Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Question New and need advice - 09-24-2012, 09:01 PM

Ok so I got this mini dell from my sister-in-law. I am trying to update this mini 1012 from windows starter to windows 7 home preimium. come to find out through microsoft that I have a corrupted system. They are sending me a disk with my windows 7 on it since my mini wont take the download.

here is the problem. i don't have a DVD ROM drive. I know I can get one that connects using USB but what should I get?

My second question is: If I dont want to spend the extra cash, can I hook my mini to my husbands larger laptop with a USB cable and use his built in DVD ROM to read and install the system disk to the mini 1012?
  (#2) Old

Default 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzeld View Post
here is the problem. i don't have a DVD ROM drive. I know I can get one that connects using USB but what should I get?
if you have a 8GB (at least) usb key or an external usb hard drive, dont bother getting a dvd drive.you can install seven with a usb key from the dvd rom sent by microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzeld View Post
My second question is: If I dont want to spend the extra cash, can I hook my mini to my husbands larger laptop with a USB cable and use his built in DVD ROM to read and install the system disk to the mini 1012?
no, you can't link them but you can use that laptop with its dvd drive to transfer seven to the usb key

there are plenty of pages on that subject on google typing
install seven from usb

you generally need a small program that will transfer the operating system from the dvd to the usb key and make that key a bootable drive.

then the key is used to install seven on the mini

clear enough?