Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default Battery charge depleted? - 06-02-2011, 06:23 AM

So I've had my DM9 for almost 2 years now. A couple of months ago it fried so I had to send it in to get it fixed. When it came back, everything seemed to be in working order, but then a few weeks later I began to notice that it didn't hold nearly as much charge as it did before I sent it in. Today I looked at the battery meter and it said it only had a 15 minute charge at 100%! Before I sent it in, it had about a 3-hour charge.
I looked at the battery model currently in the laptop... I'm not extremely tech-savvy when it comes to the actual hardware, but on the label it said

14.8v
min2.1Ah

and then there were some characters above that, which looked like they were in Chinese or Japanese.

So did the tech guys switch my battery when they were fixing it or did something malfunction?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Those figures are correct for the 4-cell battery. But the battery meter might need calibration. Which battery meter are you using? I use BatteryBar.

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 06-04-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Those figures are correct for the 4-cell battery. But the battery meter might need calibration. Which battery meter are you using? I use BatteryBar.
I just use the Power Meter that came with the computer.

And also-- My Mom's Boyfriend is good with computers and suggested to me that I reset the battery.
So I turned it off and fully charged it overnight, Then when I got home from school the next day I ran the battery completely down, and that took about 27 minutes. It was longer than I expected based on the Power Meter estimates, but it's still less than 1/3rd of my original battery life.

After I let it charge another 12 hours uninterrupted, when I turned it on the next morning it went down to 99% and stayed like that for a while, so it seemed to be working great again. However, not long after, the battery life suddenly jumped down to 10%. It did this again this afternoon. I should be timing it again right now, but I don't have the time or the focus to do that at the moment. (Time and focus dedicated to English project.)
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 06-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Try installing BatteryBar and see if it gives you different results after running a while. It can also tell you the "capacity" - how much of the original rated power is available at a full charge.

Steve