Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#11) Old

Default 01-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
1st....she has stated earlier in the thread that

Hahaha

Quote:
she needs to:
Thanks, that seems straightforward and I'll get back to you once I have a copy of Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1012 View Post
There is no need for to buy a licensed copy of Windows. She purchased a license when she purchased the system. The sticker should be on the bottom.
Indeed it is Max1012 - I went through four operators on the phone to Dell giving all the information they asked for until finally they told me that as it was out of warranty I'd have to buy a new disc. I complained. Politely but firmly. They would not budge. Pay up or don't get the disc.

Quote:
Heck, I'd even try a restore from a system checkpoint from, say, a week prior.
How do I do that if, as I've already stated:

The Launch Startup Repair Screen leads back immediately to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

The Start Windows Normally option shuts down then boots to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

and all I can get into is the Bios?

Quote:
Install media for Windows is readily downloadable.
Have you got a link Max1012? I've looked for Windows 7 and can't find a downloadable link.

Last edited by jude_calvert_toulmin; 01-25-2012 at 02:40 PM.
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-25-2012, 03:22 PM

you can get it from the Microsoft site, or Amazon, Bestbuy etc, downloading a pirated copy from a filehosting site (Rapidshare,Filefactory..etc) is illegal and is NOT supported on this site so you would be on your own if you did that.....
we do not allow ANY discussion of pirated software here...sorry....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#13) Old

Default Same problem, not solved by clean Windows install - 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Hi all, I have the same problem as the original poster; however, I already did a clean Windows 7 starter install and no luck; I get the same problem -- Windows bluescreens if I try to start it normally, then I restart and try repairs, which also end in an error message saying they were unsuccessful, and asking me whether I want to report the problem to microsoft. The computer did operate fine for a couple weeks before this started happening again. I am assuming I must have some sort of hardware problem here. Is this correct, and can I safely assume it is the HDD? I was thinking of replacing it, perhaps with a solid state drive, and do another clean install, but haven't looked into that yet as I'm not sure that it is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My computer is an Inspiron Mini 10 - 1012 Laptop Genuine Windows 7 Starter. I upgraded the RAM to a 2 GB stick previously (the computer worked fine for a couple months after the upgrade). The computer as a whole only worked for a couple months, so this was quite disappointing to have this happen. It's refurbished and not eligible for warranty.

Last edited by turkey; 02-02-2012 at 10:11 AM.
  (#14) Old

Default 02-04-2012, 05:39 AM

Since you already have the OEM license for Win7 Starter, you may be eligible to purchase the HP 32bit upgrade OEM DVD from Dell. It's a cheaper option compared to buying a full retail version of it. Good luck.
  (#15) Old

Default 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM

Hello again everyone! Well, I bought a copy of Windows 7, have it on a pen drive and think the HD must be kaput.

The error code 0x80070057 seems to be a general one relating to HD problems. So, is the next step installing a new HD and attempting to load the new OS onto that?

(Oh...since I last saw you all I won Come Dine With Me Sheffield and one of my novels became a best-seller. But royalties take months to come through and my Fisher Price is still broken. Swings and roundabouts.)

Here's what happens in full:

Press F12
Boot : USB storage
Windows is loading files
Windows 7 screen
choose language
either install now/what to know before installing windows/repair computer

repair computer:

1) System recovery options

Use recovery tools that can help fix problems

Operating system: Windows 7 Partition size 0kb Location D: Local Disk

System recovery operations:

Searching for windows installations (searches with blue bar) - takes you back to same screen

2) install now

setup is starting (takes about 10 minutes with waiting cursor whirling round)

licence terms screen click accept

which installation?

upgrade
custom (advanced)

custom:

where do you want to install windows?

disk 0 partition 1 39.MB Free Space: 30.00MB OEM (Reserved)
disk 0 partition 2 RECOVERY 14.6GB Free Space 10.6GB System
disk 0 Partition 3 218.2 GB Free space 218.2 GB Primary

click partition 3

installing windows...

copying files (0%)

error message:

Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057

Last edited by jude_calvert_toulmin; 02-22-2012 at 07:28 AM.
  (#16) Old

Default 02-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Just for reference for those who have similar problems and are following this thread. Well, that didn't work. But I got some advice from a friend and he told me to delete two partitions (I chose to delete 2 and 3) then add a new partition, which I did (the system files were automatically installed onto partition 1) and I then installed Windows successfully on the new partition!

HOORAY!

Thanks for all your help everyone, but especially to rrfranczak3

I now have a slight further problem, I'm wondering whether I need to download drivers as the display is rubbish. I'll have a look through this forum to see if I can find an answer...

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

OK, tried to download the graphics card drivers from the list on this thread and I'm getting an error message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will exit."

Anyone got any ideas where I can download graphics drivers? Do you want me to start a new thread for this?
  (#17) Old

Thumbs up 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Some of the links on the driver download list on the link I gave in my last post aren't working or are out of date, however fyi I've found these driver links for the Dell Inspiron 1012, which, so far (half way through) are all working.
  (#18) Old

Default 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Oh what a joyous three hours of mess-ups (not.)

After downloading some of those drivers in a ramshackle order, and in the middle downloading Skype (wtf was I thinking of) the computer came to a complete standstill and I had to start from scratch and install the OS again.

Then after a bit of research I decided to download all the drivers from the Dell website, starting at this page where I inputted my Dell service tag number. Let's see if this works....oh I downloaded Avast first...

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Quote:
DON'T FORGET TO RELOAD YOUR DELL DRIVERS ALSO!!
Yes I know I can hear you LOL! I really should stick to writing in future instead of trying to be a girl-geek.
  (#19) Old

Default 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM

Well finally I did it using the Drivers from the Dell website, installed in order (over 30 of them!) and the Fisher Price is working perfectly, in fact better and faster than before it broke. I am absolutely overjoyed and I can't thank all of you enough for putting up with my n00b questions and being so polite and helpful; you're all a huge credit to the site.

Thanks especially to rrfranczak3 - I honestly could not have done this without your help.

MWAH!
  (#20) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM

glad you got your system back again....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case