Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old

Default New 0.8.4RC1 Image file, for 10.6.3 Retail DVD install without Mac... - 05-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Hey, All, can you test this Image out using Mechdrew's NBI2 guide, but replace his image with this?

[  MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB HDD | NVidia 320M 256MB SDRAM 
Dell Mini 9 <I don't own this anymore> | BIOS: A06 | SL 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BT: √ (Tetany's BT Terminal Mod) |
Audio: √ (Akki's Mini 9 Sound and Mic Fix bundle) | Legacy USB: Off | Sleep: √ | Method: My compiled method | Easier method ]
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 05-27-2010, 12:43 AM

How does that image differ?

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#3) Old

Default 05-27-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki View Post
How does that image differ?
Well, it works, at least as far as I tested,

This is using the latest version of chameleon, and files from NBM 084RC1.

I did find another image (also called NBI_084RC1.img) that was supposed to work with 10.6.3, but it didn't work without using the 10.0.2 kernel, even then it would panic on the first reboot after installing NBI.

I merely created a small partition on a flash drive, installed Chameleon to it manually, then copied the 'Extra' and 'boot' files to it. I then used it to boot into a 16GB flash drive with an unmodified copy of the 10.6.3 install DVD on it. This is just an IMG of that partition.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between them; this is, basically, a NBM prepared flash drive, without the OS X files (they would be on the 16GB flash drive). I'm thinking that the other image I tried used an older version of Chameleon, when I opened the image, though the file was called 'NBI_084RC1.img' the actual partition was called 'NBI_083F'.

The Extra folder on this is copied directly out of the NBM 084RC1, the other is missing 'Preboot.dmg'.

Ok, I just looked at the 'last modified' dates of the files on the other image and they are dated Dec 23 and the 'Extensions.mkext' is dated Dec 22, I'm sure that is part of the problem.

I just want someone to test this out, through the install, etc. I booted from it and got all the way to the install, I haven't yet tried that yet, though I'm sure it will work fine. Also it contained 'NetbookInstaller' in the Utilities menu, something I never got in the other image.

[  MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB HDD | NVidia 320M 256MB SDRAM 
Dell Mini 9 <I don't own this anymore> | BIOS: A06 | SL 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BT: √ (Tetany's BT Terminal Mod) |
Audio: √ (Akki's Mini 9 Sound and Mic Fix bundle) | Legacy USB: Off | Sleep: √ | Method: My compiled method | Easier method ]
  (#4) Old

Default 06-06-2010, 03:37 AM

it works for me too, much thanks!
  (#5) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 03:22 PM

I tried this after getting one error every time i installed, but it appears to have been replaced by another:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x5582710: "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.3.12/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert .cpp:1389

It then tells me to restart the computer, which I do, to no avail.

I'm using a Dell Mini 9 with A05 BIOS and 10.6.3 upgrade disk. I have no access to a mac.

Hope you can help

Cheers, Byrd
  (#6) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
I tried this after getting one error every time i installed, but it appears to have been replaced by another:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x5582710: "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.3.12/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert .cpp:1389

It then tells me to restart the computer, which I do, to no avail.

I'm using a Dell Mini 9 with A05 BIOS and 10.6.3 upgrade disk. I have no access to a mac.

Hope you can help

Cheers, Byrd
Do you USB wake disabled in the BIOS?
Try using one of the alternate methods (dd?) and re-copy the DVD.

(#7) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 04:55 PM

I have just tried again with usb wake disabled in bios and having re-copied the dvd, with the same result. I'll try the dd method and post again on the results.

Edit: Also, just a by-the-by, any chance you could flesh out your platform-free tutorial? I was giving it a try, but it's slightly confusing.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM

So, I'm halfway through the dd method, but after booting up with the partedmagic usb, I've encountered an error trying to mount the 16 gig usb.

When I click "mount" it gives me this error

Unable to mount device
Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure

Could this mean my usb drive is faulty?
  (#9) Old

Default 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
So, I'm halfway through the dd method, but after booting up with the partedmagic usb, I've encountered an error trying to mount the 16 gig usb.

When I click "mount" it gives me this error

Unable to mount device
Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure

Could this mean my usb drive is faulty?
No, that is related to the partitioning, so it shouldn't make a difference, as 'dd' will overwrite the partition table anyway.

(#10) Old

Default 06-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbarnhill View Post
No, that is related to the partitioning, so it shouldn't make a difference, as 'dd' will overwrite the partition table anyway.
You say it will it will overwrite it, but I've already used dd to create the usb, it's just that parted magic can't mount it in it's mini os.

Sorry to make such trouble, thanks for helping