Dell Mini 10 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 10

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Complete Guide to Dual Booting 10v with Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.2 - 12-20-2009, 05:23 PM

UPDATED Jan 3 2010 to support adding Windows 7 on the second partition of an already functional Snow Leopard install For posterity, the original version of this guide is attached as a text file below.

With this guide I’ve tried to list every single...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Exclamation Stirring it up!!

Hello All,

Thanks for your reply Virusdoc,

I'm glad i posted what i did now, i seem to have stirred up the solution to many off our problems.

but it has to be said that virusdoc's write up is still the BOMB!!, Thanks again Vir..

I will also help in anyway i can, I will back up my config at the mo, **If on windows only, you can use paragon free backup utility to back up all partitions and i managed to save 149GB down to 15GB < yes the whole disk pretty much** , but if on snow leopard then yea best bet carbon copy app. Then you can fanny around with the installs as you like + if it all ****s up you can restore and have done with it!!

I would also like to thank all who are replying and trying to find the perfect install guide with SL on the 1st partition.

It is my dream to have SL and win 7 on here with SL nice an quick!!.

Again thanks to all espically VIRUSDOC u ROCK!!! lol

Peace out!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdoc View Post

I would just re-run NetBookMaker on your friend's Mac (download the most recent, 0.8.3 alpha) and point it to your SL USB stick. I think there is something mucked up with the boot files on your drive. See if that fixes it.

I went to WalMart and bought another USB Stick from a different manufacture...restored the image and ran NetbookBootMaker on the stick...the netbook still locks up about 2 seconds into the boot from the USB stick...I've downgraded to A04...A05...and back to A06 bios and there's no difference.

I wonder if I should share this with Meklort??? I'm not really upset with the unit right now...but I'm about 2 minutes from a new Craigslist posting
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted_2000 View Post
I went to WalMart and bought another USB Stick from a different manufacture...restored the image and ran NetbookBootMaker on the stick...the netbook still locks up about 2 seconds into the boot from the USB stick...I've downgraded to A04...A05...and back to A06 bios and there's no difference.

I wonder if I should share this with Meklort??? I'm not really upset with the unit right now...but I'm about 2 minutes from a new Craigslist posting
Is USB legacy support enabled in the BIOS? And you're just booting from a single USB drive, not using the NBI_img small USB bootloader? Can you boot to the W7 USB? Are you hitting F12 during boot and selecting the USB drive as your boot target?

I'm inclined to say there is a bootloader conflict going on here, and that you're not booting from the USB stick, but instead from a corrupt bootloader on the hard disk. If this is the case, booting into the W7 installer and deleting all partitions, then starting over, might be your best option. Wish I were in front of your machine to help.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Is USB legacy support enabled in the BIOS? And you're just booting from a single USB drive, not using the NBI_img small USB bootloader? Can you boot to the W7 USB? Are you hitting F12 during boot and selecting the USB drive as your boot target?

I'm inclined to say there is a bootloader conflict going on here, and that you're not booting from the USB stick, but instead from a corrupt bootloader on the hard disk. If this is the case, booting into the W7 installer and deleting all partitions, then starting over, might be your best option. Wish I were in front of your machine to help.
First is yes to everything above...w7 USB boots fine and 2 different USB sticks are failing to boot...so I'm 4sure it's something on the laptop. I can take the USB sticks with 0S X down to my daughters laptop and it boots them.

Guess I'll try to wipe it all out again...but it scared me a bit.
I'll let cha know what I see

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote:
First is yes to everything above...w7 USB boots fine and 2 different USB sticks are failing to boot...so I'm 4sure it's something on the laptop. I can take the USB sticks with 0S X down to my daughters laptop and it boots them.

Guess I'll try to wipe it all out again...but it scared me a bit.
I'll let cha know what I see

Sweet...that fixed it...guess I rather do it all over again then not to be able to do it at all

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Sweet...that fixed it...guess I rather do it all over again then not to be able to do it at all

Thanks a lot!!!
Glad to hear! I just updated the guide to describe how to add W7 to an already existing SL install. I hope this is helpful!

-virusdoc
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 PM

Nice update, though the process for anyone who knows their way around Disk Utility is fairly self-explanatory. I'm glad that you added the thing about removing the flash drive though. Overall, this is the best step-by-step guide and it was helpful to me before I tried to configure a dual-boot (I wasn't sure how to update OS X to 10.6.2 w/o breaking it )
Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Great tutorial, but I am having problems in phase 6.
After installing Windows 7, I ran SL on the USB and ran NBI. Installed Chameleon. When I reboot, I do not see this :

"After the Dell Inspiron splash screen, you’ll now see the Chameleon bootloader screen. By default, it will show you only the SL volume and a backwards progressing bar."

Instead, it goes straight into booting SL. I redid the Chameleon install without luck.

Any idea ?
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serhito View Post
Great tutorial, but I am having problems in phase 6.
After installing Windows 7, I ran SL on the USB and ran NBI. Installed Chameleon. When I reboot, I do not see this :

"After the Dell Inspiron splash screen, you’ll now see the Chameleon bootloader screen. By default, it will show you only the SL volume and a backwards progressing bar."

Instead, it goes straight into booting SL. I redid the Chameleon install without luck.

Any idea ?
Thanks.
I believe you need to re-run NBI and check the box labeled "Disable Quiet Boot". This will allow you to have a "noisy" or "verbose" boot, during which time you can choose a different partition to boot from. Let me know if this helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I believe you need to re-run NBI and check the box labeled "Disable Quiet Boot". This will allow you to have a "noisy" or "verbose" boot, during which time you can choose a different partition to boot from. Let me know if this helps.

If this doesn't do it, then I suspect your Windows partition is not marked as active. If it's not active, then Chameleon won't add it to the boot list.

Yes that was it. I looked at your instructions again and sure enough I checked it when I wasn't supposed to.
Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. It made it much easier than I thought.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

I am trying to run the windows 7 partition as virtual machine in SL with Fusion. When starting the virtual machine I get a boot0:error message.
Any idea what to do to fix this ?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serhito View Post

I am trying to run the windows 7 partition as virtual machine in SL with Fusion. When starting the virtual machine I get a boot0:error message.
Any idea what to do to fix this ?
I assume VMWare Fusion is looking for a Windows bootloader. It won't find one because Chameleon overwrites it (I think) during install. The boot0: error is a Chameleon error message, indicating that it failed to boot from disk 0. I have no idea how to help you with this.

However, I will provide a bit of unsolicited feedback: I cannot imagine that virtualizing W7 on a slow Atom processor with 1 GB of RAM is going to be a pleasant experience. I've tried this with Parallels on a MacBook Air (with 2GB RAM) and it was unusably slow.
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools