Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-16-2014, 01:00 AM

no previous steps, just take it apart and install the new board, the BIOS will recognize the new RAM when you reboot, Win 7 Pro will work just as well, Win 7 Ult just has some extra bells and whistles that Pro doesn't have such as bit encryption etc.....Win 7 Ult is more advanced than Win 7 Pro, Win 7 Ult is the highest version there is....hope you have the service manual for the 1010.....

Link:
Dell 1010 Service Manual

Just in case you dont..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 01-16-2014 at 01:08 AM.
  (#12) Old

Default 11-03-2014, 04:48 AM

I had Xubuntu 14.04 on my Dell mini 1010, 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM. Works fairly well.
  (#13) Old

Default 11-15-2014, 10:31 PM

I run Linux Mint 16 on my Dell Mini. Runs great, but I'm having hardware issues where the wifi won't connect back up after sleeping. I'm fairly certain it's hardware and now OS related. So my vote is still for Linux
  (#14) Old

Default 01-03-2015, 12:12 AM

Hey thanks, guys. I've hardly used my 1010 in a few years. Too slow. Running W7Pro with Office 2010. My email account is an Office 365 Exchange Server email, and when running it drags the computer to a slow crawl (from its usual fast crawl!) Considering moving to Office 2013, where Outlook has a setting for how much mail to store offline--which in turn will reduce the size of the ost file which is open with Outlook. O2010 lacks that setting.

In any case, I just ordered the 2GB cpu/ram board as suggested. Going from 1 to 2GB has got to help. Maybe the 1010 will start to serve some useful purpose again. Worth the tinkering to find out.

Thanks again.
Bill
  (#15) Old

Default 01-09-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
why dont you put in the 2gb daughterboard, mine runs great on Win 7 and Win 8
Did it. $70 made me question whether I would get my money's worth...essentially buying 1GB of RAM for $70. No longer any question. The link to the manual was a big help too, as the disassembly/reassembly process is a few notches short of intuitive. The increase, when I think about it, is not just doubling the RAM, since a good portion of the first GB is used by the OS, but rather, going to 2GB probably triples the available RAM for programs, and it shows.

Thanks again.
Bill
  (#16) Old

Default 11-21-2015, 02:49 AM

Hello all,

I have a dell mini 1010 with 1GB RAM and i just cant find a Linux OS that works well, I've tried with Xubuntu and Ubuntu and everything runs well, except for the sound, no sound AT ALL.
Finally I found Lubuntu and that one was working well (though to dull the OS) until some SW updates start coming in and made the computer slow as hell.
Any recommendations of a good Linux OS for me?

Thanks in advance =)
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default 11-21-2015, 08:30 PM

Linux Mint has been very popular in this forum.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#18) Old

Default 12-05-2015, 01:20 AM

which version?
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default 12-05-2015, 02:06 AM

Don't know - there hasn't been much discussion (of anything) lately. I'd assume the latest version is fine, but search the forum for earlier discussions.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#20) Old

Default 12-09-2015, 08:24 PM

Dell mini 1010 (1GB RAM) every problem solved on Linux (Zorin OS 9) - Today, 09:10 PM
Steps:

• download the OS: Zorin OS 9 core
  • unetbootin - make a linux boot drive
  • Boot with the pendrive, and follow the steps. (I advise dual OS Win xp + Linux)

1. Problem: You haven't got Wifi

Plug an ethernet cable to get wifi, open terminal and issue the following commands:

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe wl

Wait 10 seconds and then check network manager to see if you can connect to wireless netwroks. A restart maybe required.

And it's works!

2. Problem: Videocard
PSB drivers (outdated)

Drivers are available in the gma500 PPA repository for Maverick, Lucid, Karmic, Jaunty and Intrepid. With the note that Jaunty and Intrepid versions are no longer supported and guaranteed to work.

Open a terminal and type:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-3d

reboot for the changes to take effect.

(At least on Lucid, poulsbo-driver-3d conflicts with compiz packages. You need to uninstall them first.)

sudo apt-get -y remove compiz*

Note: remember to perform after a version upgrade the commands in the terminal again to update to the gma500 packages matching your Ubuntu version.
sudo apt-get update

Now, the videos are faster, but not perfect. I installed Gnome mplayer and VLC too. The sound already is ****.

3. Problem: sound

Fix Most Audio Problems: Remove PulseAudio
Many audio issues in Ubuntu can simply be solved by eliminating PulseAudio. The Mini 9's Skype problems are PulseAudio's fault.

PulseAudio is a sound server, a background process accepting sound input from one or more sources (processes or capture devices) and redirecting it to one or more sinks (sound cards, remote network PulseAudio servers, or other processes).

One of the goals of PulseAudio is to reroute all sound streams through it, including those from processes that attempt to directly access the hardware. What it really does is get in the way, delay sound, improperly fix and make audio in Linux a bigger mess. PulseAudio may have potential and offer some great audio features but for me it is not worth the headaches. I don't need advanced features and networked audio, I simply want to watch videos, listen to music and talk on Skype without problems.

To completely remove PulseAudio in a terminal type:
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio

This will uninstall PulseAudio, delete the configuration files and uninstall it's dependencies; gstreamer-10-pulseaudio, libpulse-browse0, libpeexdsp1, pulseaudio-esound-compat, pulseaudio-module-udev, pulseaudio-module-x11, pulseaudio-utils, and rtkit.

Reboot your machine and enjoy working audio. Not having PulseAudio installed makes using Skype as easy as starting the program. You still need to turn on the mic and setup the correct audios devices.

sudo apt-get update

And now everything is work! Great suprise! Good luck!

Last edited by bobec77; 12-09-2015 at 08:33 PM.