Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default Snow Leopard but no updates - 05-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Hi, I just installed snow leopard on my mini 9

How can I get sound working? It says no output device in sys prefs...

Also how can I do updates? I tried to do the combo update and it borked?
  (#2) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Tried with this again this morning, using this guide. Had working 10.6 (no sound) and repaired disc (as instructed in the guide - it needed repairing) and tried to do combo update. Combo update went through entire update process seemingly without any issues but then right at the end of the update it just goes to the desktop but with no interface (just cursor and bg image). Then it restarted and just went into a perpetual reboot loop - boots to first grey screen then restarts, boots to first grey screen then restarts, ad infinitum...

What can I do..?

I've gone from a fully working 10.5.8 (with sound and updates) to semi-working 10.6 (no sound, no updates)

Can it be fixed..?
  (#3) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Update: I tried running the netbookInstaller 0.8.4 after the initial 10.6 install. Previously I was using 0.8.3

It hasn't made a difference. As soon as the 10.6.3 update completes the netbook goes into a reboot cycle. There is some text on the grey screen but it disappears too quickly to read...

Anyone?
  (#4) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Also tried downloading and installing 10.6.2 but it says my drive does not meet the requirements of the installer...?

is there nothing I can try?
  (#5) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Just reinstalled SL over the weekend - if you have a working SL 10.6 installation then you should be OK to update to 10.6.3

Only concern I have is that your saying sound is not working, when using the retail disk you should have everything running including sound - but excluding the internal mic.

After the install (10.6.0) - are you running the netbook installer??? 8.4RC1, once you have run this you can update to 10.6.3 - computer should boot back up on first boot after update you should see the netbook icon, again you should have a working 10.6.3 install with the exception of the interal mic, this needs to be fixed separately.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Hey, thanks, I was running the wrong netbook installer >< I used 8.4RC1 and it worked with sleep and sound

There's just one thing, when I installed 10.6, my hardrive icon was a new orange one, and I had around 7 GB of drive space left. After running the NBI though my drive icon has reverted back to normal and I have 6 GB of space?