Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default Need help with "snowy" display on Mini 9 - 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Hi -

I have a Mini 9 that I'm trying to resurrect. It currently has a problem with a "snowy" screen where there are random small blocks on the screen that are black or the wrong color. My forum searches have found similar issues with OS X installs but I'm now trying Windows 7.

This started when it was an older hackintosh with OS X on it. I avoided upgrading when I heard of issues there, but once the problem showed up, I tried to nuke the system with a clean Win 7 install, formatting the SSD trying to get a clean start. Unfortunately the problem persisted.

These blocks will flicker or move about as I drag windows and such - so the underlying hardware for a given pixel seems fine. Changing screen resolution or orientation doesn't change the problem.

I believe this is a software issue because I can run Windows in Safe Mode and the screen is fine (although in lower resolution). During the startup sequence it looks fine, but when it gets to the login screen the snow appears.

I've tried updating drivers but haven't had any luck. The BIOS update is giving me an error saying I have "unflashable BIOS"

Does anyone have ideas, or other tricks to nuking the system back to a primal state for a clean install?
  (#2) Old

Default 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM

What resolution do you have it set? 1024 x 600 should work.

Oops. I see that you have tried that.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 04-28-2013, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I've tried both resolutions that the display settings were offering.

I tried this on an external monitor, the snowy blocks showed up there too, whatever resolution or mode (mirrored, extended, etc) I tried. It had the 2nd monitor at a nice high resolution too, but with the pixelated snow all over.

I tried starting in safe mode (where the screen looks great, no snow, but at the lower resolution) opened Device Manager and found that it appeared to have two of the Intel chipset graphics drivers installed. I cleared out one, restarted, it went into normal Windows (not safe mode) at the low resolution with the screen working fine.

I then re-installed the drivers (I let it search for them), and it came back up in higher resolution with the snowy effect back at the login screen.

Based on all this I'm pretty convinced it's drivers or other software, I'm pretty sure it's not the LCD or cable.

I'll see if I can find some other graphics drivers to try
  (#4) Old

Default 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM

If you want to confirm that it is a software issue, you might try Install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS | Ubuntu

Just make a bootable USB stick. Don't install, just try it & see if you still have the same issues.

(#5) Old

Default 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM

That's an excellent idea, and everything looked good on the screen until it hit the ubuntu desktop (12.04.02) where I had the snowy screen again. I now think it's either a hardware problem on the motherboard because it's occurred on 3 different OSes and a re-flashed BIOS.

I'm guessing it's in the graphics HW pipeline because it shows up on both the LCD and an external monitor, but not in a screen capture on Windows. At least some parts can be salvaged from it.

Thanks for suggestions
  (#6) Old

Default 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM

Blast it all, I wish that would have worked. I concur, it is a hardware issue.

Hardware issues just are not worth fixing considering the prices & capabilities of new laptops. Or even a tablet if it could meet your needs.

Tags
910 screen snowy pixels