My Digital Discount MDD are online retailers of Runcore SSD drives and accessories for your Dell Mini netbook.

(#11) Old

Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praesul
An all-encompassing kit for conversion of a Mini 9 to allow installation of a 1.8" drive

Ideally something that would fit in the mini PCI-e slot that would allow a cable to run to the drive, which could be easily mounted in the space where the missing WWAN is.
Actually, for those of us with WWAN, mounting the drive internally on either side of the trackpad (where the bluetooth module is, or opposite) would probably work better.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-06-2009, 02:24 PM

First off I would like to thank you everyone for their participation thus far. All of the suggestions have been excellent so please keep them coming.

To clarify, we are looking for both existing as well as 'need to be invented' requests. While we will naturally have a faster turnaround with existing product suggestions, we do have the ability to bounce ideas off of manufacturers to gauge the possibility of creating new products for Netbooks based off of actual customer feedback. We realize some requests may be ambitious but all are welcome. All suggestions will be brought up at our weekly product meeting for discussion and once we add new products we will be sure to let everyone here know.

MyDigitalDiscount.com is your connection to the digital world.

Join the MDD Community: Follow us on Twitter.com/MyDigital or become a fan on Facebook.com/MyDigitalDiscount to get the latest news, product updates and exclusive offers.
  (#13) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-11-2009, 06:04 PM

The access light is sorta a no brainer. Just add on a small port to connect a lead and possibly even sell the LED with a lead already attached in a variety of colors (red, blue, yellow, green, ect, ect) so the end user can choose the color he/she wants to see when the SSD is accessed.

The upgrade to the 128 gig 70mm card is a bit of work but in my opinion completely and totally worth it for space available and speed gained.

The use of a SSD in a external enclosure is possibly already since the replacement drives from MDD already include a USB port on them, just a matter of creating a case that will hold a single or perhaps multiple cards in about the same space as a standard laptop HDD. It in effect will be a hub allowing you to access all the drives installed in the case. Another idea is to create a "card reader" of sorts so you just plug in your SSD and use it like any other external storage solution.

Feel free to use these ideas without compensation to me ..... UNLESS you really want to send me a 128gig SSD in PATA format that I could use in my mini-9.... i wouldn't complain at all. :lol:

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#14) Old

Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Hi!
I need a 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD designed especially for Dell Inspiron Mini 12.
Thanks!

P.S. All sort of adapters and converters for Mini PCI Express, ZIF, laptop HDDs, 1.8" and 2.5" drive enclousers and other you could find on http://www.dealextreme.com/ and http://www.ebay.com/
For example, for my Mini 12 I bought from first site a CompactFlash to 1.8" PATA ZIF adapter.

Dell Inspiron Mini 12, 1.6 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD, 3 cell battery, MS Windows Vista.
Want to install internal WWAN modem, replace HDD with SSD or CompactFlash.
P.S. English it is not my native language, so, please, excuse me for its poor quality.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM

It seems that the 128GB is the most asked for. Ideas to make the 128GB SSD fit would be either to make it double layer (so top, middle, and bottom could be used), because I think the Mini 9 has a bit of room vertically to work. Another option would be to extend the card over the "usually unused" WWAN slot on the Mini 9.

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#16) Old

Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Here's a small update from our last product meeting:
RunCore 1.8" PATA Zif SSD should be arriving by early next month, we are looking to add 5200 mAh extended batteries, touchscreen kits, and we have a good lead on some USB to mini-PCI-e adapters as well.

The 128GB PCI-e is somewhat tricky due to the size of the board that the Mini 9 accepts but jkkmobile has published a mod that allows you to use RunCore's 128GB 70mm PATA PCI-e SSD and get you the capacity you are looking for.

MDD Jeremy

MyDigitalDiscount.com is your connection to the digital world.

Join the MDD Community: Follow us on Twitter.com/MyDigital or become a fan on Facebook.com/MyDigitalDiscount to get the latest news, product updates and exclusive offers.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-17-2009, 04:43 PM

How about the L shape mini pci-e connector, so people can use the 70mm without having to void warranties ?

(#18) Old

Default Re: My Digital Discount Product Suggestion Box - 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM

After reading some posts about how aligning the partition of a SSD drive on a 64 KB boundary could improve performance I did this when I got the drive. If the Runcore drives came this way it would save those of us that want to try this an extra step. Since a lot of people buy the Runcore drives just for improved performance I think this would be a selling point that would add very little to the cost of manufacturing the drive.

I was not sure if the Acronis software preserved the original partition so I reinstalled XP from scratch. But having an aligned partition would not prevent people from using the cloning software if they wanted to.

I did not do any testing with the drive as it arrived so I cannot say if aligning the drive made much of a difference. But it could not hurt anything.
  (#19) Old

Default 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM

I would like to see Google Checkout work correctly. I really don't care for the way it's implemented right now.

Mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB Runcore | Windows 7 Build 7100
  (#20) Old

Default 05-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDD Jeremy View Post
Here's a small update from our last product meeting:
RunCore 1.8" PATA Zif SSD should be arriving by early next month, we are looking to add 5200 mAh extended batteries, touchscreen kits, and we have a good lead on some USB to mini-PCI-e adapters as well.

The 128GB PCI-e is somewhat tricky due to the size of the board that the Mini 9 accepts but jkkmobile has published a mod that allows you to use RunCore's 128GB 70mm PATA PCI-e SSD and get you the capacity you are looking for.

MDD Jeremy
Touch screen kits for the mini 12 ?

[Current] Acer Aspire Timeline 4810T-6937 1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo CULV, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, XP Home
[Previouslyl] Dell Mini 12 - 1.33GHZ Atom, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, XP home/Windows 7