Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Default Windows Error Recovery screen looping back to itself - 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Hi everyone.

My Dell Mini 1012 was just out of warranty when it froze during use and I couldn't even switch it off. Out of desperation I took the battery out, put it back in again and then when I tried to boot up it went to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

The Launch Startup Repair Screen leads back immediately to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

The Start Windows Normally option shuts down then boots to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

I can get into Bios and have reset to default settings. No joy.

If the Bios is there, does that mean the HD is still working?

Do I need to buy a new HD and then reinstall the OS via (something like) WinToFlash?

My husband's rather condescending pet name for my Dell Mini is "The Fisher Price". Well I miss my Fisher Price and want it back

Any advice greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

btw all the options on the Advanced Boot Options Menu lead back to the Windows Error Recovery Screen so I can't get to the Command Prompt.

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 01-18-2012 at 04:24 PM.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM

you do not need a new HD I dont think, sounds like Windows (MBR) Master Boot Record has be come corrupted....usually re-formattting the HD and re-loading Windows will solve this

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 01-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
you do not need a new HD I dont think, sounds like Windows (MBR) Master Boot Record has be come corrupted....usually re-formattting the HD and re-loading Windows will solve this
Apologies for cross posting I thought n00bs had to post in the beginner's section as well as elsewhere...

Thanks. How do I reformat the HD? From the Bios? And by re-loading Windows do you mean as I suggested putting the Windows OS on a USB stick and installing it from there?
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM

you can either create a USB install (there are instructions on the forum here, just search) or you can use an external CD/DVD drive (try to make sure that the drive has its own power supply as where sometimes the Mini's do not provide enough power to run the CD/DVD drive (The Minis only have 1 'powered' USB to begin with...usually its the USB closest to where the AC adapter plugs in and sometimes even that isnt enough power).....as far as formatting goes when you do the install just pick the option for NEW installation, it will prompt you to delete the current partition, then it will format it and begin the install, the only thing you may have to change in the BIOS is you must make sure that 'Legacy USB' is enabled there otherwise the Mini will NEVER boot to the USB regardless of whether you are using a USB flashdrive or an external CD/VD, it will never boot to it without enabling 'Legacy USB' 1st....

UPDATE:....here is the instructions to make it easier for ya

yes WinsetupfromUSB works very well, I am the one who posted it here originally, here is the complete install procedure if anyone else needs it:

NO DVD DRIVE NEEDED:

THIS PROCEDURE HAS BEEN USED BY MANY, I HAVE OVER A THOUSAND DOWNLOADS ON THIS

re-create the USB stick using this:

Download this utility.....I used it many times and hundreds (over 1016 at last count) have also
link:

WinsetupfromUSB

make sure 1st that you prep the USB drive..theres an option to format it (RMPrepUSB) on the 1st screen and make sure you check off the Win 7 then on the 2nd screen use the NTFS option on the left

1st screen

2nd screen

Good Luck....let me know if you need more help..........

Complete Instructions Here:

WinSetupFromUSB – Install Windows XP from USB Flash Drive ź myeeeguides.wordpress.com

and yes it works for Win 7 also, just check off the box for Win 7..see 1st screen

DON'T FORGET TO RELOAD YOUR DELL DRIVERS ALSO!!

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 01-19-2012 at 04:38 PM.
  (#5) Old

Default 01-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Before formatting and starting from scratch, try a repair install. That way, you still have your programs and data.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Dell Mini 1012 black, 1.6GHz N450, 2GB RAM, 64GB Samsung 470-series SSD, 1366x768 HD LCD, Broadcomm HD accelerator, external Blu-Ray player with decoder, built-in TV tuner, Intel wireless b/g, Bluetooth 2.1 w/EDR, Windows 7 Professional, Office Professional Plus 2010
  (#6) Old

Default 01-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
here is the instructions to make it easier for ya
Thanks rrfranczak3, very helpful indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1012
Before formatting and starting from scratch, try a repair install.
How do I do a repair install? Is there an option within rrfranczak3's method to do this? tbh I only ever used the Fisher Price for writing which I would immediately email to myself for storage and didn't store docs on it so I don't need to recover anything...

Naturally I don't have the OS on disc as Dell Minis don't ship with a start-up disc, so I'm having a look on the Dell website for Windows 7....can't see it anywhere...I'll have a look through this forum as well....can anyone provide a working link to where I can download it?
...I phoned Dell and they want to charge me 40 quid for a replacement disc. (insert swear word.) The computer is only 20 months old!

Last edited by jude_calvert_toulmin; 01-23-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: additional text
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM

I believe that the 1012's shipped with a 'restore partition' on them thats why Dell stopped sending discs, if you can boot into the 'restore partition' then that will prompt you through the restore process, but if the HD is too far corrupt then that will not work either.....reformatting and reinstalling is the only option left providing that your HD is in fact is still good

BTW as far a buying a copy of Windows 7, you can always try going to a brick and mortar store like Staples or Best Buy or whatever it is that they have over there in England.....also you can go to the Microsoft site and pay and download it, obviously in this case you would need another PC to do that

(#8) Old

Default 01-24-2012, 01:35 AM

When booting to Windows 7 via DVD or USB, the installer gives you the option to search for and repair an existing Windows 7 installation on the hard drive. I'd try that first before reformatting, especially if you have a lot of data you'd like to keep.

Dell Mini 1012 black, 1.6GHz N450, 2GB RAM, 64GB Samsung 470-series SSD, 1366x768 HD LCD, Broadcomm HD accelerator, external Blu-Ray player with decoder, built-in TV tuner, Intel wireless b/g, Bluetooth 2.1 w/EDR, Windows 7 Professional, Office Professional Plus 2010
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Cool 01-24-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1012 View Post
When booting to Windows 7 via DVD or USB, the installer gives you the option to search for and repair an existing Windows 7 installation on the hard drive. I'd try that first before reformatting, especially if you have a lot of data you'd like to keep.
1st....she has stated earlier in the thread that she does not have any DVD's

2nd...she has also stated earlier in the thread that she has nothing to be saved/restored on the system

3rd...the system has to be working to even try to do an install/repair

4th...She needs to have the DVD and an external drive to use it in OR a created Windows Install on a USB thumbdrive

she needs to:

1. double check and see if the system still has the restore partition intact or not

IF NOT THEN:
1. buy a licensed copy of Windows no matter which version she chooses (Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate) and Win 7 is the only one available now.....

2. decide to reload either through an external DVD/CD drive or with a USB thumbdrive

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 01-24-2012 at 02:40 AM.
  (#10) Old

Default 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM

There is no need for to buy a licensed copy of Windows. She purchased a license when she purchased the system. The sticker should be on the bottom. Unless she is running a different version than what came with the system. Install media for Windows is readily downloadable. However, if you complain to Dell loudly enough, they will generally just send you a disc. Then just make a USB boot drive as described above.

Repair installs won't need the code though anyways, and are much easier and quicker. Drivers stay put, etc. And no, Windows does not need to be working to do a repair install (which would be the main reason for even doing a repair install). As long as the hardware is all OK.

Heck, I'd even try a restore from a system checkpoint from, say, a week prior.

Always try least invasive/expensive/time-comsuming options first.

Last edited by Max1012; 01-25-2012 at 12:12 AM.