Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Dual boot loads Win7 but shuts off during Mac boot - 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM

I've been searching the forums but havent been able to find an issue quite like mine. The title says most of it. Dual booting a 10v, Win7 loads with no problem, but MacOSX gets to the white screen with the apple, the progress bar briefly shows up and then the netbook will turn off.

Been having this issue for several months now, but didnt really have a need to get back into the Mac side until now. I'm pretty sure I didnt do any updates to mess up the software side, and the fact that the Win7 side works leads me to believe there's no hardware issue, so I'm pretty stumped.

Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old

Default 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM

try booting with -f -v -x or recovery=y Stuff happens, no logic

Last edited by jmacie; 11-22-2011 at 06:57 PM.
  (#3) Old

Default 11-22-2011, 10:48 PM

from what you describe that sounds like kernel panic. what version of osx do you have installed? if it was 10.6, it sounds like you updated to 10.6.8, which is a bad thing, and probably means you need to completely reinstall osx, making sure only to go as far as 10.6.7. i made the same mistake the first time i installed osx, and it's a bummer, but we live and learn. try booting into osx using your netbookinstaller thumbdrive, if that doesn't work then this is definitely your issue
  (#4) Old

Default 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetilley View Post
it sounds like you updated to 10.6.8, which is a bad thing, and probably means you need to completely reinstall osx, making sure only to go as far as 10.6.7.
Or you could boot into single user recovery mode, and copy nawcom's 10.6.8 legacy kernel.

Reinstalling from scratch is a last resort. I don't think it's "probably" necessary.