Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Arrow battery not charging - 10-23-2008, 01:02 PM

I just received my mini 9 yesterday and I thought all was well. HA! I only had 4GB of my 16GB formated but no big deal thanks to your forum I managed to fix that. I used it all last night liking this little machine. Last night I turned it off plugged it in and went to bed only to find this morning that it didn't charge? Whats up with that? Has anyone had this problem? When the mini is on it shows that it is running off AC power and battery charging (1%). However this number never changes. It doesn't charge. I tried simple things like removing the battery and putting it back in but no luck. I think I'm just going to return this one and give up on the mini because I'm afraid of future issues. I am running on the factory installed Ubuntu. If anyone has any suggestions or fixes before I send this back I appreciate it.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 10-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Check the Aircraft Manager control panel. Try enabling and re-disabling Aircraft Mode. Looking at the code it seems this manages charging as well as turning the radios on/off.

http://dell-mini.archive.canonical.com/ ... t11.tar.gz is the source for this package.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks a bunch! That seems to have fixed it. Not sure how that airplane mode ended up enabled but after disabling it its now charging. YAY. I was afraid I got something defective.
  (#4) Old

Exclamation Re: battery not charging - 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks for dougma's help.

I ran into the same problem and fixed it.

But I still suspect this problem has something to do with the "battery charged to 100% and mini starts to use solely the battery power", which happened a few times on my mini and was reported by other users.

God, I wish dougma's solution works for that too. I'll just wait and see.

BTW, mini+ubuntu has led to quite some annoyance. I have to tweak system file to get sound to work, and now this...silent sigh. But still, I love this little machine.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 11-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Can someone explain in detail exactly how to fix this problem? I downloaded and extracted the file listed above but I have no clue what to do after that. Is this stuff uncompiled? I'm not really familiar with compiling stuff in Linux. What are the terminal commands to get this Aircraft Manager up and running?

Also, what is the exact URL for the Dell repository? I put http://dell-mini.archive.canonical.com in Synaptic and it seems to have not added it.

My battery is totally drained now and I'm not sure how to recover from it. I tried booting from my Backtrack 3 live USB, hoping it would charge under that, but it didn't help.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 11-14-2008, 08:02 PM

I have the same issue. When I first boot up on the black screen it tells me the battery is unable to be recognized and that it will only run off AC. Then, my orange LED flashes incessantly and the battery does not charge.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 11-15-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfwdlah
I have the same issue. When I first boot up on the black screen it tells me the battery is unable to be recognized and that it will only run off AC. Then, my orange LED flashes incessantly and the battery does not charge.
This sounds like a hardware, not a software issue to me.

The ac/battery management should work like on every other laptop and my Mini w/ Ubuntu has worked properly out-of-the-box.

I'd describe it to a Dell tech and get a replacement (either the battery or send the whole Mini for repair/replacement )
  (#8) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM

I managed to download the actual .deb package, get it installed, and low and behold this fix works.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 11-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks God I found this forum!
Very happy with my mini9 (ubuntu) until i decided to use airplane mode to save battery.
Then the battery refused to charge!
Last thing I would check would be the status of airplane mode!
on reading this thread, i rechecked, and alas, even using the wifi, airplane mode was checked!
un checked it, and now battery seems to be charging again!

Thanks to you, forum contributors!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: battery not charging - 11-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks for posting. This does in fact appear to be a software issue then as opposed to a hardware/battery problem.

I've added a bug here. Please feel free to add any relevant details as needed.