General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default Backup and Restore CCC image - 06-22-2009, 07:14 AM

All

Thanks to this forum I have been able to successfully install and setup my Dell Mini 9 with OSX.

To ensure I am able to revert back to a working image quickly, can you advise how I can achieve a working backup image.

I have successully created a Carbon Copy Clone, to a remote machine, compressing it to save space.

However I would like to know what is the best way to restore from this image if ever I need to. In case I or other users of this machine break something?

I am looking for a way to boot off a USB disk, and revert back to this image, as I no longer have access to the DVD drive I used for this install, as I borrowed this from a friend.

Thanks
Freddy121
  (#2) Old

Default 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM

It depends on what happened/what condition the Mini 9 is in when you're attempting to restore. If you can still boot into the system, using Safe Mode or normally, I would recommend using the CCC restore function or alternatively Disk Utility.

If you can't boot into the operating system at all, you're going to need to boot off the install DVD or a USB image. If you don't have access to the retail DVD as you said, you still need to get a hold of it one more time to create an image of the disc.

Follow the directions here to create a USB boot key: Guide Method 1 - Single USB Drive (Mac-only) | DellEFI | mechdrew

You just need to follow the directions under Prep Work.
I would recommend however that you use a 16GB USB in order to copy the restore image to the USB as well. Either that or you will need to burn the backup image to a DVD. You will not be able to access the network drive from the OSX install screen.

Use the restore directions here to restore the image: Guide Advanced 1: Backup and Restore Installations | DellEFI | mechdrew

And that should do it.
  (#3) Old

Default 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the info above.

Whilst I was waiting to see what replies I got, I tried the following.

Using CCC I imaged my SSD drive across to a portable Hard drive(When I configured this way, CCC advised that the target would be bootable.

I attempted to boot without success. (Attempt 1)

Then tried to boot with my bootable usb key, the USB booted okay and after pressing esc, I selected the USB hard disk, however after the grey Apple screen it proceeded no further. (Attempt 2)

Using my working SSD OSX partition, I kicked of the process to rectify permissions on the USB hard disk, (I left this overnight)

I will let you know the progress, as it seemed to have found some issues. (Attempt 3)
  (#4) Old

Default 06-23-2009, 02:04 AM

I don't think you're going to be able to make a bootable backup with CCC, because CCC does not copy the hidden DellEFI bootloader files.

I think your best bet is to select "Backup to Image File" in CCC to create a single image backup, which will allow for a quick and easy system recovery. This is personally what I've used in the past and it was worked perfectly.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-23-2009, 03:32 AM

I was planning to boot using the USB key, then install the DELLEFI bootloader files to the USB hard disk, using a similar procedure as the initial installation procedure. Thus making a bootable USB hard disk.

This bootable hard disk could be used it the future to boot and clone back its contents and then install the DELLEFI bootloaders to the SSD.

I will keep you posted
  (#6) Old

Default 06-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Okay I have made a backup hard drive, however using the boot usb key, I am unable to select the USB hard disk to allow it to be selected for booting, is there any tricks to this?

Once the USB key starts, I press escape, and type 81 (Which is the USB hard drive), however the dell mini continues to boot off the SSD

Is there any tricks to get this going?

Do I need to disconnect the SSD?

Thanks