Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#161) Old

Smile Thank you, I have a working 1010 - 04-19-2014, 06:52 PM

Thank you everyone for the help.

I followed this steps

(1. Get a USB FDD and connect it to a PC with a 32-bit OS. 64-bit did not work due to the MAKEBOOT.exe. I used a Y-E Data 4x FDD and Win7 x86.
2. Download and Run as Administrator the file from SOMMS in post #4
3. Run the EXE in that zip file and follow the instructions in the DOS box
4. Plug the USB FDD into your dead Mini10 and remove its battery.
5. Press Fn + END and plug in the DC power.
[Yes it is difficult to reach the END key. Try this: Plug the power adapter into a power strip and make sure the power strip's switch is OFF. Plug the DC jack into the Mini10. Press Fn + END. Use your toe to power on the power strip.]
6. Power LED will flash. Press Power Button without releasing Fn + END. FDD will read once, stop, then read continuously because it is booting from it. Release Fn + END.
7. Mini10 will beep intermittently and annoyingly for several minutes. DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER. It will reboot itself after one final long-ass BEEEEEP. )

I used I1010_A04 BIOS Recovery.zip from somms post date oct 2008.
Use windows Xp and usb port on the right closes to the audio port's.

Last edited by Marcopollo; 04-19-2014 at 06:57 PM.
  (#162) Old

Default 08-13-2014, 02:34 PM

I recovered my Dell Mini (bricked). Power on works with only 'END' key. Only problem I faced was, I was not getting the correct BIOS.ROM. So removed the HDD, connected with a desktop, gone to the HDD's windows directory then Temp folder and copied the backup ROM file into the floppy and it worked.
  (#163) Old

Default 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrdkghosh View Post
I recovered my Dell Mini (bricked). Power on works with only 'END' key. Only problem I faced was, I was not getting the correct BIOS.ROM. So removed the HDD, connected with a desktop, gone to the HDD's windows directory then Temp folder and copied the backup ROM file into the floppy and it worked.
That is a nice solution, glad it is working for you.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#164) Old

Default 10-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Right, I've done everything in the guide by Somms and get the dell to beep intermittently but after a handful of beeps whilst reading from the FDD the beeps stop but the FDD continues to buzz around doing nothing and not rebooting. Any ideas why or what the reason this is?

Also is it normal for the floppy to turn on and off every now and again when reading?

Tags
bricked, mini 1010, no screen