Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Raspberry Pi Desktop - 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Anyone still here? So just for fun I experimented with a new OS for my antique Mini 910 but this would apply to almost any PC.
download the OS here. https://www.raspberrypi.org/download...ry-pi-desktop/

I tried endlessly to install any small version of Linux on the 4GB SSD, not happening. I at this time wanted to keep the Win 7 image on my Runcore 64GB SSD so I bought one of these for $12.https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-64G...72.m2749.l2649

Burn the image to CD or DVD and install to the SanDisc. It of course is still a bit slow but my WinTV-HVR tuner works well as well as streaming old movies even from my slow wifi hotspot on my T-Mobile phone.

Give it a try. Included in the OS is word processor, spreadsheet and other. The best part is just pop this usb drive in any machine, boot and you have your own private OS with it's own browser.

I still like this mini obsolete laptop.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 04-03-2020, 09:37 PM

Nobody here but us chickens!

I admit I haven't powered on my Mini 9 in months.

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 04-10-2020, 12:30 PM

It's just you and me holmes4.
I've let this stew for some time now and I'm still impressed. This is a great tiny personal TV/online movie viewer. If I fire up Kaffeine and watch TV then close the screen, it pops right on again when opened.
I went looking for a Mini 1010 on eBay. Looking to find one cheap with the internal TV tuner. Not many out there. I guess they're all in the trash.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-12-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
It's just you and me holmes4.
I've let this stew for some time now and I'm still impressed. This is a great tiny personal TV/online movie viewer. If I fire up Kaffeine and watch TV then close the screen, it pops right on again when opened.
I went looking for a Mini 1010 on eBay. Looking to find one cheap with the internal TV tuner. Not many out there. I guess they're all in the trash.
The ones with build in TV tuner or GSM options are quite rare, since those where much more expensive, and nearly nobody bought them.
and most people who get one of those, look it up, and see that its not usable anymore, then they trow it away, even when it was the more uxorious version

I am going to use My Mini as a Linux based Pihole/multi function system, since windows 10 is exorbitantly slow with the latest windows 10 version. {even if you remove loads of functions of windows 10 as useless apps, like xbox, maps and such}

Windows 10 in 2020 is no longer functioning correctly on the Mini 910/1010.

it just is WAAAY to slow for it to function correctly. even 360-720P video's with the most lightweight videoplayer do not play correctly anymore.

99% of the time its buffering and loading the video.

Gonna look for a Linux version that is nearly stripped bare, as in only a ultra basic graphical interface. {so i can use multiple command prompts if needed for all the separate apps/tools i am going to run}

dell mini 910
supertalent dual wide ssd 128GB
2GB ddr2 400mhz ram
Realtek RTL8188SU
(not the 3G version)
hdd cooler as extra cooling