FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM

This works great for fitting apps on the screen, but it seems to jack up my dock and the icons on my desktop. When you ctrl+click on a dock icon the menu appears sort of randomly on the screen and is messed up. And icon's on the desktop cannot be moved around correctly. I'm assuming this isn't a unique problem that I'm experiencing, and it's the normal functionality of this workaround. Let me know if I'm wrong.

--One other thing I noticed is that it messes up the top of a firefox window. I'm building this for my dad and want him to be able to just use it and not have to worry about switching it from 100% to 75% and back.
  (#22) Old

Send a message via AIM to BeyondtheTech Send a message via MSN to BeyondtheTech Send a message via Yahoo to BeyondtheTech
Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Is there anyone willing to update the Mac video drivers to allow panning of a larger desktop resolution on the 1024x600 display? The Windows driver has been easily able to do this for years. I don't mind setting my desktop resolution to 1280x720 and move the screen beyond the edges to see more. It's a small price to pay to allow every application that has a minimum requirement of 1024x768 to work without tweaking it.

Black Mini 9 • 2GB • 64GB • BT 2.1 • 1.3MP • 802.11g • XP SP3 • OSX 10.5.7 • DellEFI 1.1 • MBR • A05
Read my guide on How to Dual-boot OS X and Windows from the DellEFI Method!
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonsc
I made two Automator apps that can do this. If anyone is interested here is the links.

Display Scale 100% http://files.me.com/ammonsc/e68idz
Display Scale 75% http://files.me.com/ammonsc/klldq2

Maybe there should be a "killall Finder" at the end of it so all the finder windows shrink as well?
How do you actually use these scripts? Where to you put them? How do you launch them? Does it scale just a single app, or whatever you are looking at right then?

Thanks,
Sean

Dell Mini 9
2GB
32 GB SSD (Super Talent)
OS X 10.5.6
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 03-23-2009, 05:06 PM

I keep them in my utilities folder which is in my Dock as well. Just click on them like an app. It will not change the size of a window/app that is open when ran only what opens after the fact. I added a killall Finder at the end of mine so it shrinks the finder menu bar as well.

Dell Mini 9
64GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 1.3mp Cam, BT Module
OS X 10.5.6
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Hey there folks, new here and have a question...
I got DM9 and intend to install a 16 GB SSD with OSX already installed on it for some sweet hackintosh action.
I know that there are some screen size issues that require a hack (this thread) to adjust the windows down to a manageable size for the display. Serato Scratch Live has a minimum resolution limitation (1024 x 768) and I was wondering if there is a workaround that anyone has found so it can be used on the Mini 9 (1024 x 600)? I have a 12" G4 powerbook that runs Serato pretty well but it would be great to have this ultra portable little guy available to use for that as well...
Any info on this would be great thanks!

Black Dell Mini 9 • 2 Gb RAM • OS X 10.5.6
16 Gb SSD • 16 GB SDHC • 16 GB Super Talent USB Flash Drive
Primarily Using: Safari 4 Beta • Serato Scratch Live • MS Word • Photoshop CS4 • VLC
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM

this scale method is so cool but what we need is panning method....it works on microsoft system for years now....
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 03-31-2009, 06:11 AM

So the Automator Apps work great for native apps, but what about under X11?

It only seems to scale X11 but not the app it opens (example: Inkscape).

Any ideas on a fix for this?
  (#28) Old

Send a message via ICQ to DJFriar Send a message via AIM to DJFriar Send a message via Yahoo to DJFriar
Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 04-04-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_shaw
This works great for fitting apps on the screen, but it seems to jack up my dock and the icons on my desktop. When you ctrl+click on a dock icon the menu appears sort of randomly on the screen and is messed up. And icon's on the desktop cannot be moved around correctly. I'm assuming this isn't a unique problem that I'm experiencing, and it's the normal functionality of this workaround. Let me know if I'm wrong.
I'm seeing the same thing. I'd like to just ,y setting to .8 an leave it alone, but the desktop bugs will bug the crud out of me. Anyone have a more ... elegant ... fix??

Dell Mini 9 | 32GB ST SSD | 2GB RAM | OS X 10.5.6
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 04-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks to all who have made suggestions here.

All I wanted to do was be able to use The World Book Encyclopedia on my Mini. Like some other apps it appears to check the screen resolution before it will open and, if it doesn't like what it sees, ie a screen size less than 1024x768, tells you it won't open on any screen size less than that and promptly quits.

None of the Terminal tricks listed here—clever though they are—worked.

What finally did work for me was SwitchResX 3.8.6 http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8355/switchresx. And while it doesn't actually seem to produce that screen resolution, the World Book now at least opens.

Next I have to figure out how to read the bottom of the page. (Maybe then it's time to shrink the page? :idea: )
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution - 04-12-2009, 04:08 AM

I created a quick little program that will add a menu extra for selecting a level of zoom. You'll need to add it to your login items in order for it to display each login (I opted not to use the private classes to create this; so it isn't a 'real' menu extra).

It sets the AppleDisplayScaleFactor property; so changes are temporary (fixed with a restart).

I've only been using it a few hours, but it seems pretty stable. If anyone is interested I could provide the xcode project files. Here is the application:

http://idisk.mac.com/tonymutti-Public/statusBar.zip

Enjoy!