General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#301) Old
Administrator

Default 09-12-2010, 08:18 PM

GMA950 is what the Mini 9 and 10V have. These already work.

Steve
  (#302) Old

Default Wifi Can't Connect - 09-13-2010, 01:15 AM

You folks in this forum totally rock! I have been Hackintoshing my Dell mini 1012 and have it working after using NBI 0.8.4pre. There is so much info out there and I was using some other versions with limited success, kernel panic, endless reboots, etc.

Now everything boots normally and Ethernet works. Trackpad works with three-finger scrolling. Looks like the system goes to sleep on inactivity so I need to figure out how to put the display to sleep as well, but that can wait.

My main issue now is that I have Wifi after updating with IO80211Family.kext but although it recognizes my network, I end up with the message "AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.148.44 and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

I have tried rebooting my router, toggled my Configure IPv4 from Using DHCP to Off and back again. I have tried renewing my DHCP lease. My DNS tab was blank so I manually added the info that is in my MacBook but that didn't help. Any ideas, anyone?
  (#303) Old

Default 09-13-2010, 01:49 AM

I believe I have the GMA950 on my mini 1012, according to my system profiler:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0xa011
Revision ID: 0x0000
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

If that is the case, how would I go about installing/finding the correct kext?
  (#304) Old

Default 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Finally I have successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6 on my Dell Mini 10v....took me almost a week(including work hours) to install most of the time I was reading about different methods to install SL without mac. When I first saw the SL welcome screen I was so excited ....I felt the same way when I installed and saw the window of softICE way back in 2000.

I think all the complexities of installing Snow Leopard what makes this hackentoshing experience so interesting.

DELL MINI 10v | 2GB | OSX 10.6.4 | Windows 7
  (#305) Old

Default 09-13-2010, 08:21 PM

I keep coming across that their there is a working GMA 950 kext, but for mini9/10v, and apparently I have the 950 on my 1012. As well as lidsleep and sleep enabler from meklort but I have not had any clarification. If anyone can clarify that both of these will work with a mini 1012 with GMA 950 please do so. Thanks!
  (#306) Old

Default 09-13-2010, 11:40 PM

Madcamper, I have a 1012 with GMA950 which I received last week. In fact, my configuration looks the same as yours. I have installed SL 10.6.3 using NBI 0.8.4pre. Then I added IO80211Family.kext and then LidSleep.kext with a date of May 7, 2010 (don't know if there are other versions) from Meklort's blog and it works. Have not yet tried sleep enabler.

So far, I can't get Wifi to connect to my home network (see my earlier post), did it work for you?
  (#307) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 12:24 AM

wifi works perfect for me. I did have an issue at my friends house where the Wifi router was on the other side of the house. I could pick up the signal in most parts of the house but in some spots where I was picking it up, I still couldn't connect so I added a second router in the middle of the house and I can connect to that one fine. As for the lid sleep, I installed it using Kext helper b07 or some crap, not sure if its what I should be using, what did you use to install your kext? Anyway, when I close my lid, nothing happends, the screen just turns off but does not go into sleep mode. Help please! Thanks!
  (#308) Old

Default All Mini 1012 Models have a GMA 3150 - 09-14-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcamper View Post
I believe I have the GMA950 on my mini 1012, according to my system profiler:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0xa011
Revision ID: 0x0000
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

If that is the case, how would I go about installing/finding the correct kext?
The reason System Profiler shows that you have a GMA950, is because the kext that is loaded with NBI is a modded GMA950 kext for the GMA 3150. This is what allows native resolution on the GMA 3150.

In short, your Mini 1012 has a GMA 3150, that is running on a modded GMA950 kext.

There is still no possible hardware acceleration on the GMA 3150. That is the major drawback of the Mini 1012.

Last edited by questionmark425; 09-14-2010 at 03:34 AM.
  (#309) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midvale View Post
You folks in this forum totally rock! I have been Hackintoshing my Dell mini 1012 and have it working after using NBI 0.8.4pre. There is so much info out there and I was using some other versions with limited success, kernel panic, endless reboots, etc.

Now everything boots normally and Ethernet works. Trackpad works with three-finger scrolling. Looks like the system goes to sleep on inactivity so I need to figure out how to put the display to sleep as well, but that can wait.

My main issue now is that I have Wifi after updating with IO80211Family.kext but although it recognizes my network, I end up with the message "AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.148.44 and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

I have tried rebooting my router, toggled my Configure IPv4 from Using DHCP to Off and back again. I have tried renewing my DHCP lease. My DNS tab was blank so I manually added the info that is in my MacBook but that didn't help. Any ideas, anyone?

Is your router using WPA or WEP?
  (#310) Old

Default 09-15-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark425 View Post
Is your router using WPA or WEP?
Both my MacBook and iPod Touch connect with WPA2 Personal. I tried to duplicate the settings in the MacBook to no avail. I even typed in the DNS Servers and Search Domains which I never had to enter manually before, still no go. Today I downloaded and installed another IO80211Family.kext from another site in case the original one was corrupted, but I still have no connection.

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcamper View Post
As for the lid sleep, I installed it using Kext helper b07 or some crap, not sure if its what I should be using, what did you use to install your kext? Anyway, when I close my lid, nothing happends, the screen just turns off but does not go into sleep mode. Help please! Thanks!
I used Kext Utility to install the kext; very easy to use. And now that I think about it, my battery light used to cycle on and off when I closed the lid but now it doesn't seem to, and before I'd hear what I'm guessing is the drive head parking itself, but that doesn't happen, either. So maybe it's only my display that's gone to sleep, not the Dell itself