General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default could not find kernel image: linux - 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM

after finishing putting all the stuff on my 2 USB drives, i plugged them in with small on the left and big on the right, and after pressing 2 and selecting to boot from USB it says "could not find kernel image: linux". then it gives me the "boot:" and a place to type. what do i do?!?!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: could not find kernel image: linux - 03-22-2009, 06:04 AM

Try redoing the smaller drive.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old

Default Re: could not find kernel image: linux - 04-05-2009, 07:27 AM

I've got the same problem. I've tried two different USB pen drives with the same result. "could not find kernel image: linux boot: _"

Now what?

~~~~Sara Lynn~~~~
Mini 9, OS 10.5.6, 32 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz Atom, 1.3 MP webcam, White with Decalgirl Skin - MacBook Pro 17 inch, 2.4 GHz Core 2, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, 1920 x 1200 Hi-Res Glossy LCD, Bootcamp/Parallels OS X and XP SP3
  (#4) Old

Default Re: could not find kernel image: linux - 04-05-2009, 08:09 PM

I figured it out. Okay, I'm a girl, so you can bet I did something wrong! And, I did.

I did NOT explode the contents of the .ISO image when I wrote it to the USB stick, just copied the image. Wrong! Once I opened the .ISO image and copied the contents all worked as advertised! Note: this has to be done on a Mac, Windows will not let you see the contents of the .ISO image. I then had to re-do the OSX DVD image on the big partition of the USB stick, because it was buried in a subdirectory and the boot routine couldn't find it. I'm waiting for the DVD to finish imaging now. If I did that right, I should have a OS X Mini 9 by tonight.

Cheers!

~~~~Sara Lynn~~~~
Mini 9, OS 10.5.6, 32 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz Atom, 1.3 MP webcam, White with Decalgirl Skin - MacBook Pro 17 inch, 2.4 GHz Core 2, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, 1920 x 1200 Hi-Res Glossy LCD, Bootcamp/Parallels OS X and XP SP3
  (#5) Old

Default Re: could not find kernel image: linux - 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaralynn
Once I opened the .ISO image and copied the contents all worked as advertised! Note: this has to be done on a Mac, Windows will not let you see the contents of the .ISO image
It can be done also in Windows, with a lot of programs: UltraISO, PowerISO, Alcohol120% and much more

I think from your sentence that MAC OS can open ISO files without any additional prog, it can open ISO natively, right?
  (#6) Old

Default Re: could not find kernel image: linux - 04-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katte
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaralynn
Once I opened the .ISO image and copied the contents all worked as advertised! Note: this has to be done on a Mac, Windows will not let you see the contents of the .ISO image
It can be done also in Windows, with a lot of programs: UltraISO, PowerISO, Alcohol120% and much more

I think from your sentence that MAC OS can open ISO files without any additional prog, it can open ISO natively, right?
Yes, OS 10 can. XP, with the software I use on my machine, won't let me view the contents of an ISO image. I thought WinZip might, but no go. OS 10 did, with no issues. It saved my bacon, too!

~~~~Sara Lynn~~~~
  (#7) Old

Default Re: could not find kernel image: linux - 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Where is this ISO file that you all are talking about? I don't see it. PLEASE HELP!!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: could not find kernel image: linux - 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM

HI ALL. Thanks to everyone for their help. I finally got OS X on the Mini 9. If I can do it, anyone can. Thanks again!