General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Win7/OSX dual-boot primer - 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM

This is intended as a guide to installing OS X and Windows 7 on your Mini. Certain instructions are glossed over due to their coverage in other guides, which are linked and referenced below. I have tried to make this guide comprehensive but not verbose. All of this information is available on these forums, but scattered across half a dozen different threads. If I have omitted any steps or been unclear, please PM me.

Reading material:
http://mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-i...hod-t3925.html
http://mydellmini.com/forum/problem-...20.html#p28024

You will need:
  • One small USB drive for DellMini123.[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • One 8+ GB USB drive for the installers.[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • Optional: 2nd 8+ USB drive to save time.[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • Windows 7 32-bit image (.iso). I used the official Microsoft beta, build 7000.[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • OS X 10.5.6 retail DVD image (.dmg).[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • PC with Windows Vista OR Windows XP + HP format utility[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • TransMac[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • VirtualCloneDrive[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • EasyBCD[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • DellEFI[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • DellMini123 for 10.5.6[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • Optional: OSXDVD. Only needed if your OS X install DVD image does not fit on your 8 GB USB drive.[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  1. Make your large USB drive bootable. Windows Vista instructions (if someone gives me instructions for the HP utility, I will add them):[list:w6wyvk6v]
  2. Open diskpart.exe[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  3. list disk[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  4. select disk <your USB drive>[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  5. clean[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  6. create partition primary[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  7. active[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  8. format quick fs=fat32[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  9. assign[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Open VirtualCloneDrive and mount your Win7 image. Copy all files to your large USB drive. Do NOT rename bootmgr as some other posts suggest.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Win7 install drive on the right side of your Mini. Boot your Mini, hit 0, select USB Storage. The installer will start.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Click through the first two screens, then hit Shift+Fn+; (Shift+F10) to bring up a command prompt.
  • diskpart.exe[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • list disk[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • select disk <your hard drive>[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • clean[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • convert GPT[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • create partition EFI size=200[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • create partition primary size=<size in MB for OS X partition>[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • create partition primary size=<size in MB for Win7 partition>[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • select partition 3[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • format fs=ntfs[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • assign letter c[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]While the partition is being formatted, go back to your PC and turn your other USB drive into a DellMini123 boot drive by following mechdrew's guide (linked above).
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]When the format is finished, exit the Win7 installer and shut down your Mini.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Move the large USB drive to your PC. If you have the optional second 8+ GB USB drive, use that instead.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Open TransMac. Right-click your large USB drive, Format Disk -> Format with Disk Image.
  • Optional: If you are using an 8 GB USB drive and this fails, you will need to use a compressed disk image. Right-click in the left half of TransMac, Open Disk Image. Right-click the image, Compress.
    [/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • (cont.): Right-click your USB drive, Format Disk -> Format for Mac, HFS+. Give the disk a descriptive label like "OSXINST"
  • (cont.): Select your USB drive on the left side of TransMac. On the right-side, right-click, Copy Here. Copy your compressed image and rename it live.dmg.
  • (cont.): Copy the System and Library folders from OSXDVD.zip to the USB drive in the same way.
  • (cont.): Click Tools, Show Hidden Files.
  • (cont.): Expand your image, expand HFS+Volume. Find mach_kernel on the right side, drag it to your desktop.
  • (cont.): Select your USB drive again. Copy mach_kernel to the disk.[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
Your USB drive should now look like this:
  • mach_kernel[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • live.dmg[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • System (dir)[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
  • Library (dir)[/*:m:w6wyvk6v]
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]DellMiniBoot USB drive on the left side of your Mini, OSXINST drive on the right side. Boot your Mini, hit 0, select USB Storage. If your Mini gets confused and does not boot off the correct drive, try again with the OSX drive removed, and insert it later.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Press Esc, then type 81. This should be hd(1,0) OSXINST. If it's not, try 80 or 82 instead. Press enter to boot the installer.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Utilities -> Disk Utility. On the left side, right-click disk02s, Erase. Select Extended, Journaled. Erase.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Exit Disk Utility and run the installer. Once done, the installer will say it has failed because it cannot set the startup disk. Ignore this.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Shut down your Mini. Remove both USB drives.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Optional: Remake your large USB drive into a Win7 installer, if you do not have a second drive.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Win7 install drive on the right side. Boot your Mini, hit 0, select USB Storage. The installer will start.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Select Custom install. Choose partition 3. Install.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Boot into Windows, run Windows Update.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Install EasyBCD. In EasyBCD, Add/Remove Entries, Add an Entry, Mac, Generic x86 PC, Save.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Shut down, insert boot drive on the left side of your Mini. Boot your Mini, hit 0, select USB Storage. Press Esc, switch to your OS X partition. This is probably 81, hd(1,2). When I did this, my Mini hung at the Apple logo. I rebooted and tried again with the -v flag, which worked. YMMV. I'll update this after others report their experiences.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Run DellEFI from your boot drive.
[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][*]Reboot.[/*:m:w6wyvk6v][/list:w6wyvk6v]

Pat yourself on the back, your Mini is done!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Win7/OSX dual-boot primer - 04-30-2009, 04:46 AM

Thank you for this!

Theoretically you could also do this with XP instead of Windows 7, no?
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Win7/OSX dual-boot primer - 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM

Just an FYI: I was able to dual-boot X and 7 this without these:

* PC with Windows Vista OR Windows XP + HP format utility
* TransMac
* VirtualCloneDrive

I installed OS X, repartitioned the empty space, installed Win 7 on that, set partitions active, then installed EasyBoot. It has been working okay for months, but I'm worried about Snow Leopard and Win 7 final... OS X and DellEFI updates have gone without a hitch, though.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Win7/OSX dual-boot primer - 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddeth
Thank you for this!

Theoretically you could also do this with XP instead of Windows 7, no?
No. W7 and Vista will install and boot off a GUID partition, XP will not. And technically, Vista and 7 don't like to install to a GUID partition, but the above methodology is a way around it. All of the XP/OS X dual boot guides I have seen use MBR.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Win7/OSX dual-boot primer - 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharles
Just an FYI: I was able to dual-boot X and 7 this without these:

* PC with Windows Vista OR Windows XP + HP format utility
* TransMac
* VirtualCloneDrive

I installed OS X, repartitioned the empty space, installed Win 7 on that, set partitions active, then installed EasyBoot. It has been working okay for months, but I'm worried about Snow Leopard and Win 7 final... OS X and DellEFI updates have gone without a hitch, though.

Yeah, you can dualboot without those. Depends on how you do the install. For me, I didn't use the HP format utility, but rather one that came with a different set of tools. TransMac was a must because I needed to rip my OS X install DVD. VictualCloneDrive, didn't use it. If I remember right, I just used WinRAR to extract my ISO. But, that was going completely optical drive-less.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides