General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#241) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcamper View Post
No i did not use bootmaker, I used this guide http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...sx-mini10.html Do you think it is safe to cancel the installation half way through installation process? I wouldn't think so but dunno. Also What is the most current version of Netbook bootmaker?

It is safe to cancel the installation, you will just have to re format/partition the drive on your next install attempt

The version of Netbook Bootmaker you want to use is 0.8.3pre with the mini 1012, if you use the more current version it will not work properly and give you kernel panic.

There is a step by step guide on page 18 of this thread, and that is the method I used successfully in order to get 10.6.3 on my mini 1012.

Note: You will need to have a Macintosh/Hackintosh with Snow Leopard installed in order to use Netbook Bootmaker.
  (#242) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM

So this one, http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...l-release.html will not work? I am looking for Netbook maker 0.8.3 RC1 instead?
  (#243) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
So this one, http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...l-release.html will not work? I am looking for Netbook maker 0.8.3 RC1 instead?
No, that version will not work

If you read my previous post, the instructions are written in full, step-by-step, on page 18 of this thread.

You will also see the recommended version of Netbook Bootmaker is 0.8.3pre, not 0.8.3 RC1.

0.8.3 RC1 will give you kernel panic if used on a 1012, you NEED 0.8.3pre for a successful install.
  (#244) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark425 View Post
No, that version will not work

If you read my previous post, the instructions are written in full, step-by-step, on page 18 of this thread.

You will also see the recommended version of Netbook Bootmaker is 0.8.3pre, not 0.8.3 RC1.

0.8.3 RC1 will give you kernel panic if used on a 1012, you NEED 0.8.3pre for a successful install.
hmm, there is no 0.8.3pre on http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...2-os-x-18.html I am going to assume you are talking about 0.8.4pre as that is the only thing that has "pre" on that page.
  (#245) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark425 View Post
[HELP] Atheros AR9285 on Snow Leopard - InsanelyMac Forum

Post #9 has the new working airport kext for the AR9285 from 10.6.5!!!!!!

I can confirm that I put this kext in S/L/E and ran kext utility, restarted, and BAM! Working AirPort Extreme card =) Awesome.

Now, if we could get QE / CI working on the 1012, it would be pretty much perfect. That's a long shot though lol.
confirmed as well for me, WIFI works (remark: atheros mini wifi card that comes with dell 1012 out of the box), so good not to have to buy a new card
  (#246) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
hmm, there is no 0.8.3pre on http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...2-os-x-18.html I am going to assume you are talking about 0.8.4pre as that is the only thing that has "pre" on that page.
That would be correct. There is a download link on page 18 with the install guide.

If you follow JedParks guide front to back, you will have a working OS X install on your 1012.
  (#247) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 09:12 PM

Alrighty! Thanks! I am installing right now. I am weary about trying the 10.6.4 update, but I think I am going to give it a shot, that would be awesome. Thanks again for all the help! Do I need to install the updates in order? 10.6.1 > 10.6.2 > 10.6.3 or can i install 10.6.3 directly?
  (#248) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Alrighty! Thanks! I am installing right now. I am weary about trying the 10.6.4 update, but I think I am going to give it a shot, that would be awesome. Thanks again for all the help! Do I need to install the updates in order? 10.6.1 > 10.6.2 > 10.6.3 or can i install 10.6.3 directly?
No problem.

I would not personally advise the move from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 for a couple of reasons.

1. There is go guarantee that it will work

2. There is no viable reason to move from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 that I can see on a netbook.

If you do decide to upgrade to 10.6.4, make sure to back up your kernel, and repair permissions before upgrading, or you will most certainly get kernel panic.

You will actually get kernel panic originally no matter what, until you restore your old kernel. make sure that you are familiar with entering in boot commands with the Chameleon bootloader before updating, so that you know how to restore your backed up kernel.

Rhycel has a brief explaination of how he accomplished this on page 18 underneath JedParks installation guide.

Long story short, stick with 10.6.3. Unless you want to completely reinstall, or spend hours getting it to work, maybe.
  (#249) Old

Default 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Is there any fixes for video acceleration? The genie affect in dock is kinda laggy, not sure if thats just because of the system or it needs a kext. No big deal, just would like the affects. Thanks again for all the help! It is working like a champ!

Edit - Does hibernation/sleep work because it seems when I close my monitor it just turns off the monitor and when I goto the Apple logo and click sleep it just makes my screen blank, but still on and when I press the power button I have to enter my password to log back in. Anyway of getting it to work?

Last edited by Madcamper; 08-25-2010 at 11:58 PM.
  (#250) Old

Default 08-26-2010, 01:37 AM

Hey glaf to see you had it working now...

video acceleration is still in the work as of meklort'S update in his blog.

for sleep I believe nobody has made it to work too.

Chers!

Quote:
Is there any fixes for video acceleration? The genie affect in dock is kinda laggy, not sure if thats just because of the system or it needs a kext. No big deal, just would like the affects. Thanks again for all the help! It is working like a champ!

Edit - Does hibernation/sleep work because it seems when I close my monitor it just turns off the monitor and when I goto the Apple logo and click sleep it just makes my screen blank, but still on and when I press the power button I have to enter my password to log back in. Anyway of getting it to work?

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4