Mac OS X Guides Guides for installing and configuring Mac OSX on your Dell Mini.

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Mac OS X on Dell Mini 10v How To Video
Published by masari
06-06-2009
Cool Mac OS X on Dell Mini 10v How To Video

Here are links to part 1 and part 2 of you tube video showing how to install OS X on the Dell Mini 10v...

Tutorial Tools

Featured Tutorials
Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't looked at it yet, but awesome. What method? I was going to do one after I got back to town, but now I'll just worry about the 2 GB RAM upgrade, unless someone else beats me to it.

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
Old 06-07-2009, 04:23 AM

I read your thread from last week, plus viewed a video on You Tube. Ultimately I wound up using two USB drives.

Dowloaded Syslinux
Downloaded Dell Mini Boot
Downloaded and tried both DellEFI1.1 and DellEFI1.25, 1.25 worked better for me I couldn't get sound to work with 1.1.
Dowloaded the sound driver, again from your thread
Installed all the OS X updates (except 10.5.7) using software update.
Then installed 10.5.7 by itself using software update, and followed the procedure in the 10.5.7 thread.

Everything works and runs great... this thing is more responsive and runs better with OS X 10.5.7 than it did with Windows XP. I also installed iWorks 09, iLife 09, iPhone SDK 3.0 beta & Chromium for Mac and everything works really well. I get about 2.5-3 hours with the base 3 cell battery with wifi on, and screen set to lowest brightness (which is still pretty bright).
Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masari View Post
Here are links to part 1 and part 2 of you tube video showing how to install OS X on the Dell Mini 10v...
Great videos. Not just from a how-to perspective, but video quality, etc. was excellent. Thanks for sharing these as I'm sure it will help others in the future.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Well done!

It didn't make me want to trade my mini 9 in for a mini 10v but your video ought to reassure people that installing OSX on a Dell mini is a relatively painless procedure.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:31 AM

Thanks... I've found it easier to do something like this if I can just watch it being done. Sometimes reading a guide can still be somewhat confusing.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 AM

nicely done now I'm i have to patiently waiting for my 10v arrive on thursday!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Masari-

If you have a Mac, is it necessary to use Syslinux? Can't you just use the DellEFIBootMaker app as outlined in the How-To: Install Mac OS X - DellEFI Method 1 v3.02? Thank you for making the video.

Also, can I install OSX from an external hard drive as opposed to a flash drive? I would think that so long as the Mini can boot off the external device it would not matter if it is flash or hard drive based, but all the posts that I have seen are from people using flash drives.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
Masari-

If you have a Mac, is it necessary to use Syslinux? Can't you just use the DellEFIBootMaker app as outlined in the How-To: Install Mac OS X - DellEFI Method 1 v3.02? Thank you for making the video.

Also, can I install OSX from an external hard drive as opposed to a flash drive? I would think that so long as the Mini can boot off the external device it would not matter if it is flash or hard drive based, but all the posts that I have seen are from people using flash drives.
Robby818,

I'm not really sure... I thought I needed to download and run syslinux on the usb drive to make it bootable. If you try it out please let me know if it works.

I have another 10v on the way and plan to upgrade it as well. I'll try the DellEFIBootMaker app for that one and let you know if it works.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masari View Post
Robby818,

I'm not really sure... I thought I needed to download and run syslinux on the usb drive to make it bootable. If you try it out please let me know if it works.

I have another 10v on the way and plan to upgrade it as well. I'll try the DellEFIBootMaker app for that one and let you know if it works.
Yes, my Mini10v arrived this morning and is waiting for me at home. Last night, I imaged my OSX DVD to a Western Digital Portable USB Hard Drive and then ran the DellEFIBootMaker on it. I am interested to see if the Dell Mini 10v will boot from the hard drive and install OSX. I'll definitely post on how my install goes. Thanks for replying to my question.

UPDATE: It works! The external hard drive worked seamlessly. I opted out of all the additional language support and printer drivers so install only took 15 minutes (16 GB SSD). I still need to run the DellEFI but so far so good.

UPDATE 2: Well, I booted into the OSX desktop and installed 1.25a, then I kept getting kernel panics. I re-installed OSX from scratch and will try 1.1. Glad that installation is only 15 minutes, I might be doing this a few times...

UPDATE 3: I am fine until I try and install either DellEFI 1.1 or 1.25a . I cannot reboot back into OSX after installing either of those. I have 1 GB RAM, SSD, and Bluetooth.
Comment

Tags
dell mini 10v, how to, mac os x

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools