Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-17-2008, 07:01 AM

Had my Dell mini for three days now and I'm delighted with it. It is running Ubuntu. My only concern is that three times now the whole thing has locked up completely - the screen freezes and all I can do is turn it off.

Has anyone else had this or know what might be causing it?

TIA
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-17-2008, 07:37 AM

How long did you wait before turning it off?

Perhaps you ran out of memory, at which point the oom(out of memory)-killer should start killing processes to free up memory.

If it happens again, after reboot, type dmesg in a terminal, it may give some clues.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM

I don't think I was running that much when it froze - just a web browser in one instance. The last time it happened I left it for about 15 minutes before turning it off and nothing seemed to happen.

If it happens again I'll try what you suggest.

Many thanks!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM

I had a problem with my system freezing up; the problem turned out to be with the Bluetooth. I was using it to tether my cellphone to use as a data connection, but when my phone's data connection was off, Ubuntu kept trying to access it and eventually exhausted system resources.

Doubt that will help you much, but who knows.

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-18-2008, 05:24 AM

My mini with ubuntu freezes sporadically also. Unable to ctrl alt backspace or anything else. Has to be hard shutdown by holding power button several seconds. Seems more like hardware issue to me than ubuntu.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM

The same thing happens to my Ubuntu Mini also.
I received it yesterday and it has frozen twice. At the moment I was not using Bluetooth (it is enabled but I do not use it), only Wifi, but I don't know if this has something to do with the freezing.
I was only using a browser window so I don't think this is an out of memory problem.
If it happens again to me I will post the output of the "dmesg" command.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-18-2008, 08:25 PM

I'd add monitoring applets to the gnome panel for ram/disk/cpu.

Too much activity on the SSD can really tie up the CPU. I've had a few occasions where I had to ctrl-alt-f1 to console and kill Firefox because a Java applet was causing an enormous amount of disk i/o.

I try to touch the SSD as little as possible..
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrias
I was only using a browser window so I don't think this is an out of memory problem.
One browser window can easily cripple the machine, at least until the oom-killer, or user, kill the bugger.

I won't run Firefox without flashblock / noscript; stupid flash applets will suck the life out of this poor little CPU!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-18-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblank
I'd add monitoring applets to the gnome panel for ram/disk/cpu.

Too much activity on the SSD can really tie up the CPU. I've had a few occasions where I had to ctrl-alt-f1 to console and kill Firefox because a Java applet was causing an enormous amount of disk i/o.

I try to touch the SSD as little as possible..
Any pointers to monitoring applets? I've been following the threads on disk monitoring, but they all seem to refer to Windows solutions or hardware mods.

Thanks,
Joe (new Ubuntu user)
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Ubuntu Mini Freezes - 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblank
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrias
One browser window can easily cripple the machine, at least until the oom-killer, or user, kill the bugger.

I won't run Firefox without flashblock / noscript; stupid flash applets will suck the life out of this poor little CPU!
I had just navigated through a few pages. I don't think the browser ran out of memory.
And, if I'm not mistaken, the other time that my Mini froze it was inmediately after startup without opening any application.