Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#41) Old

Send a message via ICQ to belindaloo
Default 04-10-2010, 05:15 PM

The MaxValue adapter when connected to my USB port and then connected to just an external monitor (LCD) only showed an external screen shot. When I tried to pull up a power point presentation it would not show the power point. I tried all sorts of resoutions, did trouble shooting, started and re-started the computer, etc. The MaxValue info was very limited and did not include a website for assistance (ah, cheap Taiwan!).
I updated drivers and tried just about everything else I could to make it work. I am in intermediate computer user and have a sister and brother who are advanced (IT tech support and software) so I got assistance and advice.

I did not connect it to a projector but I have no reason to believe it would have been a different situation if the basic LCD monitor connection was not functional. The unit itself was functioning and, when checking the device manager, gave the report that the unit was functioning properly and no update would have changed it.

Belinda
  (#42) Old

Default 04-10-2010, 05:40 PM

@Belinda
Reading the MV technotes, may be you have a monitor greater than 22''?
The list below doesn't include W7 among supported SO.
Do you read the customer reviews here?
Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Max Value USB 2.0 to Widescreen SVGA Adapter (MV42431)

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features

• Allows additional screens to be added to a computer system
  • Ideal for Home Office, Office, Internet Browsing, Gaming etc
  • Provides SVGA Output
  • Supports LCD/TFT Monitors up to 22" Widescreen

Technical Details

Compliant to USB 2.0 Specification
USB 1.1 connection not recommened
Adds extra SVGA screens to your PC
Supports Primary, Extended or Mirror modes
Supports 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050 Resolutions
Supports multiple units per PC, up to a maximum of 6
Supports Windows 2000, XP or Vista
  (#43) Old

Send a message via ICQ to belindaloo
Default 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Yes, Prof, read the reviews before buying and it should have worked. LCD screen not larger than 22", etc.
I doubt that it's just MY 11z that didn't work and I tried each and every screen size, resolution to make it work.
Belinda
  (#44) Old

Default 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM

hey guys!

the USB to DVI/VGA converter i got works great all round....it is exactly the same as if i was going from VGA (on a laptop) to VGA on an external LCD or Projector.

i also use it at home to connect the 11z to anything that just has the VGA port ie. where i cannot use the HDMI to DVI cable i also have.

if you can find a USB converter reasonably priced it really does just work like it would normally connecting via a VGA port.

also, it is small and no trouble at all connecting it to the 11z USB port then to the VGA cable to the data projectors in our lecture rooms.

Inspiron 11z Black, SU4100, 2GB, 320GB, 6 cell
Mini 9, White, N270, 2GB, 16GB, 4 cell
HP Mini 5101, N280, 2GB, 320GB, 4 cell, HD screen
  (#45) Old

Default 04-12-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi5 View Post
hey guys!

the USB to DVI/VGA converter i got works great all round
Hi mi5,
are you able to play movies/videos when you connect it to a vpr?

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindaloo View Post
Yes, Prof, read the reviews before buying and it should have worked. LCD screen not larger than 22", etc.
I doubt that it's just MY 11z that didn't work and I tried each and every screen size, resolution to make it work.
Belinda
Do you run W7 Starter or HomePremium on your 11z?
I've read somewhere that W7 starter doesn't manage additional monitors, but I'm not 100% sure about it...
  (#46) Old

Default 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM

Just an update, the last.
I've purchased the following adaptor and I've tested it on a external VGA monitor, playing slides and videos successfully.

http://www.st-lab.com/assign.asp?keyid=bq11

Although tech details don't say that it works under W7, the latest drivers from the link above let you install and run it as well.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in such task
  (#47) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
To convert from HDMI to DVI-D (digital) or vice-versa is cheap ($2 for an adapter). To convert from DVI-A (analog over DVI) to VGA or vice-versa is cheap. To convert from HDMI or DVI-D to VGA is expensive ($50 maybe?), since it requires an actual convertor. (Your HDMI-VGA cable is non-standard, and probably only works with select video cards.)

You could also look into USB video "cards". They aren't the highest performance, but they should be fine for Powerpoint.

link to $2 hdmi to dvi adapter do i can get the 11z to work with monitor?

thx
  (#48) Old
Guru

Default 05-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
link to $2 hdmi to dvi adapter do i can get the 11z to work with monitor?

thx
A HDMI cable plus an adapter like this (DVI-I Male to HDMI Female Adapter - Meritline.com) should let you go from HDMI to DVI, or vice-versa.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#49) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
A HDMI cable plus an adapter like this (DVI-I Male to HDMI Female Adapter - Meritline.com) should let you go from HDMI to DVI, or vice-versa.
thx.

but shouldnt it be Female DVI-I to Male HDMI Adapter ?

i dont remember what the end of the dvi cable is, but the hdmi port on the 11z is definitely female.

so i at least need a male hdmi to fit into it?
  (#50) Old
Guru

Default 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
thx.

but shouldnt it be Female DVI-I to Male HDMI Adapter ?

i dont remember what the end of the dvi cable is, but the hdmi port on the 11z is definitely female.

so i at least need a male hdmi to fit into it?
You can use either adapter, but you'll still need a cable. Combining the adapter I linked to together with an HDMI cable makes a "HDMI-DVI" cable. Combining the adapter you linked to with a DVI cable makes the same thing. But I prefer the adapter I linked to, because then the bulky, heavy adapter is hanging off the robust DVI port, not the flimsy HDMI port on the other end.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit