Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default Bricked Mini 10 (Inspiron 1010) failed BIOS flash recovery - 06-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Hi all,

Just a quick first, I am a new member and love this website, just what we need

Now for my problem, I have read that others have done what I have so I dont feel completely stupid but silly all the same so go easy on me. I was updating my bios through windows (I have a mini 1010) and it said to close all programs, I was starting to close them when it suddenly froze. Completely non responsive I waited a few mins but nothing. So I tried turning it off but it wouldnt, so I did the stupid thing of moving the battery, when I put it back in and turned it off nothing happens..... Well the light comes on and so does the fan and the hd sounds like it does something, but nothing else.

I have read a couple of other topics here that say you can recover with a usb floppy drive, but it doesn't say how and the link doesnt work. So I am looking for help please in recovering..

I do have a usb floppy drive, but I dont know what to put on the disk, where to get the bios rom (I only have an exe) So I am looking for full instructions if anyone knows.

Hope and thanks for any help

Mel

P.s.

other sources I found here are http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...t-kidding.html
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-27-2009, 09:59 AM

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...s-utility.html

There is a BIOS flash recovery tool for the Mini9...you would have to substitute the Mini10 bios for the Mini9 prior to attempting...

(#3) Old

Default 06-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks so much, do I then have to download the dos bios? I am guessing yes.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvik View Post
Thanks so much, do I then have to download the dos bios? I am guessing yes.
I1010 flash recovery tool built w/Mini10_A04 BIOS included. Requires USB floppy drive and follow directions for blind flash recovery from Mini9 recovery directions above...no one has reported being able to recover from failed BIOS flash on Mini10 yet!
Attached Files
File Type: zip I1010_A04 BIOS Recovery.zip (669.1 KB, 2815 views)

(#5) Old

Default 06-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks for your help again, I dont think it works, when i press and hold fn B and plug the power cord in nothing happens no flashing light and no beep, if i turn it on, it also doesnt beep but the light does come on..
  (#6) Old

Default 06-27-2009, 10:55 AM

My previous reply doesnt appear to show so Ill send it again.

I tired with the app you attached, successfully created the bootable disk but thats as far as I can get. When I hold down the Fn B keys and plug in the mains nothing happens, no beeps opr flashing lights, and if I press the power button anyyway the light comes on with the fan but again no disk drive comes on nothing happens.

thanks again
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvik View Post
My previous reply doesnt appear to show so Ill send it again.

I tired with the app you attached, successfully created the bootable disk but thats as far as I can get. When I hold down the Fn B keys and plug in the mains nothing happens, no beeps opr flashing lights, and if I press the power button anyyway the light comes on with the fan but again no disk drive comes on nothing happens.

thanks again
Documentation

It maybe a diff <Fn>+key combo since it is a Mini10 not 910... Then again, the Mini10 may not be able to be recovered like the Mini9 either...

(#8) Old

Default 07-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Dont work for me need a floppy drive usb ?
  (#9) Old

Default 07-21-2009, 10:31 AM

Help !!!!
  (#10) Old

Send a message via AIM to stanm88
Lightbulb 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM

I'll be trying to revive my bricked Mini 10v tonight, I'll post back with details.

Tags
bricked, mini 1010, no screen