FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Silverlight 3.0 - It Works, Same Fix as 2.0 - 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM

As reported by DownloadSquad, Silverlight 3 is now out. You won't find it officially on the Silverlight site, but you can download it here. You will need to modify the installer package in order for it to install, otherwise you will get the infamous, "Silverlight 2 may not be installed on PowerPC." error. (Yes, Silverlight 3 still says "Silverlight 2" in the error message. It's still version 3.)

I have copied my old set of instructions from http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...ac-solved.html so that everyone can make the necessary adjustments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew
Open the disk image you downloaded, copy the installer package to your desktop or some other folder (you have to do this or else you can't delete a file like you will need to later on). Then right click and select "Show Package Contents". Open "Contents" then "Resources" and finally delete the "InstallationCheck" file. Close all of those windows and then double click the installer package as usual. Install goes as normal.
No news yet on whether there is any increased speed/performance.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#2) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 02:06 AM

Supposedly 3.0 is supposed to offload some processing to the GPU, but if there are any performance gains I don't see them at all. Netflix is still as choppy as before.
  (#3) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
Supposedly 3.0 is supposed to offload some processing to the GPU, but if there are any performance gains I don't see them at all. Netflix is still as choppy as before.
Netflix is sometimes choppy for me too but I find that using a notebook cooler helps a bit. Not sure if I'm just imagining things but cooling it down seems to help.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 07-10-2009, 03:23 AM

Oddly enough, I have slightly improved performance in windowed mode with Netflix, but fullscreen looks worse in my opinion. Then again, I am using Firefox, maybe I should try Safari.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#5) Old

Default 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
As reported by DownloadSquad, Silverlight 3 is now out. You won't find it officially on the Silverlight site, but you can download it here. You will need to modify the installer package in order for it to install, otherwise you will get the infamous, "Silverlight 2 may not be installed on PowerPC." error. (Yes, Silverlight 3 still says "Silverlight 2" in the error message. It's still version 3.)

I have copied my old set of instructions from http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...ac-solved.html so that everyone can make the necessary adjustments.

No news yet on whether there is any increased speed/performance.
Very helpful! Thank you so much! Netflix is working beautifully.

-
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Awesome news mechdrew And great post layout and organization, as always.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides