Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default Reviving and upgrading a 1010 - 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM

I have a 1010 with WinXP that is a hand me down. It was hit by a virus last week and after a lot of work, the virus has been removed or it's at least dormant. I wanted to reload the OS to the factory configuration. There are no restore points and the Dell DataSafe option (Cntl+F11 at boot) is not available on this machine. I do have a Dell CD with WinXP SP3 that I think came with the 1010. Could I reload XP with a CD drive connected via USB?

I like the 1010 and have considered upgrading to 2MB. After reading the posts in this forum, the 1010 requires the RP031 daughterboard to upgrade to 2GB of memory. Based on my service tag, Dell.com shows a 2 GB RAM card as an upgrade. It doesn't show the RP031 daughterboard as an option. Am I confused or is the Dell site incorrect?

1010 Z530 1.6GHz, 1 GB, 1024 x 768 screen
Thanks. This is a great forum.

Last edited by nop; 01-15-2013 at 08:00 PM.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-15-2013, 11:54 PM

the Dell site is wrong, it has the same info for the 1010 as the 1011 (10v)m your system needs the daughterboard upgrade....and yes you can use an external USB CD/DVD drive to reload XP, but why not just buy Win 7 or Win 8 it runs faster than XP, also consider an upgrade to a 1366x768 HD screen, it makes a BIG difference, I bought my 1010 totally maxed out and have been very happy with it, my last upgrade is going to be to swap out the 750gb drive and put in a terabyte drive.......

FYI: when you go to try to boot to the USB drive make sure that you 1st go into the BIOS and make sure that Legacy USB is enabled otherwise it will NEVER boot to the USB drive and it is also recommended that you use an external CD/DVD drive with its own AC power supply and not rely on the drive to be powered off the USB, some drives will not work because the 1010 doesnt supply enough power to run the external drive.....

PS. Welcome to the forum.....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 01-16-2013 at 12:19 AM.
  (#3) Old

Default 01-16-2013, 04:00 AM

Thanks for your thorough response. The main reason for reinstalling XP is to reformat the hard drive. It took some effort to get the virus removed and now the system has some strange behavior. For example double clicking on an icon on the desktop will not launch the app. But right-clicking and selecting open will. Since I don't know why this is, before I install Win7 or Win8 I would rather start with a "clean" XP system. I see you have a dual boot Win7/8 system. Do you have a preference? Microsoft has priced the Win8 Pro upgrade at $40 until 1/31/2013. This is a download only, it's $70 for a CD.

In another thread you had Ebay links for the 2GB daughterboard. The prices were $60 to $70. I also searched for a HD screen and the new ones were $50 to $70. Are these the expected prices for these parts? Also, are the HD screens the same for all versions of the mini 10, ie 1010, 1011, 1012?

Last edited by nop; 01-16-2013 at 04:05 AM.
  (#4) Old

Default 01-18-2013, 03:32 AM

NOP,

I've recently upgraded my 1010 to the 2GB card after sitting in my closet for a few years (after buy the iPad I never used it). It was fairly easy and there are a few guides posted that have step-by-step instructions.

Here's my feedback.

-Paid $63 for the card from eBay
-It required small modifications (unless I got the wrong one lol). There are 4 screws on the original 1GB card, on the 2GB card, there are four but they don't align because of the shape of the new card. You can get 3 in with some patience.
-You will also need to modify the original heat shield as the new part didn't come with one. You will need to bend the end of it and make it straight.

It booted perfectly and Windows confirmed the 2GB after install.

I have tried about 5 different OSes on it, including Ubuntu, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows 7, Chomium OS, and even Android. Windows 7 32-bit seems to work best in my experience.

I now have Windows 7 32-bit, Office 2013 and Chrome and it runs like I had always hoped when I bought it lol. I am posting from it right now and I can't seem to put it down since the upgrade (my ipad 2 is now the one in the closet).

Only complaint I have now is the stupid multi-touch trackpad. I need to disabled the tap to click but can't find the control software, I'm sure it is posted here somewhere.

Dell Mini 10 Black | 2GB RAM | 250GB 7200 RPM (SSD soon) | Windows 7 | Blutooth | HD Screen |

Last edited by DeeperImage; 01-18-2013 at 03:46 AM.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM

have you tried the Dell site?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

(#6) Old

Default 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperImage View Post
NOP,

I've recently upgraded my 1010 to the 2GB card after sitting in my closet for a few years (after buy the iPad I never used it). It was fairly easy and there are a few guides posted that have step-by-step instructions.

Here's my feedback.

-It required small modifications (unless I got the wrong one lol). There are 4 screws on the original 1GB card, on the 2GB card, there are four but they don't align because of the shape of the new card. You can get 3 in with some patience.
-You will also need to modify the original heat shield as the new part didn't come with one. You will need to bend the end of it and make it straight.

I have tried about 5 different OSes on it, including Ubuntu, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows 7, Chomium OS, and even Android. Windows 7 32-bit seems to work best in my experience.

I now have Windows 7 32-bit, Office 2013 and Chrome and it runs like I had always hoped when I bought it lol. I am posting from it right now and I can't seem to put it down since the upgrade (my ipad 2 is now the one in the closet).

Only complaint I have now is the stupid multi-touch trackpad. I need to disabled the tap to click but can't find the control software, I'm sure it is posted here somewhere.

Wich version of Chromium did you used?
Did you had the kernel panic problem?
  (#7) Old

Smile 1010 daughterboard modification? - 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperImage View Post
NOP,

Here's my feedback.

I have the 1010 all apart, ready to install the daughterboard and am not sure how about the modifications you mentioned. Could you elaborate on how to make the 2 GB daughterboard fit? Did you drill the left, front hole a little larger to make it sit on the stud? What did you do to make it fit over the right-hand front stud? The daughterboard doesn't sit properly on the stud--it sits high. Did you remove the stud? If so, how? Also, I'm not sure what you mean regarding the heat shield mod.

Would appreciate a quick response. Thanks
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Cool 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM

personally I just used the 3 screws that do fit, left the other one alone, and just removed the termal pad from the processor VERY carefully and just put it on the new processor, DO NOT USE THERMAL PASTE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
3 screws will hold the board just fine, after all your not going to be throwing the thing around right?....mine has been in for like 3 yrs now and I have NEVER had ANY issues with it since the day I put it in, the last thing I did to mine was to put in the 1 terabyte hard drive, gave 500gb to Windows 7 and 500gb to Windows 8 which I since upgraded to 8.1

Good Luck...

PS. Welcome to the forum................

(#9) Old

Thumbs up 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
personally I just used the 3 screws that do fit, left the other one alone, and just removed the termal pad from the processor VERY carefully and just put it on the new processor, DO NOT USE THERMAL PASTE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
3 screws will hold the board just fine, after all your not going to be throwing the thing around right?....mine has been in for like 3 yrs now and I have NEVER had ANY issues with it since the day I put it in, the last thing I did to mine was to put in the 1 terabyte hard drive, gave 500gb to Windows 7 and 500gb to Windows 8 which I since upgraded to 8.1

Good Luck...

PS. Welcome to the forum................

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome! I used a dremel tool (as someone else suggested) and moved the left hole on the daughterboard to the right about 1/16 of an inch to make the board sit flat on the stud. I dremelled off the top part of the right front stud and placed two layers of friction tape over it to isolate the board as it rested on it. I straightened the right edge of the heat sink in a vise so that it would rest flat on the board and put a layer of tape on the edge between the heat sink and the board. I noticed that the thermal pad did not line up with the new processor, moved it onto the new processor as you suggested. Reassembly went well. I had to reset the date/time when I fired it up. Win7 booted and displayed the 2GB of ram. Yeah!!!

Only one issue which I'll have to research. When I tried to update the Windows Experience Index, the machine blue screened with a problem with igdkmd32.sys. Any ideas? Other than that, I'm calling this a successful mission.

Thanks for the help. This is a great forum, with lots of good info.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Cool 01-27-2014, 09:38 PM

igdkmd32.sys is used by the graphics media accelerator in the system, I believe it was used back in the days of Vista, not sure if the newer versions use it or not, I wouldn't remove it just in case.......just try rebooting and see what happens, if that doesn't work try doing a repair on windows and see what happens from there

PS. I think you went through WAY too much trouble installing that board...mine works fine without all that BullSh*t you did