Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
JnC JnC is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 188
Join Date: May 2010
Question Why update? - 07-30-2011, 02:29 PM

On our Macs running SL, of course I update (except for the ones running Tiger)

My first 10v (listed below) runs 10.6.3 just fine. Sometimes it has sound, sometimes not, but that doesn't bother us since we set all our Macs on mute. We never use Safari. We use Firefox with WOT and NoScript addons.

What, then, are the advantages of going to 10.6.7 and installing the special NBI - ending in ...351?

Can any of the updates effect the running of the mini or are they primarily fixes for Mac hardware? Is the security update for Safari or does it somehow come into play system wide?

Once I have 10.6 installed on my new 10v - same question.
Update to 10.6.3? or install special NBI and go to 10.6.7?

Thanks,
J


how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
underwhelmed underwhelmed is offline
Guru
 
Posts: 1,375
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Default 07-30-2011, 03:06 PM

10.6.6 gets you the App Store.


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
r6680jc r6680jc is offline
Senior Member
 
r6680jc's Avatar
 
Posts: 229
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
On our Macs running SL, of course I update (except for the ones running Tiger)

My first 10v (listed below) runs 10.6.3 just fine. Sometimes it has sound, sometimes not, but that doesn't bother us since we set all our Macs on mute. We never use Safari. We use Firefox with WOT and NoScript addons.

What, then, are the advantages of going to 10.6.7 and installing the special NBI - ending in ...351?

Can any of the updates effect the running of the mini or are they primarily fixes for Mac hardware? Is the security update for Safari or does it somehow come into play system wide?
OS update brings stabilities, bug fixes, security patches, etc.
If you feel that your systems are stable enough, no bugs noticed, and you don't worry about the security issues, so you don't need to update your OS.
the OS updates indeed affect the running on our mini, but not that much noticeable, and yes the updates are for system wide.

The main advantage of installing the special NBI is you can update OS X on your mini up to 10.6.7 without any problem.

Quote:
Once I have 10.6 installed on my new 10v - same question.
Update to 10.6.3? or install special NBI and go to 10.6.7?

Thanks,
J
Install special NBI, then go straight to 10.6.7.

Last edited by r6680jc; 07-30-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
JnC JnC is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 188
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
10.6.6 gets you the App Store.
Fair enough, but if I don't need the store - what do you recommend? See below please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
OS update brings stabilities, bug fixes, security patches, etc.
If you feel that your systems are stable enough, no bugs noticed, and you don't worry about the security issues, so you don't need to update your OS.
...
Install special NBI, then go straight to 10.6.7.
1.Yes, I am concerned about security issues. But, if I never use Safari, are the updates securing anything else but Safari? - (I guess I've never understood exactly what they secure beyond the browser)

Things are stable on my original 10v (except sound as noted above) but if the security updates go beyond Safari...

2.Does 10.6.7 do any better with sound?

3.Is there any reason to install the special NBI on the mini running happily at 10.6.3 if I should decide to stay there? (I have automatic updates shut off so an update is not going to happen to mess things up unless I do it myself and I know to install the special NBI before doing so)

4.For the new mini, you would recommend going to 10.6.7 immediately after the original install of 10.6?

Thanks to both of you,
J


how-i-made-bootable-clone-flash-drive-my-mini.html

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
r6680jc r6680jc is offline
Senior Member
 
r6680jc's Avatar
 
Posts: 229
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
Fair enough, but if I don't need the store - what do you recommend? See below please.



1.Yes, I am concerned about security issues. But, if I never use Safari, are the updates securing anything else but Safari? - (I guess I've never understood exactly what they secure beyond the browser)

Things are stable on my original 10v (except sound as noted above) but if the security updates go beyond Safari...

Quote:
2.Does 10.6.7 do any better with sound?
It's only for mini 10v; 10.6.2 + NBI 0.8.3 Final are the best for sound stability.

Quote:
3.Is there any reason to install the special NBI on the mini running happily at 10.6.3 if I should decide to stay there? (I have automatic updates shut off so an update is not going to happen to mess things up unless I do it myself and I know to install the special NBI before doing so)
No, if that the case.

Quote:
4.For the new mini, you would recommend going to 10.6.7 immediately after the original install of 10.6?
I recommend it.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
pcmaniac pcmaniac is offline
Member
 
Posts: 81
Join Date: May 2010
Default 07-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
1.Yes, I am concerned about security issues. But, if I never use Safari, are the updates securing anything else but Safari? - (I guess I've never understood exactly what they secure beyond the browser)
->>10.6 Apple security updates<<-
are quite a few beside Safari


Mini 10v, BIOS A06, OS X 10.6.6, Linux-Mint, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
UNCNDL1 UNCNDL1 is offline
Senior Member
 
UNCNDL1's Avatar
 
Posts: 108
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: RI/NJ
Default 08-01-2011, 12:36 AM

From what I've read above and elsewhere on this forum, you are very safe to upgrade to 10.6.0 IF you so choose, and yes I believe that Yes is More. For your travel purposes and word processing 10.6.0 is just fine too. Why not take a middle of the road approach and Hack your new Dell Mini with your original usb and see how things work, and then go from there? You can always carbon copy clone the new system and play around with it if you like/or not. Many have not gone beyond 10.6.6 and are very happy. Bottom line is just enjoy your Dell Mini osx clone.


Mini 10v/1GB RAM/160GB HD/ BIOS A06/SL 10.6.6
Mini 9 /2GB RAM/ 16GB SSD/BIOS A05/SL 10.6.6
OSX Installation via USB & Mac
NBMaker 0.8.4.RC1 / NBI 20100616212351
"Remember to back up your hard earned work with a boot-able disc BEFORE upgrading!"
http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
vahnx vahnx is offline
Member
 
Posts: 84
Join Date: Sep 2009
Default 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM

I'm on 10.6.7 and still have no sound every X boots. The only benefit, I agree, is having the App Store.


Dell Mini 10v | Bios A06 | 2GB RAM | 40GB SSD w/ OS X 10.6.7 | 6-Cell Battery | NBI 0.8.5pre
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
solvberg solvberg is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: May 2010
Default 10.6.7 Works fine - 08-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCNDL1 View Post
From what I've read above and elsewhere on this forum, you are very safe to upgrade to 10.6.0 IF you so choose, and yes I believe that Yes is More. For your travel purposes and word processing 10.6.0 is just fine too. Why not take a middle of the road approach and Hack your new Dell Mini with your original usb and see how things work, and then go from there? You can always carbon copy clone the new system and play around with it if you like/or not. Many have not gone beyond 10.6.6 and are very happy. Bottom line is just enjoy your Dell Mini osx clone.
I followed "Uncndl1" advice to install 16.0 then use the 51 ending NBI, and upgraded directly to 10.6.7. And it works fine, sound Video, waking from sleep.

We have a MacMini and a Black Macbook for daily use and the hackintosh for
travel purpose that includes Aperture. It runs slow, but it run. Before upgrading to 10.6.7 I could only run Aperture up to 3.0.3. After upgrading I can now run 3.1.3. The hackintosh has a small travel size and saves us a Macbook air.

I did try to upgrade all the way up to 10.6.8, but that did not work. I achieved only to send the mini into an eternal loop of rebooting.

At the moment we are very happy with the hackintosh as per see.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.