Dell Mini 10 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 10

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Complete Guide to Dual Booting 10v with Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.2 - 12-20-2009, 05:23 PM

UPDATED Jan 3 2010 to support adding Windows 7 on the second partition of an already functional Snow Leopard install For posterity, the original version of this guide is attached as a text file below.

With this guide I’ve tried to list every single...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdoc View Post
I assume VMWare Fusion is looking for a Windows bootloader. It won't find one because Chameleon overwrites it (I think) during install. The boot0: error is a Chameleon error message, indicating that it failed to boot from disk 0. I have no idea how to help you with this.

However, I will provide a bit of unsolicited feedback: I cannot imagine that virtualizing W7 on a slow Atom processor with 1 GB of RAM is going to be a pleasant experience. I've tried this with Parallels on a MacBook Air (with 2GB RAM) and it was unusably slow.
I just wanted to test it to see how it would act before upgrading to 2GB. I just have one application that I need to run. It doesn't work too well with wine. Anyway thanks once again for your help.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM

Just wanted to add my "thanks" to this thread. Everything worked great and my new 10V is dual booting SL and Windows 7 Ultimate. Good job on the guide!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serhito View Post
I just wanted to test it to see how it would act before upgrading to 2GB. I just have one application that I need to run. It doesn't work too well with wine. Anyway thanks once again for your help.
I'm in the same boat. I have one application--Graphpad Prism for Windows--that I use occasionally for data analysis. I tried today to get it to work under Wine with WineBottler. No luck. So I dual boot just for that one program. I hope you find a solution!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:12 AM

I was reading around on this guide (just for fun, my dual-boot works perfectly) and came up with a little theory that could use some proof.

When doing the dual-boot, perhaps if Windows is installed on the first partition, it is unnecessary to remove the USB when repairing the install, but if it's installed on the second partition, you need to remove the 7 USB before repairing. My reasoning is that perhaps the bootloader repair program looks for the first NTFS (or insert Windows-specific thing here) drive it comes across, and for some reason the order is: 1st partition, USB drive, 2nd partition.

Is anyone willing to help validate this?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Great FAQ, thanks.

But - I have a prob: Lack of access to a mac means I followed the PC route and ended up with a small and a large USB key to install the mac OS.

On bootup (which seems pretty randome whether it works or not!) I can choose my mac setup disk - but it then gets past the apple and onto a splash screen that says (in several languages) that I have to reboot my computer in order to continue - hold my finger down on the on/off switch for 5 seconds. Of course, this does not work and I end up in the same place. I'm doing the F12 thing etc.

I'm guessing that I should just try and get hold of an Intel based mac and give that a go? BIOS is A06 btw.

Thanks,
Sword
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword View Post
Great FAQ, thanks.

But - I have a prob: Lack of access to a mac means I followed the PC route and ended up with a small and a large USB key to install the mac OS.

On bootup (which seems pretty randome whether it works or not!) I can choose my mac setup disk - but it then gets past the apple and onto a splash screen that says (in several languages) that I have to reboot my computer in order to continue - hold my finger down on the on/off switch for 5 seconds. Of course, this does not work and I end up in the same place. I'm doing the F12 thing etc.

I'm guessing that I should just try and get hold of an Intel based mac and give that a go? BIOS is A06 btw.

Thanks,
Sword
That's odd. I didn't follow the entire PC guide since I have a Mac, but I made the two bootsticks just to make sure that process was working. It booted easily and quickly to allow me to boot from the SL install USB stick, and upon choosing that drive it landed me directly in the first SL install page, where it asks me to choose the language for my installation. Do you see that page? If not, I suspect there's a problem with your SL USB image. I'm going to assume here you are using a retail SL DVD. If so, remake the SL USB stick and see if that fixes it. If you're not using a bona fide SL disk there is no way to know the disk image you are working with is error-free.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 PM

i've got my dual boot set up but in osx my cpu says unknown so I'm not able to install silverlight. I've run the newest netbook installer.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolzero View Post
i've got my dual boot set up but in osx my cpu says unknown so I'm not able to install silverlight. I've run the newest netbook installer.
Go to the list of fixes I link in Phase 7, step 3. Scroll down until you see (and let me know if this fixes it! Thanks!):

3. "About This Mac" Fix ***This package works with NBI 8.3rc5***"

Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdoc View Post
Go to the list of fixes I link in Phase 7, step 3. Scroll down until you see (and let me know if this fixes it! Thanks!):

3. "About This Mac" Fix ***This package works with NBI 8.3rc5***"

Thanks I will give this a try. Should it not be necessary to do though since I have the newest NBI?

Ok it lets me change the name and I named it 1.6 GHz Core 2 but it silverlight still thinks I have a powerpc. Is there something else I should name it?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolzero View Post
Thanks I will give this a try. Should it not be necessary to do though since I have the newest NBI?

Ok it lets me change the name and I named it 1.6 GHz Core 2 but it silverlight still thinks I have a powerpc. Is there something else I should name it?
I searched "silverlight" on this forum and found this that might help:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...ac-solved.html

Search is your friend!

-virusdoc
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools