Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#81) Old

Exclamation 05-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Hi,

I followed your guide but im getting 'unable to patch 64bit kernel...' when booting to the x install dvd.

using mini 1018 and 10.6.3 image

help
  (#82) Old

Cool It did not work for me, but the following worked: - 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Oscar, thank you for your guide. I followed it step by step for my Dell Mini 10v. I started with deleting all the partitions and installing Windows 7 fresh. I simply left the MacOS partition formatted in NTFS until after the install finished.

After Win 7 booted up, I reformatted MacOS partition to FAT32 and then shut down Windows. Then I went on to boot MacOS X 10.6.3 retail DVD (patched to work with MBR) and tried formatting the FAT32 MacOS partition to Mac OS Journaled with Mac OS installer's Disk Utility to no avail. I got the message "Cannot unmount/erase the volume, partition table cannot be modified" everytime I tried.

So I deleted all the partitions and re-installed Windows 7 from scratch again but this time, I left the intended space for Mac OS unallocated. Once Windows 7 booted, I did the following:

In command prompt type DISKPART and press enter. Now you are in DISKPART utility . So here we are using DISKPART for making HFS compatible Partition.

Ran CMD with Administrator priviliges

Ran diskpart from CMD

DISKPART> list disk

" This showed me a list of selectable disks. "

DISKPART> select disk n

[where n = the disk number]

This specified which disk to create a new partition on

DISKPART> create partition primary size=n id=af

[where n = the size in MB of the partition, For 20 gb space n will be 20000 ]
[where af = hfs+ compatible]

Will proceed to create a bootable primary partition for the Mac

DISKPART> list partition

" This command showed me the partitions on the selected disk "

DISKPART> select partition n

[where n = the newly created OSX partition]

This specified the partition

DISKPART> active

" This made my OS X partition the first-boot active partition "

DISKPART> Exit

Exit from DiskPart

Then I immediately went on to reboot the system with 10.6.3 retail disc and NBI boot USB. This time, I was able to erase/format the unallocated space to Mac OS Journaled with Mac OS X Installer's disk utility and installation continued with no problems.
  (#83) Old

Default 07-14-2011, 01:03 PM

hello,

so i am trying your alternate method and i'm experincing lockups way before the 10minute mark.. i can tell the install ahs fully stalled the HD stops reading and the USB drive stops reading.. and i let it sit for 8 hours stalled to see if it iwas just a fluke but nope the install stops at around 4.5gb any suggestions?

edit ending up using your Prep USB without a mac guide.. using a mac to add modCD usb to the usb stick and using that to install with... works perfect

Last edited by Timelord83; 07-15-2011 at 09:15 AM.
  (#84) Old

Default 07-22-2011, 02:03 PM

Oscar thanks for guide. Been using your dual boot on my 10v mini with xp and snow leopard 10.6.3.
However girlfriend downlaoded automatic update and now can't boot back into OSX. It gets to the macintosh HD icon but keeps rebooting. I can go into XP but when i try recovery in OSX i get the message: unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Please use arch i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. can't find y
Is there a simple way to get it back without losing files? preferably in simple terms.
Thanks
  (#85) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 06:08 AM

so blindly trying to raise my post count to send PM's. so heres an update i got it running dual boot and let it update thinking i could get back in and wrong.. so i bricked my OSX install Oopps gotta re-do it.. also had no luck with netbookinstaller i had to use ModCD. ohh well
  (#86) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeric
Oscar thanks for guide. Been using your dual boot on my 10v mini with xp and snow leopard 10.6.3.
However girlfriend downlaoded automatic update and now can't boot back into OSX. It gets to the macintosh HD icon but keeps rebooting. I can go into XP but when i try recovery in OSX i get the message: unable to patch 64 bit kernel. Please use arch i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel. can't find y
Is there a simple way to get it back without losing files? preferably in simple terms.
Thanks
I have some suggestions for you, but I'm out of the house for now. I'll update this later today when I get home.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#87) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 09:51 PM

update.. i want to tri boot my mini and followed a guide from here:
Triple boot with Chameleon bootloader – Windows 7 | OS X 10.6 | Ubuntu 10.10 « OSX86SV

and between his poor English and instructions i wasn't able to successfully get it running . props for his tut but it wasn't of any help to me ...

hoping i can get some assistance with a tri-boot set of instructions that will work :P. It did look pretty in the bootloader seeing all 3 os's.. just 2 didn't work Windows and Ubuntu . windows refused to recover the Boot sector for its partition. and ubuntu would only work with the ubuntu live cd booted first
  (#88) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeric View Post
Thanks
unfortunately, your situation is not simple, i don't think.

i have come across "Please use arch i386 to use a 10.6.2 or newer kernel" error, as far as i can tell it occurs because the bootloader (chameleon) is looking for one version of the OS, and finding another.

Unfortunately, the only way i was ever able to overcome it was to reformat and start over.

before you go that route tho, you might want to scour the 10.6.8 threads; you may find info there. (i have not yet taken the plunge into 10.6.8 myself)...

as far as your files;
one way to get to them is to use a linux live install (like parted magic). linux will see and let you copy the files to an external drive.

If you do have to start over, you will need to format the os x partition in a particular way. specifically, you need to erase the partition and make it 'raw space'; save it as raw space. and then reformat to the os x format you'll need to install the os back.

hope this helps a bit.

cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
  (#89) Old

Default 07-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord83 View Post
update.. i want to tri boot my mini and followed a guide from here:
Triple boot with Chameleon bootloader – Windows 7 | OS X 10.6 | Ubuntu 10.10 « OSX86SV

and between his poor English and instructions i wasn't able to successfully get it running . props for his tut but it wasn't of any help to me ...

hoping i can get some assistance with a tri-boot set of instructions that will work :P. It did look pretty in the bootloader seeing all 3 os's.. just 2 didn't work Windows and Ubuntu . windows refused to recover the Boot sector for its partition. and ubuntu would only work with the ubuntu live cd booted first
PM sent. -- this is re: the mini 12 right?

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboy View Post
Hi,

I followed your guide but im getting 'unable to patch 64bit kernel...' when booting to the x install dvd.

using mini 1018 and 10.6.3 image

help
hey there.. it seems i've neglected this thread a bit. sorry. i replied to another user w/ similar issue a few posts ago. i intended to respond to you earlier. the thing is that i don't have direct experience w/ the 1018 so i'm not sure the issue is the same as it is on the 10v-- reason i say that is that the other instance where i saw this error message was when i attempted to install 10.6.3 to my 10v via netbookCD method. and that issue i was never able to overcome.

i hope this reply is still relevant, and that you've found a way to make use of your mini regardless. there are threads specifically dealing w/ the 1018. i recommend you scour those a bit.

cheers.

(#90) Old

Default 09-05-2011, 07:09 PM

I marked the mac partition as active and am also missing BOOTMGR. Not a big deal, can be fixed. I'm more concerned with my OSX "issue". With the usb stick in, I can boot OSX 10.6.3 no problem (i'm not worried about updating it because I have no need to right now) but after I ran NBI, rebooted, and took usb out, I get the "64 bit kernel" error. It works with the usb in and I'm not super worried about it (will probably just format an sd card with boot loader and leave it in), it's just annoying to me. Am I misunderstanding this by thinking NBI installs the boot loader to the hdd so you don't have to use a USB?

I don't consider this a problem as much as an annoyance. I'm thinking I just updated to a version of chameleon that is looking for a newer version of OSX (per Oscars tip a few posts ago). If someone knows a fix...post away. If not...looks like my mini will have an sd card up its arse for a while....Thanks guys...

Tags
10.6.3, 10v, dual boot, installation help, mini 9