Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#21) Old

Default 03-10-2013, 11:35 AM

I'm glad that it worked. I recommend you also try the new kernel if you have any issues.

I have A07 BIOS and I didn't have any problems, also tried this second method with the new kernel on two dell mini 9s and they are rock solid, no crashes.

Dell Mini 9 | A07 BIOS | 16GB Runcore | 2 GB RAM | MAC OS X 10.6.8 |
  (#22) Old

Default 03-19-2013, 07:20 AM

thanks for the updated kernel where ever you found it. I like checking to see if there are any updates every couple months or so. Is it safe to remove the lidsleep kext now? or do I need it still/ is there a dsdt fix?
...I don't have the bluetooth chip currently, but theres no sure dsdt fix for the toggle? it seems like it wouldnt be too hard to get working.
  (#23) Old

Default 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM

I think it is safe to remove that kext, I cant be 100% since I did a fresh install and did not use any custom kexts.

The only modification I did was to apply the sound patch.

About the bluetooth toggle, there are some methods on the forum, but I had little success with them, I just got kernel panics or bluetooth disappeared or it showed that it was off but it was actually still on. I didnt put much effort into this bluetooth toggle thing, since I just dont use it, it is disabled in the bios and thats that...

If you dont have a chip just get a bluetooth dongle instead of installing the chip, it would be much simpler.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbiker99 View Post
thanks for the updated kernel where ever you found it.
I wish I knew where I found it I tried so many kernels, and downloaded them all but did not remember where I downloaded them from.

Spent an hour trying to find the page where I found it, but no luck.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Ok I found it, if someone does not trust my upload you can get this kernel here directly:

Ядро 10.8.0 xnu-1504.15.3~1 (Mac OS X 10.6.8) | tea blog

(#24) Old

Default 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM

thanks , nice to know where things came from.
my mini 9 sees to be a little more responsive with this kernel. cheers everybody!

zeitung, how does you dm9 run with the Kingspec- does it sleep correctly and not freeze on wake up? I was looking into swapping out the stock one in mine and runcore are either out of stock or too expensive for what it is.

Last edited by alienbiker99; 03-20-2013 at 05:38 AM.
  (#25) Old

Default 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbiker99 View Post
thanks , nice to know where things came from.
my mini 9 sees to be a little more responsive with this kernel. cheers everybody!

zeitung, how does you dm9 run with the Kingspec- does it sleep correctly and not freeze on wake up? I was looking into swapping out the stock one in mine and runcore are either out of stock or too expensive for what it is.
I have to fix my signature The 64GB kingspec died recently (if anyone has an idea how to fix it, disku utility sees it, but when trying to partition it hangs at "wating for device to reappear", tried to partition it also under linux and windows, no luck).

So currently I am using my backup 16GB runcore and I must say screw that extra 48GB of space, runcore is much much better. Too bad the cost so much $$$...

On my other mini I have a kingspec 32GB and it is acting as my old 64GB. I noticed that when the computer is cold it would often freeze...so when turning it on or when waking from a long sleep. Once it warms up there are no more problems.

Currenty my friend is using the mini with the 32gb kingspec (also with this new kernel) and just today I saw how it hanged at boot, the spinning thing under the apple logo just stopped, then he forced a shut down and on the next boot everything was ok. The computer was in the car overnight and it was quite cold, so I think it has something to do with the temperature.

(#26) Old

Default 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM

so i found this while looking around for a fix and dont really know why I never saw this before. But looks like ill be keeping my stock ssd for now, as sleep works for me. I manually disabled hibernation after having everything else running and updated.
(Disable hibernation and delete the sleepimage file:
Open Terminal and run these two:
- sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
- sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage)

"For you STEC users out there that can't get your mini 9 to sleep on 10.6.8, here is the fix!

This is how I did it:
Locate /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext and delete it. Now go into Extra/GeneralExtensions and notice that you already have IOATAFamily.kext in there. That's the conflict, I had two of them loading at startup causing a problem. ....Done, that's it. Now my mini 9 sleeps perfectly."
(SOURCE: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...update-11.html )
  (#27) Old

Default 03-31-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitung View Post
UPDATE

1. Install 10.6.3 from a USB patched with netbook boot maker.

2. Run software update (first install the "other" updates, restart between as required and at the end the 10.6.8)

3. Will restart automatically after the 10.6.8, when it boots you will get the NBI logo, just wait until it is finished, than you wont be able to boot normally anymore

4. Hold shift at boot and type "recovery=yes"

5. Replace the kernel with the one in the zip withe these commands in the Terminal:

sudo mv /pathtofolderwithkernel/mach_kernel_atom /mach kernel

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel

5. Run NetbookInstaller 20100616212351 (with default settings)

6. Restart

7. Now everything should be operational (except the MIC) - install remaining updates via software update (i did them one by one, it failed if i tried all at once...)

8. Apply sound patch if you need it
the above works great! everything worked after step 7, even the internal mic worked without patching. I bought my dell mini 9 back when they were new, and it;s like a new machine for me with osx. I always wanted to try garageband. Just installed it and want to record some guitar tracks.

Last edited by MD9; 03-31-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
  (#28) Old

Default 04-01-2013, 09:11 AM

I am glad it worked MD9!

It really is funny how well this 5 years old netbook runs

(#29) Old

Default 06-15-2013, 02:39 PM

i may have to try this, im still running osx on 10.5.8
  (#30) Old

Default 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM

as an update to anyone looking in the next few weeks/months. Just ran software update with new itunes, java, security fix and safari. rebooted and everything is still perfect. just set hibernatemode 0 to be sure and everything is running. cheers guys