Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-06-2008, 11:14 PM

Okay, the MacPro stayed home today and the Mini took on a Dell 22" display on my work desk. VGA isn't as sharp as DVI, but passable. One problem is that everything looks just a tad stretched on the horizontal on the Mini driving a Dell 22" 2007 WFP. A circle looks slightly like an oval, fonts look a little flattened.

So, where can I tweak this? Is this a software tweak, or a hardware tweak on the display? Aspect ratio? Resolution? If so it would be much appreciated if I got a pointer on this.

I couldn't get my Apple BT keyboard paired. The Mini 9 saw it, but each attempt failed. Do I need to delete this keyboard from my MacPro before trying to pair the same Apple BT keyboard to the Mini 9? The MacPro was not in operation or in proximity of the Mini 9.

My goal is of course to carry light and use the Dell Mini as a replacement for the larger, heavier MacPro on days I want to go light. I usually use a closed lid laptop, BT mouse and keyboard and external LCD at work. Getting this all tweaked in would really make the Mini 9 sweeter still.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-06-2008, 11:22 PM

Change the output resolution.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-07-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
Change the output resolution.

Hey thanks! I will. I'll have to go lower as it was as high as it could get.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-07-2008, 03:19 AM

On an LCD, the output resolution needs to be EXACTLY what the monitor is rated for. That's why you're noticing a blurring effect, not so much the analog cable.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-07-2008, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
On an LCD, the output resolution needs to be EXACTLY what the monitor is rated for. That's why you're noticing a blurring effect, not so much the analog cable.
Is this what they call "native" resolution? If so is that "native" resolution the highest resolution being displayed? IF that is the case I still have a problem with that stretched look, as I'm pretty sure I was using the highest resolution available. This Dell LCD has one of those physically wider horizontal screens that height. 2007WFP models. That is why I was wondering if it was an aspect ratio kind of issue as opposed to resolution.

I actually have the same model here at home that I have at work but no VGA cable, so I'll have to wait until I get to work to give other resolutions a try. Thanks for the insight.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM

The native resolution is 1680x1050 and yes, this should be the highest resolution. That being said, it is a widescreen monitor so perhaps worthwhile to confirm that it is in fact outputing to this resolution.
  (#7) Old

Location: Kihei, Maui, Hawaii and Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Send a message via MSN to KrisB
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1
That is why I was wondering if it was an aspect ratio kind of issue as opposed to resolution.
You are likely correct -- the resolution it's set to is not the correct aspect ratio. But the only place to change that is by changing the resolution.

That would explain your stretched look...
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 External LCD & BT Apple Keyboard Issues - 11-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Looks like I need to change out LCD screens if I want a better view. While rooting around on the Mini I did see some aspect ratio choices. If I can find them again maybe I can give it a try.