Feedback Tell us what you think of the site, forum or anything, feel free to suggest too!

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default How would you change the site? - 08-02-2010, 11:25 AM

It's been a while since any major changes to MyDellMini, I'd like to know if anyone else feels the site needs a bit of a refresh!

A few ideas that are floating around my head at the moment:
  • Forum redesign - Something a bit more modern?
  • Separate Dell Mini / Dell Streak sections
  • Upgrade to vBulletin 4
  • More Social features (facebook etc)
  • Mobile Site for Dell Streak
If you can think of anything else or have any criticism now is the time to submit it!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-16-2010, 11:45 PM

maybe the addition of a Shoutbox?..for all currently logged on users to chat one on one/with each other in a "Live" sort of environment..it would be good to require a secondary login & password which could be the same as their regular login and password but this would keep the shout box on a more up to date/live type situation..should also include some sort of an inactivity timer where as if the user was inactive for xxx minutes (a pre-set time), it would log them off of the Shoutbox, but not out of the forum this way anyone that appears in the Shoutbox would actually be on-line and available for chat

maybe the addition of a Graveyard...that would include ALL closed threads for all forums for people to be able to VIEW only..granted it would have to be up to the mods to move the threads there but I am a mod on other sites and it actually works out quite well as long as the mods stay on their game..now that forum would build up over time...maybe the admins could have some sort of an auto purge routine to run nightly that would delete anything in the Graveyard older than xxx days (ie, 90days or 120days...3 or 4 months)

maybe the addition of a software/links forum that would ONLY include software links to sites that offer free software/upgrades/info for the Minis, that could be broken down by topic...such as DRIVERS, APPLICATIONS, MANUALS, UPGRADES, HOW-TO's..etc, granted most of this exists already but it is so scattered it makes it very hard to find for any user never mind new users..this also would require some up keep by the part of the mods

maybe the combining of the Beginners and General Questions forums...I really dont see much of a difference between them..I think they might be able to be combined in to a single forum maybe just called Questions

maybe expanding the new users creation process to sort of forcing the user to enter in the specs for their systems to be included in their signature (auto update into signature field) this would be helpful for those answering questions for the users. (as a pretty active user on this forum the first questions are usually what system do you have a 1010,1011,1012 etc..what OS are you on XP, Win 7, OSX, Linux..etc) by the user entering this info upon registration this would alleviate a lot of back and forth banter before you even get to the actual issue at hand, now this can be done in either a free form text type entry or through programming with either drop down lists or radio buttons and let the user click on the specs that they have installed.

as far as some of the other things mentioned such as Facebook and Twitter options I guess would be good, I dont use either..but then again where do you stop?..do you then add Myspace and any of the others?.there are new ones coming out all the time...where does it end?..either you gotta include them all or none..everyone will tell you a different one is more important to them..I dont even text on my phone...thats why I have a 17inch HP 3.2ghz Laptop and a Mini 10 for portability

Also other mobile features might be handy being as where thats where our society seems to be heading..agree or not it is..personally there is NOTHING that important that I need to text to somebody while I am driving down the road..but then again thats just me

I really dont think we need a separate section for the Streak, it still a Dell product, if we are gonna do that why not a separate section for Alienware also.......I think its broken down enough as it is now...

YES....I am a Systems Programmer/Analyst/Developer

still thinking of more!!!

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-17-2010, 01:46 AM

I like most of the above suggestions. I'm indifferent to the Shoutbox, but that's only because I never really used them.

The graveyard is a fantastic idea, and can be indeed quite handy. I'm a big fan of it, especially on some of the other sites I've been an admin/mod on.

I also like the idea of the expansion of the new user creation process too. It's always good to know what the user has, especially when they don't provide it right away.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 08-20-2010, 02:58 AM

Mostly, I miss the dark theme for the forum, mostly.

...Or am I just an idiot and the option to use the dark theme has been moved?
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM

That is a good question. I do miss the dark theme as well. After a hiatus, I noticed it was light, and I never bothered to go look to change.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#6) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM

'lo, just to drop in to let you know I am reading the feedback in this thread!

The dark skin was retired as only about 2% of active members were using it and with every update I had to edit two templates manually instead of one. Thankfully the next version of vBulletin (3.8.7) will be the last one on version 3, once this is released I will be able to play away to my hearts content without any fear of having to re-do it all again.

My plan is to modernise the layout (break out of the <tables>) to reduce the page sizes and do everything through CSS, it should then be easy to factor in a similiar dark skin again.

As for hating against Dell Streak I am working on a solution too, I'm simply gonna add tabs for different sections here is my plan so far - do give feedback because I am a bit doubtful to whether I have got it right:

Tabs
Home
Forum
- News
- General
- Beginners
- Where to Buy
- For Sale
- OS Forums
-- And all the subforums.

Dell Minis/Netbooks (can't decide on name)
- Dell Mini 9
-- Dell Mini 9 Subforums...
-Dell Mini 10
-- Dell Mini 10
---Dell Mini 1010
---Dell Mini 10v
---Dell Mini 1012
---Dell Mini 1018 (so getting rid of Dell Mini 10 Hardware/Upgrades)
- Other Dell Products
-- Alienware
-- Dell Mini 11z
-- Dell M101z
-- Dell Mini 12
-- Dell Nettops
--- Zino, Studio Hybrid

Dell Mobile
- Dell Streak
-- Dell Streak Subforums
- Dell Smartphones
-- Aero
-- Mini 3i etc
-Mobile OS
-- Android
--- Apps, Dev etc.
-- Windows Phone 7

What do you think?

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#7) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 08-20-2010, 05:22 PM

I like it! Seems very organized. Keep up the good work!
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 08-21-2010, 07:13 PM

isnt Dell Mini 10 and Dell Mini 1010 the same?...
also all sub topics should be the Same..not Dell Mini 1010 and Dell Mini 10v should be either Dell Mini 10 and Dell Mini 10v or even better Dell 1010 (Mini 10), Dell 1011 (Mini 10v), Dell 1012 (New Mini 10 white) and Dell 1018 (New Mini 10 black) etc...also I guess there will be something for guides...I think that all guides should be grouped together under One Topic Called Guides then sub topics for each of the models and maybe another Topic called Downloads for any FREE (public domain) software/freeware

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case