

It is also running the official 2.2 froyo build for it.

I also haven't unfortunately performed a back-up since going to 2.2 so my last resort is wiping it clean and starting again, but I'd prefer it if I didn't have to.

I somehow managed to get into the Settings page and disabled the auto updates for Twitter and Facebook but still no luck. I can't even get back into there now...

Very surprised how this happened out of nowhere.

If anyone can help that'd be really appreciated.
  (#3) Old

Default 01-20-2011, 01:35 AM

Did it just start happening for you as well? That would be some coincidence. I haven't had anything like this problem before. I have actually been able to get onto the market, download 'backup everything' and managed (eventually) to back up everything. Maybe you could do the same if you can get something running (i.e. get away from the home screen). Any idea what I should do now? Factory reset? Thanks for any ideas.
  (#4) Old

Default 01-20-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmer View Post
Did it just start happening for you as well? That would be some coincidence. I haven't had anything like this problem before. I have actually been able to get onto the market, download 'backup everything' and managed (eventually) to back up everything. Maybe you could do the same if you can get something running (i.e. get away from the home screen). Any idea what I should do now? Factory reset? Thanks for any ideas.
Yes it did start happening for me as well just out of nowhere at basically the same time as you.

Yesterday I noticed that the dell logo in white (seen when you first start the phone) was stuck and I didn't make much of this and thought I'll take off the battery cover and re-boot it. This didn't solve my problem, and then when I did eventually manage to get it started it just constantly keeps showing the process.acore error and no matter how many times you force close it, or report by LOTA, or save to SD card, the error still occurs.

I tried removing the SD card and as I mentioned disabling the automatic updates for twitter and facebook without luck.

I did manage before to somehow press the Options button while the home screen is loading after acore crashed, and went into Settings, which seemed to stay fine with only crashes happening every few minutes.

I will try again to get into the app market, but I think if I can back it up, I will then definitely do a factory reset and then restore back.

Very strange that its happened to you as well and I thought could it only be me? But after a quick google I came across this thread as well.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Here is a video link of what mine is doing

It's very strange but it still fetches email updates as you can hear the notification ringtone, and you can also still change the volume while it is crashed.
  (#5) Old

Default 01-20-2011, 02:15 AM

Bizarre. Sounds like exactly the same symptoms. I'll check out the video link after work. It'll be interesting to see if any more people are having the same issue. I guess, being backed up (hopefully it worked in between all the force closes) I can do a factory reset. Might wait until I get home and will report back.
  (#6) Old

Default 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM

I had just the same issue yesterday. I did a factory reset and it is working fine again. - So I assue some Android SW issue.
  (#7) Old

Default 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

I did the same thing. Factory reset fixed it. Don't really want to have to go through that too often.
  (#8) Old

Default 01-29-2011, 01:21 AM

I had this issue the other week, it was right after a contacts sync in which I'd done lots of deleting of duplicate contact details and it told me I had too many deletes. I chose to do the sync anyway, and it all went crazy! After playing around I realised that I couldn't open my contacts and my messages would open, but then the error message would appear, and in the background I could see my inbox, but no contact details for the message threads, just phone numbers.

Dell's backup and restore also failed on the contacts backup every time I tried it, and when I went to view my backed up texts in my SMS backup app it said there were no contact details. This led me to the conclusion that my contacts must have been corrupted, causing the error. The only way I could find to remove all the contacts was to factory reset unfortunately, I don't know if there's a way to delete it if your rooted though. All of your contacts should be synced to your Google account, so they should be reinstated when you next sync.
  (#9) Old

Default How do I factory reset it? - 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM

I can't access my settings or anything. & the same thing is happening to me!