Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old

Send a message via AIM to stanm88
Default 07-22-2009, 02:45 AM

Tried building a bootable floppy and using the FN+B method with no luck. Unless there is another key combo, it did not work for a 10v.
  (#12) Old

Default 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Try all letter please i dont have a floppy drive usb only usb key for test and i don't know if it's work with usb key drive.

I have a mini 10 no 10v

(french sorry)

Use that http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/atta...s-recovery.zip with FN+S or FN+B or all ^^ it's only for usb floppy drive
  (#13) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 03:45 PM

Help !!
  (#14) Old

Default Random Question - 07-29-2009, 05:24 AM

Have you tried calling Dell? If you were updating with their BIOS, they should offer some support.

But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.

John 3:21
  (#15) Old

Default 07-29-2009, 10:35 AM

I'm in belgium and Dell haven't got a chat support for this country... I need to call him i'll try later...
  (#16) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 01:19 AM

Tried the Fn+B technique on my bricked Mini 1010 tonight ... no beep, no floppy disk read.
  (#17) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 07-31-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms View Post
Documentation

It maybe a diff <Fn>+key combo since it is a Mini10 not 910... Then again, the Mini10 may not be able to be recovered like the Mini9 either...
Chances are its just the F1-F12 keys, as the Mini 10 actually has them.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#18) Old

Default Success! Blind recovery confirmed on Dell Mini 10 (Inspiron 1010) - 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Somms, you are a genius. Thanks for the fix.

For others with the same problem and the same model (not the 10v), download Somms' zip file above and follow these slightly modified instructions from Somms' Mini 9 post:

NOTE: Requires USB Floppy drive for recovery:
To Use: Remove battery and power adapter. Confirm USB floppy drive is plugged in. While pressing and holding Fn & B keys, attach power adapter plug. The power lights may momentarily blink and your Mini may beep once. Continue to hold Fn & B and press the power button. Release the keys once floppy drive begins reading. Your Mini will beep continually until the flash is completed and reboots. Note: The display is not available during this process and it takes quite some time. As long as its still beeping, its still working. Hang in there, it will finish.
  (#19) Old

Default What worked for me and how I did it - 10-05-2009, 05:30 AM

Model #: Inspiron Mini 10

1. Get a USB FDD and connect it to a PC with a 32-bit OS. 64-bit did not work due to the MAKEBOOT.exe. I used a Y-E Data 4x FDD and Win7 x86.
2. Download and Run as Administrator the file from SOMMS in post #4
3. Run the EXE in that zip file and follow the instructions in the DOS box
4. Plug the USB FDD into your dead Mini10 and remove its battery.
5. Press Fn + END and plug in the DC power.
[Yes it is difficult to reach the END key. Try this: Plug the power adapter into a power strip and make sure the power strip's switch is OFF. Plug the DC jack into the Mini10. Press Fn + END. Use your toe to power on the power strip.]
6. Power LED will flash. Press Power Button without releasing Fn + END. FDD will read once, stop, then read continuously because it is booting from it. Release Fn + END.
7. Mini10 will beep intermittently and annoyingly for several minutes. DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER. It will reboot itself after one final long-ass BEEEEEP.

Your Mini10 is now UNBRICKED
  (#20) Old

Default 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac88 View Post
Model #: Inspiron Mini 10

1. Get a USB FDD and connect it to a PC with a 32-bit OS. 64-bit did not work due to the MAKEBOOT.exe. I used a Y-E Data 4x FDD and Win7 x86.
2. Download and Run as Administrator the file from SOMMS in post #4
3. Run the EXE in that zip file and follow the instructions in the DOS box
4. Plug the USB FDD into your dead Mini10 and remove its battery.
5. Press Fn + END and plug in the DC power.
[Yes it is difficult to reach the END key. Try this: Plug the power adapter into a power strip and make sure the power strip's switch is OFF. Plug the DC jack into the Mini10. Press Fn + END. Use your toe to power on the power strip.]
6. Power LED will flash. Press Power Button without releasing Fn + END. FDD will read once, stop, then read continuously because it is booting from it. Release Fn + END.
7. Mini10 will beep intermittently and annoyingly for several minutes. DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER. It will reboot itself after one final long-ass BEEEEEP.

Your Mini10 is now UNBRICKED
Unfortunately this did not work for me. But thank you. I think this thing is damaged beyond any technique. I just get a dying squeal from the speakers after pressing the power button. Floppy does not resume.

Tags
bricked, mini 1010, no screen