Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to sirtronics
Default Netbook stopped booking - 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM

I had had my Dell mini 9 working fine for months but today it will not boot....
It says:
boot0: GPT
boot0: testing
boot0: testing
boot0: done

it just sits there?
I tried to reload both the netbookinstall rc4 and 5 but no luck.
I can boot it off a USB??????
any help please.
  (#2) Old

Default 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Hi Sirtronics, Maus has the same error (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...stem-full.html) and a space-eating prob. that filled his SSD until it could no longer boot. I had a similar prob but caught it before it filled up my SSD - however I didn't get as far as not booting so I don't know if it's the same. The problem was that a sleep image kept being generated and ate 2Gb at a time of my disk space. Solved it by removing it in terminal but if you can't boot, that's not the answer. Yes, you can boot off a USB source, typically a thumbdrive. Find instructions on Mechdrew's site (Guides | OS X | mechdrew) but bear in mind you will need to enable USB legacy support in the bios before your mini will see the bootable external drive. Once booted off the external drive, you can try disk utility to repair the SSD or reformat it.

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#3) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to sirtronics
Default 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM

It is a 16GB ssd and I have 7.58 free on the drive, it says!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida505 View Post
Hi Sirtronics, Maus has the same error (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...stem-full.html) and a space-eating prob. that filled his SSD until it could no longer boot. I had a similar prob but caught it before it filled up my SSD - however I didn't get as far as not booting so I don't know if it's the same. The problem was that a sleep image kept being generated and ate 2Gb at a time of my disk space. Solved it by removing it in terminal but if you can't boot, that's not the answer. Yes, you can boot off a USB source, typically a thumbdrive. Find instructions on Mechdrew's site (Guides | OS X | mechdrew) but bear in mind you will need to enable USB legacy support in the bios before your mini will see the bootable external drive. Once booted off the external drive, you can try disk utility to repair the SSD or reformat it.
  (#4) Old

Default 01-05-2010, 04:43 AM

Righto, so it's not full. It's seeing the GUID partition on start-up but not loading the OS. I'm guessing you have an install drive as you've tried to run NBI again. Have you tried running Disk Utilities to verify/repair the SSD?

Do you have a bootable clone? If not and you have your retail OSX, you could do a fresh install onto a thumbdrive (see mechdrew's guides) and boot off that. This should let you see the SSD and, hopefully, its content so you can rescue stuff. You may need to reformat the SSD.

I keep a working clone on a thumb drive and an up-to-date back-up image on an external hd just in case. Process is to boot from clone, reformat SSD, restore from back-up image, run NBI and I'm good to go again. My clone is from an earlier RC4 install but I run NBI Final as an app to make the restored drive bootable.

Apologies if you've done all that but still have the problem.

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#5) Old

Default similar problem - 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM

After running a Dell Mini w/ OS X (Tiger? the version before Snow Leopard) nearly flawlessly for 15 months, I shut my computer down last weekend, then the next morning attempted to boot it up. The Dell Inspiron logo screen came on & then instead of transitioning to the grey screen w/ Apple logo (as normal), a black screen w/ the following text appeared:
boot 0: GPT
boot 0: HFS+
boot 0: booting
boot 0: done
boot 1: startup

And then the computer stopped loading.

Is it possible that a similar SSD-space eating file has filled the HD? I am guilty of keeping the HD filled up, so I plan to use the thumb drive for install to bootup and then delete files in hopes that the booting with return to normal.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the SSD is not fried! I've run a PB TiBook G4 for 7 years, w/ daily use, burning out the screen, but not had nearly the problems I've had with the Dell (this problem and the WiFi card burning out - detailed in an earlier post on this site).

Thanks for any comments or troubleshooting suggestions!