Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Won't boot with one battery attached - 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM

OK, this has me stumped:

I've had this mini9 since the beginning (what is that 4 years or so now?) and the battery started lasting shorter and shorter (to be expected). Bought an aftermarket ext. life battery. First one wouldn't charge, sent it back. Second one was a little better - it would stop charging at random "% full" readings, but in general it would charge to over 70% and last for hours. Then, all of a sudden the mini9 wouldn't boot from battery, but if I plugged it in to boot (first flash of light i could unplug) it would still last for hours. And charged fine. This got to be a pain, so I went back to the original battery - it boots every time even if not plugged in. But now the original won't charge (it won't go down if plugged in, but never goes up). Any ideas? I suspect the replacement battery just wasn't engineered well, and the original is finally dying, but I don't want to buy a 3rd if it's really the laptop that is dying.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM

I have read of many stories such as yours. The original battery has probably lost its ability to charge. The replacements don't work with the "genuine Dell" check in the BIOS. (You might try, as an experiment, reverting to BIOS A00 or A01 and see if the aftermarket batteries will charge.)

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Yes, the Mini 9 was released a bit over four years ago.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 12-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I may have screwed up - in trying to troubleshoot I flashed the latest BIOS. I have no idea what I was on before I flashed. Maybe I'll look for an A0 bios. (incidentally the aftermarket battery booted a few times after the flash, but not any more.

Joe
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10