FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-19-2008, 05:20 AM

Yeah I re-read the howto, and its definitely not what I was thinking when using MBR booting. Sounds like you would definitely need it. Don't blow away your disk. :lol:
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Cool. I am considering doing this when I get mine. The only reason would be if OS X doesn't boot or something, though. If Parallels is usable on the Mini 9 (anyone know?), should I just stick w/that? I remember reading on here that we need to set the wireless on through XP, and also that XP is necessary to update the BIOS, so I wouldn't want to have to re-install all the time...
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharles
Cool. I am considering doing this when I get mine. The only reason would be if OS X doesn't boot or something, though. If Parallels is usable on the Mini 9 (anyone know?), should I just stick w/that? I remember reading on here that we need to set the wireless on through XP, and also that XP is necessary to update the BIOS, so I wouldn't want to have to re-install all the time...
So many misconceptions in this. :mrgreen:

1. If Parallels is usable on the Mini 9 (anyone know?) - Sure works fine, its slow...what do you expect from this little processor. :lol:
2. I remember reading on here that we need to set the wireless on through XP - No, it was said to turn on bluetooth before you installed OSX. Worst case, you can always just turn it on with a linux live CD if you forgot.
3. XP is necessary to update the BIOS - No, there are a lot of DOS bootable utilities to do it. Search around the forum here, some of the people here have made some very helpful utils that you can use to make a bootable USB stick.
  (#14) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-19-2008, 07:48 PM

You do NOT want to update the bios in XP! There are at least 5 people I've seen on this forum that have killed their mini9's doing a bios update in XP.

And yes, XP works amazingly well in Parallels. You won't be doing any multimedia with it, or games, but say you need to run Microsoft Money, or something else like that that is windows only.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-23-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
And yes, XP works amazingly well in Parallels. You won't be doing any multimedia with it, or games, but say you need to run Microsoft Money, or something else like that that is windows only.
I'm considering this method rather than dual booting. Will the SD slot work pretty close to how it performs under XP until there is a more optimized driver for OSX?
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-23-2008, 03:04 PM

You can try virtualbox they just updated it a few days ago, works much much better than it used to. Free option if you want to try it.
  (#17) Old
Guru

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-23-2008, 08:38 PM

The SD slot is not USB, so you can't redirect it to the Virtual Machine like you can with most any other USB device. So you won't be able to read SDHC in the SD slot while running XP in a VM anymore than you were able to before.
Something worth noting. Parallels version 4 REQUIRES VTx, which is a set of virtualization instructions that Intel came up with, and aren't included in the Atom CPU (and really, most of their CPU's don't have it still). I use Paralllels version 3, works great.

(#18) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-24-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
The SD slot is not USB, so you can't redirect it to the Virtual Machine like you can with most any other USB device. So you won't be able to read SDHC in the SD slot while running XP in a VM anymore than you were able to before.
Something worth noting. Parallels version 4 REQUIRES VTx, which is a set of virtualization instructions that Intel came up with, and aren't included in the Atom CPU (and really, most of their CPU's don't have it still). I use Paralllels version 3, works great.
That's good information to know. Guess I'll have to check out virtualbox or an older version of Parallels. But if it comes down to the only thing I'll need from Windows is a command prompt, I think I may be better of just using this:

http://www.dosbox.com/
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
Parallels version 4 REQUIRES VTx
Are you sure? I haven't looked at mine in a while, but I thought it was an option you could turn off and on like in Parallels? Virtualbox has the option off/on as well, in case you want to try it out.
  (#20) Old
Guru

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-24-2008, 05:17 PM

VirtualBox crashes on me constantly, I've never successfully installed Windows on it.
And yes, I'm sure. Par 4 wouldn't even install when it saw I didn't have VTx.. I editted the installer plist to get around that and then the program just flat would not run. Par 3 asks if I'd like to turn on VTx, but will continue to work fine without it.