General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
appleguru appleguru is offline
Senior Member
 
appleguru's Avatar
 
Posts: 228
Join Date: Mar 2009
Send a message via AIM to appleguru
Exclamation **OFFICIAL** Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update Thread - 06-15-2010, 11:01 PM

***UPDATED 10.6.4 Upgrade Instructions***
1) Install this version of NBI (From post 67): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
2) Install the 10.6.4 update.
3) Once it reboots, you should see the NBI logo at boot. Be patient until it reboots (takes a while).

If you've already installed 10.6.4 with the old version of NBI and are getting a kernel panic, follow these instructions:

1) Boot up holding down the shift key. At the grey screen with your boot disc, type recovery=y. You should see this show up in the bottom left corner of the screen. Hit enter. This should let your machine boot into recovery mode, without lots of extensions loaded.
2) Run the new version of NBI from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip
3) Reboot. You should be good to go now!

If for whatever reason you can't get the New NBI on your netbook, you can fix the issue that caused the KP by decreasing the size of your kernel extensions. Boot into recovery mode and then open the Terminal from your /Applications/Utilities folder. Type "cd /System/Library/Extensions" and hit enter. Then type "sudo rm -rf NVD* ATI* GeForce* AppleIntelGMAX3100*" and hit enter. Run NBI, reboot, and you should be good!

------------
10.6.4 is out! Post your upgrade experiences here.

I'll start with mine:

Dell mini 9 with NBI 0.8.4 RC1. I updated to 10.6.4 via the downloaded update from apple's site. After installation, it rebooted to the Netbook Installer Screen. After 10 minutes or so, it rebooted. Now it kernel panics! Looks like NBI's kernel patcher needs to get updated for the 10.6.4 kernel! (version 10.4 I think?)

Those who can risk it, try installing 10.6.4 and reporting back here. I advise the general populous to hold off until NBI gets updated though!


White Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.4 | BIOS A05 | 8GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM
8GB Class 6 SDHC | 0.3MP Cam | NBI: 0.8.4 RC1
No Int. BT | USB Legacy support : [Enabled] | Mic Working via ALC268.kext
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
chipfiev chipfiev is offline
Member
 
Posts: 37
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default 06-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Same here...mini 10v with rc1. Kernel panic...


Dell Mini 10v: 1.6 GHz Atom, 2GB RAM, 64 GB Kingston SSDNow V-Series, Mac OS X 10.6.4, A04 BIOS, NBI 0.8.4 RC1
MacBook Pro: 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.4
Mac mini: 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 440GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.4
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
meklort meklort is offline
Guru
 
meklort's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,353
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 06-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Let me know what the panic is, I'll double check when I'm home later tonight (ay, about 3 hours). Anyways, last time I checked with 10.6.4 (a week or two ago, it worked fine with RC1, but things might have changed with the recent seed + release).


Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
noibs noibs is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southwestern Colorado
Default 06-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Standard suggestion: Wait until the 10.6.4 combo updater is released and try that. Over the years I've been burned more than once (on actual Apple hardware) by using the auto download delta updaters.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
bmcclure937 bmcclure937 is offline
Super Moderator
 
bmcclure937's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,420
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 06-15-2010, 11:23 PM

Looking forward to hearing back from meklort regarding the final seed of 10.6.4

Once he has taken a look we will work to get an official thread including instructions on how to properly update.

*EDIT* : once we have an official method to update / an updated version of NBI we will update this thread


 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
chipfiev chipfiev is offline
Member
 
Posts: 37
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM

I did use the combo updater. The nbi screen came up and the, after the reboot, I got a kernel panic.

panic(CPU 0 caller 0x2e66b108): ''Unsupported Cpu: family....

Is that what you need?


Dell Mini 10v: 1.6 GHz Atom, 2GB RAM, 64 GB Kingston SSDNow V-Series, Mac OS X 10.6.4, A04 BIOS, NBI 0.8.4 RC1
MacBook Pro: 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.4
Mac mini: 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 440GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.4
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
DashBoard Jesus DashBoard Jesus is offline
Junior Member
 
DashBoard Jesus's Avatar
 
Posts: 27
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default 06-15-2010, 11:25 PM

panic (cpu ) caller 0x1bfbb108) : "Unsupported CPU: family = 0x6, model = 0x1c, stepping =0x2"@/sourceChache/AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment/ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment -105.10/pmProcessor .c:210
Debugger Called :<panic>
Backtrace (cpu 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potiential args on stack)

That's the start of it anyhow.

Not too worried about it I'm sure it will be sorted out soon.


10v | BIOS A06 | N270 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD |Dual Boot Win7/OS X 10.6.4 |(NBI 0.8.4RC1 ) | Wireless N 1510 |
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
jmacie jmacie is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 186
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default 06-15-2010, 11:26 PM

10.6.4 combo update + NBI 0.8.4 RC1 = KP (did not identify panic)
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
Funzo Funzo is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2010
Default no kernel panic here - 06-16-2010, 12:22 AM

dell mini10v running the latest NBI with 10.6.3, just upgraded to 10.6.4 and all went well, the only issue is that it lost the ability to calculate remaining battery power
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
katiepea katiepea is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 20
Join Date: Mar 2010
Thumbs down 06-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funzo View Post
dell mini10v running the latest NBI with 10.6.3, just upgraded to 10.6.4 and all went well, the only issue is that it lost the ability to calculate remaining battery power
so, report after report of kernel panics... and your first post is the sole non kernel panic survivor...do you work for apple?
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.