General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default MAC OS X - USB Method - 04-17-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm using the USB method to put OS X on my Dell Mini 9 as shown on the How-to section.

For the creating the Type11 USB Boot "disk". I did the following but I still get an "kernel not found" error when i boot up. I don't know what i am doing wrong. PLEASE HELP.

1. Downloaded the syslinux on a windows machine (from that link on the USB how to section)
2. Expanded the syslinux file to its own folder on my desktop on the same windows machine
3. Formatted my 128mb to FAT 32
4. Went into the DOS prompt, went into the syslinux directory, then into win32 directory
5. typed syslinux -ma f: (f is my USB drive) (when i do this.. it seems like something happens in an instant and there are 2 hidden files put on USB)
6. Then i copy ALL of the contents from the syslinux file (from step 2) onto the USB drive. (it asks to replace one file and i say no)
7. I put this USB on my left side of the dell and my mac os x USB on my right side.
8. I enter setup (do all of the legacy stuff) and change boot order to removable drive and i tried USB drive also.
9. I save changes and restart.
10. computer starts up, but says "Could not find kernel image: linux"
  (#2) Old

Default Re: MAC OS X - USB Method - 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM

C'mon guys. 22 view and no help? Please help. Am I copying the right files on the boot USB after running the syslinux -ma f:
  (#3) Old

Default Re: MAC OS X - USB Method - 04-17-2009, 01:21 PM

I think you are doing it wrong.

You must do this to create the USB bootloader:

1) download the dellminiboot from here: http://mydellmini.com/forum/dell-min...-01-t3464.html
2)unzip it and mount the ISO with a prog like UltraISO, PowerISO, alchool52% (there are a lot)
3)copy the content of the ISO (NOT the ISO itself) on your USB pen.
4) download the syslinux program and unzip it
5) run dos promp and type syslinux -ma f:

now you have the bootable USB pen to begin the OSX installation (with another 8GB pen or usb DVD reader)

You must not copy the syslinux file on you usb pen. on the pen you must copy the file from the dellminiboot iso (point1-2-3) BEFORE you run prompt to run syslinux -ma f:

Hope it helps
  (#4) Old

Default Re: MAC OS X - USB Method - 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM

HI ALL. Thanks to everyone for their help. I finally got OS X on the Mini 9. If I can do it, anyone can. Thanks again!