General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Snow leapord successfully installed on Dell Inspiron 11z - 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Finally I got my Dell 11z to boot Snow leapord successfully with full resolution 1366x768, wireless, touchpad.
I had been trying to find somewhere some doc to do this and never was able to find any which moved beyond a basic install with a lot of problems after that as well.
So here it is for pple who have been frustrated with 11z and not being able to run OSX on it.

The following worked
1. Proper resolution 1366x768
2. Wireless
3. Touchpad.
and maybe other stuff as well.

Please use the following guidelines which I tried. This is a process for installing netbook though it worked for me fine on 11z.

Main Steps:
1. You will need a machine with OSX working partially to patch.
2. Using the partially working OSX on the machine, you have to patch a USB which has the restored image of the SL DVD with the netbookmaker patch.
3. Finally install OSX using the USB.

This is what I did to get Snow leopard working on my Dell 11z.

1. You need a retail Snow Leopard DVD. Just buy it, it's only $29.
2. Use ISO image to create your boot cd at osx86svboot.iso.zip
to boot and install using the retail dvd. The DVD doesnt boot directly off the DVD drive.
3. Once your in, do the partitioning in your hard drive and install OSX. It will terminate with an Install failure. This is what happened for me.
4. Just restart the machine. You should use the PsyStar ISO which you downloaded(osx86svboot) to initially boot and then select the newly installed snow leopard on your machine.
5. Sometimes it might not load proper. Restart and try.

6. Once your logged in. You should see that the resolution is 1024x768 or something. Wide and not very impressive. This is just going to help us to patch the USB with SL later.
7. Once your logged in you can use the Disk Utility and then click on restore and select the SL DVD for source and the USB for destination. This will create a installer USB with the ISO image of the DVD.
8. Download NetBootMaker from here: Downloads - netbook-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code Get the latest version
9. Run NetBootMaker on your current Leopard install (or any working Mac). It will ask you for a volume to patch, pick the USB device you restored the SL DVD to. It will create a patched install you can use to install SL.

10. Boot from your patched USB volume. Don't boot it from Chameleon, it will panic. Hit ESC at boot and pick the USB drive from the list.
11. I completely wiped my drive (EFI partition too) by running Disk Utility and re-partitioning the drive (still as single partition GUID). I just wanted to do this to make sure nothing was left over from Leopard. You probably should too. You made backups, right?
12. Install Snow Leopard removing the older one which you installed temporarily for patching the OSX on the USB.
14. SL installs and should show successful install and restart.
15. At this point you should be able to boot from your machine with the new install which has proper display, wifi, mouse etc . At times it hangs. Oops. Restart and try. Will need to find out why?

You might need to try out the following as well, but it was working fine for me. This helps you to have a bootloader in place. Will update as I do it and test it out.
1. Now you have a full SL install on your boot volume, but no bootloader. Reboot from your USB device again. In the Utilities menu of the installer, you'll see "NetBookInstaller". Run it. Ignore the "unsupported" warning.
2. Uncheck everything but "Install Chameleon" and "Install General extensions". The "General Extensions" are the graphics, bluetooth, trackpad etc. drivers, so you needn't worry about installing them.
3. Boot into SL. Everything should work except sound, speed-stepping and Ethernet. You can install the drivers for those (the same ones we've been using: VoodooHDA, VoodooPower, AttansicL1, etc.) using Kext Helper (I was not able to get installing them to /Extra to work).

When I checked what the display has been recognized or used, its GMA950 instead of GMA4500. As you know we patched, so I think the GMA950 driver used there also works on GMA4500 as well. Dont know what problems it has on the hardware if there is. So we have proper resolution anyway.
Please note that this is the process I used and it worked for me. Use this at your own risk.

NOTE: At times OSX didnt boot off and the gray screen to shutdown and restart turned up. Usually when you have a proper boot loader in place I think it should work perfectly. If your trying out with the installation only, then when you try to use -v at the boot prompt it boots proper. Oops I dont know why? Maybe the fix should be setting up a proper boot loader.

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks,
-vijay
  (#2) Old

Default 05-07-2010, 08:59 PM

After sometimes if the laptop is idle, it crashes and doesnt respond.

Also sleep doesnt work. When you close the laptop and open it, it crashes and doesnt respond. Maybe some more tweaking needs to be done.
  (#3) Old

Default 05-11-2010, 01:43 AM

Yeah it's still a liitle buggy I used leopard in Febuary but whent back a few days later but apparently you can get quartz extreme ( whatever one was used in leopard) to work. Sleep never worked but it never crashed when idle I will try to see what I can get working on that and see if it will work on Snow Leopard also they are working on a driver here GMA X4500 - InsanelyMac Forum
  (#4) Old

Default 05-14-2010, 01:39 AM

How do you boot from teh psystar DVD if you don't have a DVD drive? Should I use my Desktop for that?

Dell Inspiron 11z - Celeron 723 Processor - 4GB 800mhz RAM - Western Digital 250GB AV-25 - Intel 5300 Wireless N - Dell 365 Bluetooth - Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old

Default 05-15-2010, 05:08 AM

You will have to use an external DVD drive to do that.

If you have another OSX install running, then you should be able to restore the SL DVD image onto the USB and patch it from within that.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-16-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanborn View Post
How do you boot from teh psystar DVD if you don't have a DVD drive? Should I use my Desktop for that?
Install UltraISO and open the Pystar ISO and then write it to your USB drive.
THIS WILL DELETE ANY DATA ON YOUR USB DRIVE!
  (#7) Old

Default 05-28-2010, 03:04 AM

Hmm, followed the directions exactly, and I can't get it to boot. I can get back into the installer if I want (but I have to do it verbose), but it crashes every time I try to hit Snow Leopard... This is hardly my first Hackintosh, so I'm not making a n00b mistake, but I can't figure out what is going on. Anyone else hit this problem?

EDIT: Of course, as soon as I posted that, I got in. Had to boot off the USB key, then boot SL in Single User Mode, simply typing "exit" to boot at the prompt. That'll be a pain in the butt every time I boot, especially considering sleep doesn't work, but at least I'm finally running OS X on my portable (I have a Mac Pro in my home office).

Anyone had any luck doing software updates? I know they tend to be a sticking point with Hackintoshes...

ANOTHER EDIT: Huh, after installing the kexts that were recommended (VoodooHDA and VoodooPowerMini [there were two VoodooPowers to choose from, Mini and Acpi), I can't boot again. It seems to be painicing on the HDA rather than Power (which I am going to try Acpi this go-around)... Obviously several of you are up and running; what kexts *exactly* did you install?

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Yup, it's definitely VoodooHDA that's killing me. What version did you guys use? Perhaps the newest version doesn't work right? I guess I'm soundless for now. *shrug*

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, sorry about all the edits... I'm finding it's a crap shoot, apparently. I did the exact same thing I did to install that I did the other times, this time without installing any extra kexts, and I can't boot in. What am I doing wrong? 0_o
  (#8) Old

Default 05-28-2010, 08:54 PM

i have an 11z and and tried this and got SL 10.6.3 running fine. Use Kext Helper B7 to install VoodooHDA. Sleep dont work. I tried youtube in 720p but lags. Does the multitouch trackpad work? i tried the trackpad kexts from mini 10v but dont work.
  (#9) Old

Default 05-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman808 View Post
i have an 11z and and tried this and got SL 10.6.3 running fine. Use Kext Helper B7 to install VoodooHDA. Sleep dont work. I tried youtube in 720p but lags. Does the multitouch trackpad work? i tried the trackpad kexts from mini 10v but dont work.
Are you having boot issues? I can't find a consistent way to boot in, other than persistance. lol Which VoodooPower kext did you use? And how did you update to 10.6.3? Did you just apply the comboupdate download, or did you do it through software update? The trackpad will do two finger scroll, and recognize two and three finger taps (though you can't customize those). No zoom or rotate.

EDIT: Interesting... I installed VoodooHDA again, as you suggested, and it did cause more panics on boot as before, but I also still had no sound when I was able to boot (which was only through safe mode). I uninstalled it again. I'd rather be able to boot than have sound right now. lol

Oh, and the lag on YouTube would be because we're running a janky graphics driver. Our driver is basic at best, with no Quartz Extreme or any other advanced graphics capabilities (hence why most of the screensavers are either missing, or just don't work).
  (#10) Old

Default 05-29-2010, 02:21 AM

Hi! Yesterday I bought a Dell 11z with an Intel SU4100. Will this tutorial work with that CPU?