3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Smile 4G Wimax in the UK - 11-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Hi there, i have a dell mini 1121 11z with Wimax Centrino chipset 4G wifi card fitted, it comes stock as 'sprint' 4G carrier enabled. I am based in the UK and had this imported from the US and have never looked into using it, now 4G is available in the UK do i need to unlock this wimax card to get it functional?

Everything works perfectly on the laptop, i have read somewhere that a firmware flash is possible or can this just be performed with alternative software?

I would like to get this card working if possible, at present i dont have a carrier for 4G but am open to any, just want to know the process to unlock the card and/or if it can be done.

Many thanks

litew8
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 11-02-2012, 04:54 PM

You're out of luck - The UK's 4G system is LTE, whereas this card supports WiMax, which Sprint uses for 4G in the US. Even if you had a US LTE card, the frequencies used in the UK are different and would be incompatible.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Thankyou holmes, can you tell me if its possible to just change this mini pcie card to a UK compatible version? The card is removable and just has the antenna cables just like wifi so i see no reason why the card cant just be changed? thanks Mark
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Sure - it's a common form factor for such cards. Just find one that supports your carrier and which has driver/software for your OS.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10