Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default Bluetooth Terminal Mod working for 10.6.5 - 12-25-2010, 11:03 AM

I got the Bluetooth terminal mod working for 10.6.5 by removing the Extensions.mkext not only from System/Library but also from the Extra folder. These instructions are largely from a post by hussainx based on an original find by tetany.

NOTE!! If you have already applied the "Mic Fix" you will lose it and have to do it again when done so be sure to first save a copy of your DSDT.aml file as well as ALC268 and AppleHDA Kexts to make that easier.

1. Start your machine holding the "2" key to access the Bios.

2. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled and USB Legacy support is disabled.

3. Save and exit holding the "shift" key to see a list of the available boot partitions. Type "-x" (you'll see it at the bottom) and enter to boot in Safe Mode.

4. On your Login screen you should see "Safe Mode".

5. Open Terminal and show hidden files by pasting in the line below, then Force Quit Finder to relaunch it.

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

6.Paste in the line below and hit enter.

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

6. Enter your password and enter (password will not show).

7. You should now be in the "Nano Editor" function of terminal.

8. Press "Control+W" for the find function and type in 33301 and hit enter.

10. When you find 33301 use backspace to clear it replacing it with 688. Also move down with the arrow key to 1452, clear it and type 16700. Make sure not to add any extra spaces or edit anymore than just these numbers.

11. Press "Control+O" and then hit enter to save. You should find it says something like "Wrote ### lines" on the bottom.

12. Use "Control+X" to exit back to the standard terminal window.

13. Type "exit" to logout and then close terminal.

13. Go to Mini HD/Extra and delete "Extensions.mkext".

14. Run NBI with only the "Install Dell Mini 9 Extensions" checked.

15. Go to Mini HD/System/Library and delete "Extensions.mkext" and immediately reboot.

16. Apply or Re-apply the Mini 9 "Mic Fix".

17. Hide hidden files by pasting the line below in terminal, then Force Quit Finder to relaunch it.

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

I did a lot of poking around today and did the best I could to recall exactly what I did to make it work, but there is a very good chance that these instructions will need to be modified over the next days as people try it and report their results. If you are not too familiar with this stuff please wait for a few days until it's more sorted because my path was nowhere near as direct as what I wrote here and there are bound to be mistakes!

Edit:.....there is still more work to be done, many ghost devices are appearing in the preference panel and I can see the BT plist file is being altered every few seconds. It is however also pairing and working with the devices I have added including my iPhone and the on/off toggle works perfectly.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#2) Old

Default 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Bueller? Anyone?

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#3) Old

Default Bluetooth fix - 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM

It works in my dell mini 9, but I had to add a IOBluetoothFamily.kext in the /Extra/Mini9Ext too, with the edited "BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist" , after I made an UpdateExtra, repair permissions and reboot.
Usually, the replacement of IDvendor and IDProduct in the BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist is in the line of:
<key>Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3 7A</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCICo ntroller</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIControlle r</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>ClassicMustNotSeize</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>LMPLoggingEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>688</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>16700</integer>
</dict>
  (#4) Old

Default 03-10-2011, 05:55 PM

I tried this out after updating to 10.6.6 (I couldn't resist the App Store). I have the same phantom problem, but I have a (kludgy) work-around. Once I paired all of the devices I wanted, I used Pref Setter to manually delete all the phantoms and save a copy of the pref list to a safe place. I use an automator script to replace the active plist with the clean copy from time to time.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#5) Old

Default 03-13-2011, 01:11 PM

That's clever, can you send me a copy of that stuff?

Mini 10V

(#6) Old

Default 03-17-2011, 02:00 PM

I'm having mixed results with this method. Sometimes, the computer generates a new bluetooth file with a nonsense string following the name while it's starting up. I've occasionally had to sub out a few times before it works right.
The default bluetooth file is specific to your set-up, so mine isn't much use to you. the automator script is so simple, it's faster for you to make it yourself. It's only two steps:

1. Get Specified Finder Items- wherever it's safe to keep your pristine plist
2. Copy Finder Items- to your HD>Library>Preferences Make sure to check the "replacing existing files" box.

I saved mine as an app and run it using my launcher of choice (Alfred). If you wanted, you could even schedule it using iCal.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT
  (#7) Old

Default 06-23-2011, 01:48 PM

last week I tried bluetooth terminal mod on my Mini 10v running OS X 10.6.7, it works and no ghost devices so far.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-26-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
last week I tried bluetooth terminal mod on my Mini 10v running OS X 10.6.7, it works and no ghost devices so far.
I had lots of ghosts too. So I removed the above mods. And now it doesn't generate these ghosts anymore.

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)