Vista Discussion on running Windows Vista on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old

Default SD Card Reader Problem - 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I installed Vista per http://rickatnight11.com/?p=71.

Everything seems to be working now except for the Card Reader and a couple of thumbdrives that I insert. My main reason for this post is in regard to the SD/MMC reader. Right now under Device Manager I can see 3 items (MS Host Controller, SD Host Controller, and SD/MMC Host Controller). However if I insert an SD card I get JMCR SD/MMC SCSI Disk Device under "Other Devices". It's as if the computer cannot find the driver for the SD card. This is similar to what I get whenever I insert one of my thumbdrives as well along with an external hard drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Try installing the JMicron driver for the Mini 12, it's under the Chipset category on the driver downloads page.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM

Trying it right now. I believe that I did this before though.

I have reinstalled Vista since posting the original topic. Now none of my thumbdrives are available. I have the drivers for both the NICs so I will try downloading them. I can't help but think that I am missing some 'base' driver for thumbdrives with my install though. I haven't run across a computer that doesn't recognize my drives.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Did you use Vlite to trim down your Vista install? I used the same tutorial (rickatnight11) to work through my Vlite, and thought I was being less aggressive with removing things, but had some problems including no wi-fi. I ended up re-doing my Vlite, and leaving a few more things in...and it worked the second time around. I didn't have problems though with the SD card reader or the usb ports...and instead of letting windows update discover all the drivers (as the tutorial said) I went the hard route and installed the drivers from Mini-12 one at a time :? in the order that Dell recommended.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM

I did use a trimmed down version via vLite. I have since repackaged the install and reinstalled. It seems that the first time around I was better off. Now Windows Update won't work.

I downloaded most of the drivers for the Mini 12 and installed with some success. However I still cannot connect an SD card or thumb drive successfully.

EDIT: I have finally gotten Windows Update to work.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM

I seem to have found a fix for my USB storage problem (thumb-drives and external HD).

Someone posted this on another forum and I thought it might help anyone that had the same problem.

Quote:
At work I am on Win XP (sp2) fully patched.
I looked in device manager on my work computer, and found that the flash
drive was listed as a "USB Mass Storage Device"
I right clicked on it, went to properties, the Driver Tab,
and Driver Details. It was pointing to a file "USBSTOR.SYS".

That file had a different date time and version number than the file on the computer
where my flash drive was not working. So I just copied the USBSTOR.SYS from my work
computer, and put it on the computer where my flash drive was not working, replacing
all instances of the old file.

I then right clicked on the yellow question mark under "Other Devices", where my flash drive shows up,
I then clicked on the update driver button, and pointed it to the new USBSTOR.SYS and it worked.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM

Short-time lurker... first post...

I am having the EXACT same problem... the USB ports all work, but the SD card reader does not.

I did the JMicron Driver... both Mini 9 and Mini 12. Upon inserting an SD card (tried multiple cards), get the tone that indicates it mounted. No drive letter assigned and can't see it anywhere.

Shows the exact same in Device Manager as the original poster...

Guess the question is... anyone else know how to fix this?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM

If I remember correctly the fix for me was to go to Device Manager with the SD card plugged in. Once there you will see something about a "JMicron SCSI Device" in the "Other Devices" category. Click that and update the driver. Then select the option to search for the driver yourself. Browse to the Windows\System32 folder and let it update from there.

If that doesn't work I am afraid that you may need to recompile your vLite install files and reinstall Vista.

Keep us informed.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 01-28-2009, 03:49 AM

Got it fixed, did the first driver update, as advised in the above post... from the Windows\System32 directory. After that it would bring up another "unknown device".. just kept pointing to the System32 directory (2 more times), and all now works well.

Thanks for the help.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: SD Card Reader Problem - 02-07-2009, 03:28 AM

just bought my mini 9 the other day and after multiple uses of the card reader i went to put my Kingston 8GB SD card in and it wasn't being recognised, so i tried another SD card and nothing.....then i tried both cards in another computer and they worked.....so just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem? is it software based (ie. XP, etc), or is it an ongoing hardware problem that needs fixing? also, why would it work for a few days, then not?

update: i tried the JMicron driver install (from http://supportapj.dell.com/support/down ... id=&impid=), and at first the SD card was not recognised, then i re-inserted it and it came up???!!!???

is it worth taking back to the store and getting them to exchange or is it okay?

any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated!

Mini 9 (Alpine White), 16GB SSD, 2GB (Kingston), Windows 7