FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 9 Dual Boot: OSX and Windows 7 using only a Windows Vista Machine for prepartion - 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Took me a while to do this but finally got a fully working dual boot using only a Windows Vista machine for preparation of my USB boot drive and USB installation drives. I pieced together sections of multiple write ups I found here on the site. Hope this helps someone out.

My setup:
Dell Mini 9
RunCore 32GB SSD
2GB Corsair RAM 5300
0.3 MP webcam
No Bluetooth

Materials used for my installation:

- 512MB USB thumb drive
- 8GB USB thumb drive
- 16GB USB thumb drive
- OSX 10.5 retail installation DVD
- Windows 7 RC ISO image

In this tutorial we are going to install OSX first. You can get away with only using two USB thumb drives. After installing the OSX, you can re use the same drive to prepare your Windows 7 installation. I did not utilize the Chameleon boot loader, but did still use the DellEFI 1.2 Alpha to load extensions and necessary items during the OSX install. Also, I am typing this install from memory so I hope that I am outlining the proper steps.

Alpine White Mini 9 | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | Win7 & OSX Dual Boot | Psyopper Sleeve | 16GB Corsair Flash Drive | 500GB Maxtor USB Drive | Bluetooth ordered
  (#2) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM

A - Boot drive Preparation and OSX drive Preparation

1) Install TransMac and then run the program. Insert the DVD into your drive and the larger USB drive into an available port. Right-click on your DVD, select "Save Image of Disk" and save it to a folder on your hard drive. Wait for this to finish. Next, right-click on your flash drive*, highlight "Format Disk" and select "Format with Disk Image". Select the DVD image you just created, "Open", and then click "Yes". Wait for this to finish, this will probably take at least half an hour.

Also download and copy the Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update onto your OSX installation thumbdrive if you have room. If you don’t have room to have both the installation and the update on the drive you will have to come back to your Windows machine after the OSX installation has completed and copy the update to the thumbdrive.

*I used a 16GB flash drive, but I have read that a 8GB drive will work.

2) Download the appropriate DellMiniBoot ISO.

10.5.0 - 10.5.5 install discs use http://dellefi.mechdrew.com/download...iboot8_0_1.iso

10.5.6 install discs use http://dellefi.mechdrew.com/download...oot8_0_2b1.iso

3) Unzip and open the DellMiniBoot ISO with the program of your choosing. I used the free version of WinRar, although there are several free programs on the Internet that can be used to open ISO images. Just google it and download the program of your choosing. Copy all of the contents of the ISO onto your smaller USB thumb drive.*

* I used a 512MB thumb drive.

4) Download Syslinux. Create a folder on your C: drive named “Syslinux”. Unzip the contents of the Syslinux download into the newly created Syslinux folder on your C: drive.

5) Be sure your smaller USB thumb drive is still plugged in. From the Vista start menu, type “CMD” in the search box. Once the Command Prompt program is visible in the search results, right click on the Command Prompt program, and select “Run as Administrator”.

6) In this step we are copying contents from the Syslinux folder on the C: drive to smaller USB thumb drive. From the Command Prompt navigate to the \Syslinux\win32 folder on the C: drive.

Code:
cd C:\syslinux\win32

Then type:

Code:
syslinux.exe -ma <your smaller USB drive letter>

On mine it looks like:

Code:
syslinux.exe -ma E:

It should take a few seconds and then return to a blank prompt. This is normal, you are done with this step.

Alpine White Mini 9 | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | Win7 & OSX Dual Boot | Psyopper Sleeve | 16GB Corsair Flash Drive | 500GB Maxtor USB Drive | Bluetooth ordered
  (#3) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM

B - OSX Installation on Dell Mini 9

1) With the Mini off, insert the boot USB drive (the smaller one) into the left side of your Mini, and the larger drive containing the OSX installation into the right side. Turn the Mini on and hold “2” (the number two) on your keyboard. This will enter setup. Make sure that “USB Legacy Mode” is enabled, and “USB Wake from Sleep” is disabled. Save settings and exit the BIOS setup. The computer will restart.

2) Upon reboot press 0 when prompted to choose your boot device. When the available boot options appear select the USB option for booting.

3) The computer should boot into the USB drive containing the DellMiniBootISO. Once the program loads it will appear to have an error. This is normal. At the DellEFI boot prompt, press “Esc” (Escape) and then type either “81” or “82” to bring up the USB drive with the DVD files on it.* Press enter. You are now in the Mac OS X Leopard Installer.

*On my computer the USB drive containing the OSX installation was on 82.

4) When the installation program comes up, choose your country/language you wish to install. Next go the menu bar click Utilities -> Disk Utility. Choose your SSD drive from the left hand menu. In the main/right hand window area select the Partition tab.

5) In the main windows that contains the partition schemes, choose 2 partitions. Click on the top partition. Title this partition OSXMini9 and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the partition type. On the bottom partition title it Windows 7 and choose Fat32 as the partition type.

6) Now click the Options button. This will bring up a menu with available partition tables. Choose the GUID Partition Table option and click OK. Back on the partition tab click Apply. The OSX installation program will now format the SSD.

7) Once the drive has finished formatting navigate to the screen where you select which drive you would like to install OSX to. Choose the drive title OSXMini9 and hit Install. Navigate to the next screen and select the Customize. Within this new menu deselect all options you desire in order to slim down the size of the installation. I deselected all available options.

8) Execute the installation. This will take anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on your hardware configuration and installation options.

Near the end of the installation I received the error message stating that the OSX installation failed (something along the lines of the OSX installation could not choose a startup disk). Don’t panic, this is normal. Go ahead and click the highlighted Restart button in the bottom right hand portion of the screen.

9)
When the computer reboots, the DellMiniBootISO will run again. This time when you get to the boot prompt hit Esc (Escape) and type in either “81” or “82” and press Enter in order to select the boot drive that contains your new OSXMini9 installation.* Confirm that the highlighted text just below the top of the screen says OSXMini9. If the wrong boot option was selected just press Esc again and type in the other number. There will be a boot prompt (boot: ) with a blinking cursor. At this prompt type -x and press enter. **

*I had to choose 81 in order to get OSXMini9 to show.

** By typing in -x at the boot prompt the computer will load OSX into safe mode to avoid a common error upon the first time booting into OSX.

10) Go through the first time setup menus by following the on screen instructions. You will notice that some stuff will be funky like screen resolution and WiFi not working. This is because you have not loaded any of the necessary extensions for these devices to work properly. You could attempt to load the proper OSX updates and the DellEFI Alpha 1.2 right now and it will probably work fine, though these are not the steps I took. So if you choose to proceed with the update and DellEFI right now, do so at your own risk. I will outline when I ran these procedures later in the tutorial.

11) Shut down computer and prepare for the Windows 7 installation.

(#4) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:41 PM

C -Windows 7 Boot Drive Preparation

1) I slimmed down the Windows 7 installation for my install. I utilized the tutorial at the link below. Follow this tutorial until step 14. Once you reach step 14, come back here
and proceed with my Step -2.

Although this tutorial is supposed to slim down the installation to 3.06GB when completed, I could only get it down to 5.5GB. So it is still smaller than a full install, but not as slim as advertised.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/wind...hdd-space.html

2) You will need to format your 4 or 8 GB USB thumb drive so that the Dell Mini will recognize it as a bootable drive. Plug in your Slim7 boot drive into your working windows machine.

3) If you have Windows Vista or newer, you can use diskpart utility to make it bootable. This will erase the drive though. If you have XP or earlier this process should still work, but I am not certain. I utilized this thread in order to make my USB thumb drive bootable. You can refer to it for help.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/wind...asy-steps.html

Start>Run> cmd
diskpart
list disk
select disk <n> (whichever corresponds to your usb from above)
clean
create partition primary
active
format quick fs=fat32
assign
exit

4) Copy all of the contents of your slimmed down Windows7 install on to your Slim7 thumb drive.

(#5) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM

D - Windows 7 Install

1) Start the DellMini9 with only the Slim7 thumb drive installed into a USB port. Upon the boot press 0 for the boot menu and choose the USB boot option. This will boot the Slim7 USB drive and bring you to the first page of the Windows 7 installation menu.

2) Click the Start button to begin the installation. After that screen, on your Mini 9 press FN+shift+F10. This will bring up a command prompt. Within this command prompt we are going to format the Fat32 partition that was created during the OSX installation into a NTFS partition. Type following commands

diskpart
list disk
select disk n (where n = disk number that is your SDD)
list volume
select volume n(where n = volume number that is currently formatted as FAT32)
format fs=NTFS quick

Once the formatting has completed exit out of the command prompt windows(s) and proceed to the installation screen that gives you the Custom Installation option.

3) Click Custom Installation -> Custom. You will see a list of partitions. Select and confirm the NTFS formatted partition. Continue through the following screens and let the installation commence.

4) When that is done (a reboot is involved), run Windows (your machine should be booting directly into Windows, without any indication that you have a Mac install). Download the program download EasyBCD 1.7.2

http://neosmart.net/downloads/softwa...CD%201.7.2.exe

and install the program.

5) Run the EasyBCD installer within Windows 7. Once installed launch EasyBCD and go through the 'add' boot option to add a Mac OSX boot option. Make sure you select the Generic i86/pc version (something like that...you only have two options, it's not the mac one).

At this point you can run windows updates and customize Windows 7 as you see fit. We will now move onto post-installation necessities.

(#6) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:43 PM

E - Post Installation

1) Shut down windows and put your DellMiniBootISO Thumb Drive in and boot the machine.

2) Just as before, boot into OSX by first pressing Esc to enter the boot prompt then typing either 81 or 82. You should not need to boot into safe mode this time.

3) Download DellEFIAlpha1.2 on your working installation of Windows and transfer it to the to the OSX install via one of the thumb drives. http://mydellmini.googlecode.com/files/DellEFI1.2a5.zip

4) Choose the Custom Installation radio button at the top of program and select the following options only:
-"Install Chameleon bootloader"
-"Install Dell Mini 9 Extensions"
-"Hide DellEFI files"
-"Remove custom dsdt.aml file"
-"Restore the 10.5.5 keyboard pref pane"
-"Disable Hibernate and remove sleep file (recommended)"

Then select install at the bottom of the screen. The items will install and should prompt for a reboot. DO NOT REBOOT!!!!!! Go ahead with the next step. Install the 10.5.7 update.

6) Download and install the Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update.

The computer will probably ask for a reboot after the update installation.

7) Boot back into OSX one last time. Run the DellEFIAlpha 1.2a program again. This time choose the following options only:
-"Reinstall Dell Mini 9 Extensions"
-"Hide DellEFI files"
-"Generate a system specific dsdt.aml file"

You can choose other options if you so see fit, but do so at your own risk.

8) You should now have a fully functional dual boot. You can play around to see if you can get the Chameleon bootloader to work, but I couldn’t. All the Chameleon does is give you a graphical boot selections when you start your computer. I’m just fine with using a text based boot loader.

You may want to go back into the BIOS setup one last time and turn off “USB Legacy BIOS support” and turn on the “Bluetooth” if you are going to use it. This will alleviate conflicts in OSX with USB devices and the computer entering sleep mode.

Play with your new dual boot Dell Mini 9!

(#7) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Want to say a big thank you to MechDrew. Your site help me a ton. Thanks!

Here is a link of the resources I utilized to do my dual boot.

Downloads | DellEFI | mechdrew
Guide Method 1 - Single USB Drive (Mac-only) | DellEFI | mechdrew
Old Guide | DellEFI | mechdrew
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...osx-guide.html
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/wind...hdd-space.html

There are probably more that I can't think of right now.