FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#151) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 08:53 AM

Is it possible to do this without an external CD/DVD drive? I do have an 8GB USB stick and a 200GB USB HD.
  (#152) Old

Default 05-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Link View Post
Is it possible to do this without an external CD/DVD drive? I do have an 8GB USB stick and a 200GB USB HD.
It should work.

You just need to create a bootable Windows USB flash installer.
  (#153) Old

Default 05-21-2009, 12:15 AM

Thanks, I got it

Now I'm trying to read up on how to dual boot OSX and Win7 with Chameleon, but the info is all over the place regarding the partitions. I already made a backup image of my OSX install already.
  (#154) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 05-21-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Link View Post
Thanks, I got it

Now I'm trying to read up on how to dual boot OSX and Win7 with Chameleon, but the info is all over the place regarding the partitions. I already made a backup image of my OSX install already.
As long as OS X is on the 2nd partition, DellEFI should work to get Chameleon going. Not sure if it has to be there, since the Chameleon loader is pretty versatile, but I put it on the second partition just in case. Works like a charm!

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#155) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
As long as OS X is on the 2nd partition, DellEFI should work to get Chameleon going. Not sure if it has to be there, since the Chameleon loader is pretty versatile, but I put it on the second partition just in case. Works like a charm!
I have OS X on my first partition and Windows 7 RC1 on my second and it works fine with Chameleon 2.0rc1.
  (#156) Old

Default 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielN View Post
I have OS X on my first partition and Windows 7 RC1 on my second and it works fine with Chameleon 2.0rc1.
Perhaps this was a DellEFI 1.1 and not Chameleon limitation?
  (#157) Old
Expert Member

Default 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfruit View Post
Perhaps this was a DellEFI 1.1 and not Chameleon limitation?
I'm pretty sure its a limitation of DellEFI. To be safe put your OS X on the 2nbd partition.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#158) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM

I have followed the guide as closely as possible and have successfully installed XP and OSX 10.5.7. However, neither will boot without using the appropriate boot USB key. Meaning, for Windows to boot, I must use the windows install USB and for OSX, I must use the DellMiniBoot key.

When I turn on the mini and it tries to boot from SSD, it reads:
boot0: testing
boot0: error_

So, my problem is obviously with the boot. I'm just hoping I don't have to reinstall everything again. Also, I'm not sure if the problem is in the order of the partitions, but it is as follows:
1.WNDWS ~20Gb NTFS
2.EFI ~8Mb unformatted
3.OSXMINI9~37Gb HFS+

Suggestions?
  (#159) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 06:13 PM

I've seen that error before but can't remember what caused it. But the more immediate issue is that the OSX partition needs to be partition #2. Try backing up your OSX install, deleting the EFI & OSX partition, and then restoring your OSX install to a new partition. Then rerun DellEFI/NetbookInstaller to reinstall the bootloader.

(You can also try just deleting the EFI partition and rerunning DellEFI/NetbookInstaller but I'm not sure if that would work or not.)

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB STEC SSD | 16GB RiData SDHC
Triple Boot: Windows 7 | OSX 10.6 | XP