Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 10v Full Review - 05-30-2009, 06:37 AM

So I don't personally have one... But I'm on the verge. I'm between the 2140 (Hi res Version) and the 10v.

I know a lot of people should be getting these in, as they have shipped just recently. So I'm hoping this thread will catch on as the "Go To" review for the mini 10v.

Some areas I'm sure me and everyone else are particularly interested in with the 10v.

- Ability to Run osX or not.
- how it handles video content (HD and YouTube, Hulu, and other Formats)
- Battery Life
- Side By Side pics of the 10v and the 10.
- Video Reviews are a must!
- Anything else reviewing about.

So this thread is to those who have the mini10 v and who are willing to post their reviews. With the above things in mind.

That would be awesome
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwmedia View Post
So I don't personally have one... But I'm on the verge. I'm between the 2140 (Hi res Version) and the 10v.

I know a lot of people should be getting these in, as they have shipped just recently. So I'm hoping this thread will catch on as the "Go To" review for the mini 10v.

Some areas I'm sure me and everyone else are particularly interested in with the 10v.

- Ability to Run osX or not.
- how it handles video content (HD and YouTube, Hulu, and other Formats)
- Battery Life
- Side By Side pics of the 10v and the 10.
- Video Reviews are a must!
- Anything else reviewing about.

So this thread is to those who have the mini10 v and who are willing to post their reviews. With the above things in mind.

That would be awesome
- Yes, it runs OS X. Wifi is a little wonky at first because of no initial autoconfig, and sound doesn't work. See my thread in the OS X forum for the fix.
- Dunno, haven't tried video.
- With a stock battery, and an HD vs SSD, I got about 2 hours.
- Can't help with the pics.
- I refuse to be on video.
- Check some of the other threads floating around. A few others have been reviewing as well.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default Mini 10v Review - 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM

I received my Mini 10v Yesterday. In general I am pleased. I got the Jade Green color and I like the color very much. The build quality is acceptable. I have the 3 cell battery which make the unit nice and light. I may get a 6 cell some day but I wanted the unit to be as slim and light as possible. I have another mini coming soon from a a different company that has a 6 cell battery so If I really need the full 6 hours of battery time, I'll likely use that one, or maybe get a 6 cell battery for this one if DELL gets smart enough to offer it cheap for existing customers that purchased from them. I should have received a coupon in the box to purchase a 6 cell battery for cheap just in case I deciede I do want one.

My ONLY complaints so far are the touchpad is a bit of a problem, you get cursor jump if your using the buttons. I downloaded the latest driver updates and I am experiencing the same problem. After a while you get reconditioned to NOT leave you finger near the button until your ready to strike it. I am diasppointed that dell didn't choose to have a better touch pad on the 10v after they ALREADY rec'd plenty of bad press about the Mini 10 touchpad. Still I think if they put their minds to it they could potentially resolve the touchpad issue ...this truely is an issue. My ONLY other complaint is when browsing the internet there can be a slight lag between hitting the enter key and the browser actually doing something. I have noticed this before with other systems and it can be difficult to track down, I know it is not my wireless network because I have laptops that don't behave this way. The problem could be with the wireless adapter, the driver (which Is updated), or with Microsoft Windows and IE. The problem exist in both IE6 and IE8. It is just a little lag between selection and actual whirling and twirling of the browser gerbals. This lag is only slight and I'll probably get it reduced as I continue to uncover the memory eating junkware. I have cut the memory in half by removing some junk from startup and services. I wish you could just get a very clean laptop these days. Other than the two minor issues the 10v is working GREAT. The keyboard is good, it is super light. the screen is good. Even though the screen is not glass wide like the mini 10 the 10v looks good and snazzy. Its is probably food for arguement but I would prefer a larger TAB key and a smaller Caps Lock key. Nothing bothers a hunt and peck typist more than a large caps lock. ALL in all is is a totally groovy laptop, the camer is working fine, you need plenty of light but that is the case for most. When you hold the laptop in your hand you can feel a slight sharpness from the case cover, perhaps there could have been more rounding there. Oh and you may have to hold the power button down for a second or two to get the unit turned on. The keys on the top use the shift and not the function button to initiate. I think it is a nice laptop, very light and once I get the minior issues resolved I will like it very much. I doubt I'll upgrade the memory if it is a very complicated process that may result in a scratch to the unit or some kind of breakage. I think they sould have proivided access to the memory area. All in all ...The 10v is GOOD. I think RIGHT NOW you can get a better laptop in terms of build quality, battery, and memory upgradability for the same money ... but then you won't find the cool color ... so it is a trade off. I'll use this for the slimness and style and the new one thats coming for the longer battery and ease of memory upgrade. Dell, I want a MATCHING green bluetooth mouse that performes ... can you do it for a great price .... or how about just sending it free to your customers than arn't particulairly happy with the touchpad. Call it good will
Enjoy your 10v people.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Oh, I have run some youtube videos and they worked great. I am going to load up my videos and try them out but I suspect they will play fine.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-30-2009, 03:51 PM

could you post links to the videos when there up?

Thanks.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-30-2009, 05:54 PM

Steve, Vance meant he has watched YouTube videos on his 10v. Not that he has made any.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 05:57 AM

Thanks for your post Vance. That was a very useful and interesting write-up. I just got the Mini 9 in favor of the 10V simply because of the trackpad (though overall I would have preferred the 10V). Dell say they have done extensive research into what customers want from their trackpad, but still they have got it terribly wrong. Unbelievable.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grace View Post
Thanks for your post Vance. That was a very useful and interesting write-up. I just got the Mini 9 in favor of the 10V simply because of the trackpad (though overall I would have preferred the 10V). Dell say they have done extensive research into what customers want from their trackpad, but still they have got it terribly wrong. Unbelievable.
Not necessarily. After using it for about a week I preferred it to the 9's trackpad. It's not the normal one so preconceived notions turn most people against it immediately. There are quite a few posts of people who love it, I don't think Dell was terribly wrong.
  (#9) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 05:52 PM

VanceAndTriples,
The Synaptics drivers from Dell don't allow all of its functions. The ones from Synaptics allow more tweaking, like the sensitivity in the area of the buttons. There are even newer drivers out "in the wild." Such as these:

Synaptics DriverVer v12.2.11.0 - nVision
Overall, I think I like the Synaptics touchpad on the 10v better than the Elantech on the 10.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#10) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtom View Post
VanceAndTriples,
The Synaptics drivers from Dell don't allow all of its functions. The ones from Synaptics allow more tweaking, like the sensitivity in the area of the buttons. There are even newer drivers out "in the wild." Such as these:

Synaptics DriverVer v12.2.11.0 - nVision
Overall, I think I like the Synaptics touchpad on the 10v better than the Elantech on the 10.
I like the multi-touch better. Maybe it's just me. I don't need to press the buttons any more. even drag and drop can be done without pressing buttons