Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Mini 10V with OS X 10.6.3-computer won't start up - 03-15-2012, 02:42 AM

I have a Nicolodeon mini 10v running OS 10.6.3 I bought it a year and a half ago and hacked it into the Mac mini. It was running fine and I used it for several months before giving it to a deserving student.

He has had it for almost a year and just recently it has acquired a glitch where it won't start up. Sooo, rather than try and figure it out (he's not real computer savvy) he returned it to me.

I have tried to search about this problem but can't find anything. Has anyone had this problem? I'm planning on re-hacking it and seeing if that will fix it.

Alternatively, is it possible to turn it back into a windows computer (ick!)

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Last edited by labrat; 03-15-2012 at 02:53 AM.
  (#2) Old

Default 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Will the computer get to the point of trying to load OS X and then fail? or will it not even post?
My money is on the student running the 10.6.8 update.
If it is that just re-install 10.6.0 or .3 over the existing install, re-run NBI and you should be good to go.
If the machine wont post that's a bigger problem.
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#3) Old

Default 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabhunter View Post
Will the computer get to the point of trying to load OS X and then fail? or will it not even post?
My money is on the student running the 10.6.8 update.
If it is that just re-install 10.6.0 or .3 over the existing install, re-run NBI and you should be good to go.
If the machine wont post that's a bigger problem.
Mike

Thank you, CH, I will check it this evening when I get home from work. I'm glad to have my mini back in any case!
  (#4) Old

Default 03-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Thanks, CH! I haven't gotten to re hacking yet but just got a message from the student's mom that he DID try to upgrade. I told him when I gave him the computer NOT to do that unless he was sure he knew what he was doing.

I may do the upgrade, maybe not!
  (#5) Old

Default 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Mini Update:

The computer will come on, the Dell logo comes up, the apple logo comes up and then it restarts.

It will answer the F2 command and go to the menu so I will try the rehack. I hope to do the upgrade as well, might as well, right?

(#6) Old

Default 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrat View Post
Thanks, CH! I haven't gotten to re hacking yet but just got a message from the student's mom that he DID try to upgrade. I told him when I gave him the computer NOT to do that unless he was sure he knew what he was doing.

I may do the upgrade, maybe not!
After installing 10.6 (or 10.6.3), run Netbook Installer 20100616212351 (available from NetbookInstaller 20100616212351.zip ). Restart.

Download and install the 10.6.7 Update Combo (available from
Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo . Restart.

Run Netbook Installer 20100616212351 again. Restart.

Next, run Software Update (Apple menu), select the 10.6.8 update and set it as Ignored (Update menu in the Menu Bar), so that it disappears from the list, and install the rest.

Then run NetbookInstaller again, followed by a Restart.

Next Repair Disk Permissions (Go Menu->Utilities->Disk Utility).

Then run NetbookInstaller again, followed by a Restart.

10v Windows XP
  (#7) Old

Default 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Re hack as sucessful as the first time, running great! Next for the update Woo Hoo!

Thanks for all the input.

BTW, when I got the 10V back, it would just start, go to the apple start up screen, reboot, and repeat until turned off.