General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#291) Old

Default 09-05-2010, 04:01 AM

I was just looking at meklort's site and noticed there is a new 10.6.5 out. I was wondering is there any successful way of getting it on to the 1012. I know there was no way of getting 10.6.4 on yet, unless I fell off the wagon a little back. I also saw this on his site, NetbookInstaller ź Meklort's Blog
a lidsleep.kext I was wondering if that is something that would work with the 1012 or not. I don't want to take a chance of installing it and it messing up my OSx. Any tips appreciated. Thanks!
  (#292) Old

Default 09-07-2010, 02:26 PM

[quote=kzfisher;168248]
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorstotch View Post
Ok, an update on my status:

Anyways, I plug the USB and the HDD into my 1012, press F12 to boot from the USB, and I get the following:

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.19 (08/10/09)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

professorstotch - I had similar message which QuestionMark425 explained as following:

"If you are selecting USB as the boot option from the boot menu (F12) and you get this message, that means it bypassed the USB HDD because it could not find bootable media, and then attempted to boot from LAN."

My issue was the USB was not formatted GUID -

I think the Mac you use can be running any version of SL HOWEVER the USB must be loaded with 10.6.0 for the install. I used my MacBook running 10.6.5 and my update 10.6 SL disk. I guess you could possibly use any Mac even a virtual one - as long as it will allow you to use disk utility to format and make the USB drive as per instructions on page 18.

Let us know your progress . .

Thanks for the tip! My drive was formatted in GUID, this can be done in Windows 7. My main problem was not being able to get access to a Mac to correctly partion/format in HFS, and then restore the images. I was alos unable to run NBM 0.8.4pre, because it's a .app file for a Mac. So basically, I thought I was screwed without access to a Mac...

And then...I realized I had like 50GB of unpartioned space on my desktop...perfect size for an OSX install. I was successfully able to install and boot OSX on that partition, and now I'm working on formatting the USB drives through the Mac Disk Utility. It told me last night that it would take 2+ hours, and so I left it and went to bed...only to find that it had froze up in the middle of the night.

I had to go to work, so I set it to run and we'll see how it went when I get home.

For those wondering about the Virtual Machine...

This worked on my desktop, but it took far too long to try and install on my 1012. Once I had OSX running in the VM, I was able to set up, but I wasn't really able to access my USB drives to format them. I had VMWare Workstation 7. It was at this point, after spending nearly an entire day on it, that I went with the straight install to my unpartitioned space on my internal HDD.

Now I have OSX 10.5.5 running on my desktop with no hiccups so far, other than the random freeze last night. I'm going to try the rest of the steps when I get home.

To be honest though, at this point I might just retired from the OSX on 1012 setup. From what I've seen on Leopard this weekend, it doesn't really seem like it's for me. I might just focus on turning the 1012 into a sweet Windows netbook. If only I can get that damned resolution to be higher...
  (#293) Old

Default 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM

[quote=professorstotch;168825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzfisher View Post

Thanks for the tip! My drive was formatted in GUID, this can be done in Windows 7. My main problem was not being able to get access to a Mac to correctly partion/format in HFS, and then restore the images. I was alos unable to run NBM 0.8.4pre, because it's a .app file for a Mac. So basically, I thought I was screwed without access to a Mac...

And then...I realized I had like 50GB of unpartioned space on my desktop...perfect size for an OSX install. I was successfully able to install and boot OSX on that partition, and now I'm working on formatting the USB drives through the Mac Disk Utility. It told me last night that it would take 2+ hours, and so I left it and went to bed...only to find that it had froze up in the middle of the night.

I had to go to work, so I set it to run and we'll see how it went when I get home.

For those wondering about the Virtual Machine...

This worked on my desktop, but it took far too long to try and install on my 1012. Once I had OSX running in the VM, I was able to set up, but I wasn't really able to access my USB drives to format them. I had VMWare Workstation 7. It was at this point, after spending nearly an entire day on it, that I went with the straight install to my unpartitioned space on my internal HDD.

Now I have OSX 10.5.5 running on my desktop with no hiccups so far, other than the random freeze last night. I'm going to try the rest of the steps when I get home.

To be honest though, at this point I might just retired from the OSX on 1012 setup. From what I've seen on Leopard this weekend, it doesn't really seem like it's for me. I might just focus on turning the 1012 into a sweet Windows netbook. If only I can get that damned resolution to be higher...

Unfortunately you can't get the resolution higher on the 1012 unless you purchased the 1012 with the 720p LCD.

Also unfortunately, you need to have an OS X install of 10.6 or higher to use NetbookBootmaker 0.8.4pre. 10.5.5 will not work for making a bootable OS X USB drive for your 1012.
  (#294) Old

Default 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark425 View Post

Unfortunately you can't get the resolution higher on the 1012 unless you purchased the 1012 with the 720p LCD.

Also unfortunately, you need to have an OS X install of 10.6 or higher to use NetbookBootmaker 0.8.4pre. 10.5.5 will not work for making a bootable OS X USB drive for your 1012.
I have a SL install in a VM working too, it's just buggy, really slow, and crashes sometimes.

And you don't need to purchase the 1012 with the HD screen...according to these forums, it's possible to buy the screen online and install it into the 1012. The screen goes for about $40 on eBay, which isn't too shabby.
  (#295) Old

Default 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorstotch View Post
I have a SL install in a VM working too, it's just buggy, really slow, and crashes sometimes.

And you don't need to purchase the 1012 with the HD screen...according to these forums, it's possible to buy the screen online and install it into the 1012. The screen goes for about $40 on eBay, which isn't too shabby.
That is a possibility. However I prefer to not do things that will potentially brick my netbook.

If you want to take the risk more power to you! An HD screen would be pretty sweet, but only with the broadcom accelerator.

If you don't have the accelerator why have a 720p screen that stutters playing 720p video =P
  (#296) Old

Default 09-08-2010, 11:11 PM

I am curious if anyone has got virtualbox to work on their dell mini 1012. It would be nice to be able to run a virtual machine on my mini if I need to test things on the go. I tried it but kept getting a VT-x AMD error. I saw a another topic on these forums for the 10v about editing the .xml but I couldn't find the "vt-x amd" true false option in the .xml coding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  (#297) Old

Default 09-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcamper View Post
I am curious if anyone has got virtualbox to work on their dell mini 1012. It would be nice to be able to run a virtual machine on my mini if I need to test things on the go. I tried it but kept getting a VT-x AMD error. I saw a another topic on these forums for the 10v about editing the .xml but I couldn't find the "vt-x amd" true false option in the .xml coding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In your Virtualbox, which GuestOS are you using? I had to set it to either "Other-Other" or "BSD-FreeBSD" to get it to stop checking for the hardware virtualization on the BIOS.
  (#298) Old

Default 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM

That didn't work either, still getting the

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } VT-x is not available. (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}
  (#299) Old

Default 09-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Finally I bought Dell mini 10 and luckily I found Dell mini 10(1011) 2GB RAM, N270, A06….. For past 3 days I am reading about installing SL. Which version of SL should I buy?
10.6.3 is available here should I go for that? I don’t wanna end up with some panic attack error. Please help
  (#300) Old

Default 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM

I was reading on meklorts blog today and saw he said he was working the kext for GMA 3150. I have the
Chipset Model: GMA 950
and was wondering if the 3150 that he is working on is supposed to work with the 950 hardware acceleration or if there is already a 950 kext. Maybe I am just confusing myself by re-reading what he had written on his blog. If anyone can clarify this for me, that would be great. Thanks!